Search Unity

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. blockimperium

blockimperium

I'm in for 3 licenses as soon as this thing is available. Seems to be taking forever for it to get approved :)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  2. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

It was just submitted today. Assets from new asset developers have been known to take up to two weeks. Has been in development for a bit, but that has nothing to do with asset store approval.. :p

3. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hehe - i only submitted yesty - not expecting anything until next week - in mean time need to get the web site up - aim for that is later today :)

4. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hehe - I am in Sydney, Australia, i live in the future :)

5. blockimperium

blockimperium

Kinda wish I could just send you the money so we could see if it would work for us so I can get that decision out of the way and move on to water and sky (though this thread has certainly helped me narrow down a lot of that as well).

6. mwituni

mwituni

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  7. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

WOOHOO!!!!!

Thanks to the guys at Unity for getting it up so quickly and to all of you in this forum for the motivation and support to get it done and live :)

8. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Oh... btw - the web site is coming up as we speak and a whole bunch of video tutorials will be online later today. Checl Procedural Worlds out over the next 24 hours :)

John-G likes this.
  9. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Congratulations on the release! I've been lurking for quite a while on this thread. I don't even really need to do terrain any time soon, but it looks fun. Insta-buy for me.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  10. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Better get some videos online :)

Introduction

Stamper 1 - Introduction

Stamper 2 - Blend modes

Stamper 3 - Masking

Resources 1 - Introduction

Resources 2 - Visualiser & Fitness
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_CGpVmVjWI

There is more coming in the next week :)

11. moure

moure

Damn capital controls, cant complete the transaction. Ill try to find an alternative way to top up my paypal. 25 euros for the auto texturing and spawning alone is worth it :)
    Congrats on the release! Adam is it possible to use the above features during runtime? I would like to use it for some procedural terrains (i will be creating a heightmap during scene generation)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  12. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

It does work at run time, as all the routines have been done as co-routines - however its primarily been focussed to be a editor tool, so runtime operation is the least tested of all the features.

moure likes this.
  13. Hadryel

Hadryel

Already bought it, tomorrow i will have a fun day playing with it. Yay :)!

S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  14. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

I got it as well. I have been typing Gaia into the asset store search for several days now.... WOOHOO!

15. brettj

brettj

I'm watching the videos you posted and got a question/feature request.

Instead of stamping being a process of select texture > tweak settings > stamp > repeat, what if each stamp could be preset and layered? If the stamps were layered and saved, you could come back to it and add or remove anywhere and just re-bake. That make sense?

Just thinking about how editing a terrain later could be a hassle, and how you might want to experiment more freely without major consequences (like I really hate that mountain I added 5 steps back, but I don't want to undo everything).

Congrats on shipping!

16. FyreDogStudios

FyreDogStudios

OH YEAH! Will be buying tomorrow!

17. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep this is something that's on the roadmap. One of my beta testers already started doing something similar :)

18. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Grats on the release, Adam! It has been a long road getting here, but I think folks will find it well worth the wait.

Recommendations from a beta tester:

1. RTFM (for those of you unfamiliar, kinda just boils down to read the manual) - there is a lot of good information in there. I know manuals can be dry and boring, but there is a lot of good information packed in there. Some things may even save you a lot of headaches and head banging.
    2. Watch the videos. I'm the type of person that learns better from videos and the ones Adam did for release have been great. I still need to watch all of them, but the few that I have watched even taught me a few things! And I've been beta testing with him since July! What the videos don't show you, the docs should help.
    3. If you have done 1 and 2 and still can't figure it out, ask. In addition to Adam, there are several beta testers that are active in the thread here. If Adam isn't around, there is a good chance one of us can still help figure out what the problem is.
    4. Last but not least, have fun! Think outside the box. There is a lot of different pieces and ways to use them within Gaia. There are API functionalities where you can extend it. @UnLogick (many of you know him from UMA) has worked with Adam to refine some of these capabilities. Also you have seen the recent poly type screenshots from @lazygunn where he took high res Gaia created terrain and then modified it to fit into poly environment. Lots of cool possibilities!

At any rate, again... Grats on release Adam!

John-G and AdamGoodrich like this.
  19. sanuvin

sanuvin

So once you have multi tile terrain added I could use a different resource folder for each tile?

Loving the videos, on the last one now.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  20. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Just a FYI for potential users: As Gaia uses the Unity heightfield terrain, it is is fully compatible with PolyWorld!

Great work Adam! Clever terrain construction methodologies. I look forward to checking it out when I get a free moment!

BTW, I'm sure ysing Substance Designer heightfield texture outputs as inputs to the stamps will yield very, very interesting results.

21. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thanks and cool - will have to try that out :)

22. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

This shouldn't be a problem at all. The GaiaResources isn't limited to one per scene. Basically the way things work is your Spawners are tied to the GaiaResources file. So theoretically, you could have a different resource file for a different biome. You would just need to have unique spawners set up to access the different resource files. One way I have been considering doing this is my underwater biomes. Since you can't really categorize the game objects in resources, my thoughts are to keep underwater and above sea level spawners/resources separate. Adam can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was kept so this would be a possibility.. I know at times during beta, there were discussions about just having one Resources file but I always argued against it unless there was a way to sub-categorize the GOs.

S4G4N likes this.
  23. sanuvin

sanuvin

Awesome
    So I can use something like terrain stitcher to help join tiles(lets call them biomes in my case) together but I think someone here said the issue would be the limits Unity has on the number of texture you can use on one terrain?

S4G4N likes this.
  24. smada-luap

smada-luap

rofl

But seriously, there's a lot in Gaia that initially appears overwhelming, but once you understand the basic premiss of Gaia, it'll all become second nature in no time.

S4G4N likes this.
  25. smada-luap

smada-luap

I think Unity will let you use as many textures as you like per terrain (although there *may* be an upper limit), but there's a draw call for each set of 4 textures used.

If you've got two separate terrains in your scene then I'm sure there's nothing to stop you using completely different textures on both terrains :)

S4G4N likes this.
  26. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Yeah.. Unfortunately you would still be bound by Unity's limitations.. I don't totally understand the ground texture stuff but from my understanding Unity groups ground textures into passes with each pass being a draw call, or something like that.. So first pass is the first four textures, second pass is the second four.. Like I said, I don't totally understand it. I know Relief Terrain Pack works through some of this and we have even talked within the beta group of some other possibilities such as doing decals or something along those lines. But Gaia uses standard Unity terrain, so any base limitations Unity has will still be there. For now...

EDIT: Heheh.. yeah.. What @smada luap said... :p

smada-luap and S4G4N like this.
  27. radimoto

radimoto

Purchased! Looking forward to trying this out tonight! Cheers

S4G4N likes this.
  28. sanuvin

sanuvin

If a picture is worth a thousand words then the videos are worth 10,000. Just finished watching them all and he did a great job explaining things.

29. mwituni

mwituni

Congrats on not only getting it on the Asset-Store, but getting it as the main feature on the front page within hours!

Wow

Speaks loads for how popular Gaia is!
    And all for good reason ... it really rocks.

Still think you should have used my fav slogan .... "Get your arse into Gaia"

30. Kale

Kale

I rarely buy any of these assets so fast. But BOUGHT. Even if I don't end up using it, it still looks fun to play around with. For 25 bucks? Sheesh, that's a steal.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  31. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

Past few weeks even maybe one or two months, it was interesting to see other people's quick results. Even just watching the videos impressed me. But when you get your hands on it and experience it yourself, I'm just amazed how easy and satisfying the result terrain is. It is incredible, thanks for the asset Adam.

mwituni and AdamGoodrich like this.
  32. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thank you - glad your enjoying it :)

33. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Oh.. For all of you who now own and are playing with Gaia.. Adam has been famous in the beta chats with his saying, "Screenies, or it didn't happen.." I'm looking forward to seeing results from everyone's time with Gaia!

34. julianr

julianr

Bought this in an instant - congrats. Looking forward to getting good at using Gaia! Can't wait for multi-terrain support too :)

ibyte and AdamGoodrich like this.
  35. closetgeekshow

closetgeekshow

Payday cannot come fast enough. I am so excited to try this out.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  36. brunno159

brunno159

Just bought it and made a test scene. Nice tool btw. Only one concern... any ideais why i am getting like 2 fps on a built game?

37. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Just bought it, will give ya a heads up, once I mess with it some.;)

S4G4N likes this.
  38. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hard to say - by default the scene will have a Main Camera in it... and if you used Gaia to create a FPSController, they will conflict and i have seen this be a massive fps killer. Check point 12 in the Quick Start guide and check if that's the issue.

39. blockimperium

blockimperium

As I said, I am already looking to see if this will be the base for our future platform.

Got a couple of things that came up when imported into a brand new project in Unity 5.2.2f1.

1) SpeedTree materials needing to be regenerated

2) Warning:
    Assets/Gaia/Scripts/ResourcesSystem/GaiaWorldManager.cs(1018,31): warning CS0219: The variable `positionPTI' is assigned but its value is never used

3) Warning:
    Assets/Gaia/Scripts/ResourcesSystem/ResourceVisualiser.cs(64,26): warning CS0414: The private field `Gaia.ResourceVisualiser.m_lastUpdateDate' is assigned but its value is never used

4) Warning:
    Assets/Gaia/Scripts/StampingSystem/Stamper.cs(225,21): warning CS0414: The private field `Gaia.Stamper.m_featureID' is assigned but its value is never used

About to build a series of levels to see how things go.

40. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

The speedtree materials is a unity thing. The other warnings are Gaia - just fields that don't get used.

Good luck!! :)

S4G4N likes this.
  41. lazygunn

lazygunn

In a bit of a "look what gaia did for me' kinda thing, heres a short vid of an area based on a very quickly made gaia terrain, and used in strange style

The ocean is Ceto and the sky is Truesky

sqallpl, docsavage, mwituni and 8 others like this.
  42. brunno159

brunno159

Sorry, Adam. That was my bad, left the camera, rofl! Fps is okay now. Gonna tweak the scene a bit and show the results here. Very nice tool really!

43. blockimperium

blockimperium

Any chance we can get those 'removed' in a maintenance release. Warnings become errors when we do builds for production.

ImpossibleRobert and S4G4N like this.
  44. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep - i got rid of most - the slipped thru.

BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  45. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Hi there,

Congratulation for the release and with the special who can resist so i just bought it with the hope to have access later to large reproduction of earth via satellite imagery for a boat simulator.

Regards

S4G4N likes this.
  46. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Ceto is simply the best looking ocean system for unity forget all the others even the heavy price one is not as good as this.

S4G4N likes this.
  47. ibyte

ibyte

Another Instant buy - Thanks Adam

48. Baraff

Baraff

Now that's how it could be done... and now is. Actually better and easier than I thought.
    Very simple but with tons of subtleties. Unlike the other landscape tools which may be powerful but have a huge time commitment to getting your own results. One at least which is quite happy to delete the landscape your are working on without warning with a simple miss-click on a button that did not say reset or clear or delete... But I digress....
    Great work Adam. Now I must stop running around the forest at 30kph with thoughts of whether "it's rabbit season or duck season" and get some work done with it. Thanks mate.

49. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Glad you like it - a lot of effort went into making it simple and usable, without detracting from the end result :)

Mazak and S4G4N like this.
  50. Ylor

Ylor

Hi!

I just saw this in the asset store. It looks amazing. I have a question: Can it be operated from script and, hence, used to generate and populate terrain from within a game using script api? If the terrain forming and terrain populating can be triggered from script, a user would be able to use the scriptng api to make a "random map" function for a game. Is this possible now? If not, will it be in the future?

Cheers,
    Rasmus