Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

?

Would you pay an upgrade fee for Gaia 2 so that we can hire to accelerate its development?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2018.
  1. Yeah super cool - I would pay a $15 upgrade fee to get it faster!

83 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. No way - you promised free and i am happy to wait!

20 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. BryanPW

BryanPW

Honestly, that depends on the game and what you are trying to achieve and how large each area is. In some cases, a mesh would be ok to use in small areas, in large areas this would be killing your performance. You could also find a textured detailed grass that fits and is bushier or like a fern (something of this effect) so show grass as a 2d texture and save performance. It all depends on the game in question.

2. koirat

koirat

I might have asked the wrong question. The question should be is Gaia 2 up to date with latest stable HDRP version.

Spec:
    High Definition RP 8.2.0
    Unity3d 2020.1.6

Errors:

CFrosty likes this.
  3. Skotrap7

Skotrap7

I have an existing terrain that I would like to keep, but maybe take advantage of the other features in Gaia and/or modify my existing terrain. Can Gaia use my existing terrain in a non-destructive manner? Hoping to take advantage of some things like erosion and object placement.

4. crownracing

crownracing

Simple question: Having trouble deleting a scene. Please explain how to delete a scene so I can start over. Thanks.

5. Skotrap7

Skotrap7

Deleting the whole scene, or just the terrain? Delete a whole scene just CTRL+N to create a new one, then delete the SceneName.unity file in your project files.

6. crownracing

crownracing

Followed the instructions explicitly to create a scene, but when I hit preview, a
    no terrain is shown. Why can't I preview the scene? The software failed to
    create a scene.

7. tcz8

tcz8

8. CFrosty

CFrosty

I am also having this problem. Any solution yet?

9. Skotrap7

Skotrap7

Bump

10. atomfoundry

atomfoundry

Running Unity 2019.4.11f1, HDRP, clean project, import Gaia Pro v2.2.1

I go through setup, keeping basic settings. In terrains I tell it to generate 10x10 1024 sq. meter terrains and I can see the progress bar go through 400 steps (about 12 minutes) but I only end up with a handful of random terrains instead of 100. For example, my latest try gave me 3 Terrain_9_9s, 2 Terrain_9_10s, 2 Terrain 10_9s, and 2 Terrain_10_10s, a total of 9 terrains but most of them duplicates. If I generate 5x5 I get 25 terrains all sequentially numbered but 10x10 fails.

Is there a setting somewhere I missed? The floating point fix is checked (automatically) when I generate the large terrain set.

11. CFrosty

CFrosty

@BryanPW I do not mean any slight in this. Is this the correct channel to ask for help and support?

12. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

A lot of times you can get support here from other community members. If you are looking for support from actual PW staff it is best that you use their ticketing system. There is a link for it up in Bryan's message signature. So much happens here in the forum that things can get lost pretty quickly and easily.

BryanPW likes this.
  13. crownracing

crownracing

Just a question: We bought Gaia 2 and found it not to be usable for us. It's so stripped down, and when we finally were able to create a scene it was arcade quality. We are considering Gaia Pro; maybe it can work. Our experience with Gaia 2 left us feeling that Gaia Pro might not be much better. Can it really create realistic terrain, or would it be more like Gaia 2? The demo of Gaia 2 misrepresented its capability. Any opinions on Gaia Pro?

14. BryanPW

BryanPW

Yes, it is.

15. BryanPW

BryanPW

Depends, on how you made the terrain.
    How did you make your terrain? You can try to create a height map based on the terrain. Then use that and stamp it on a Gaia Terrain.

16. BryanPW

BryanPW

Can you please tell me what version of Unity you are using and What Gaia version you are using?
    Please note if you are using the latest Gaia 2 or Gaia Pro you will need to use the Unity version 2019.3 or higher.

Then please check to see if Gizmos is enabled.

17. BryanPW

BryanPW

This is because the price of Gaia Pro is $287.00 USD
    Then 40% is $172.20.

Because you own Gaia 2 you only need to pay the upgrade fee.

So while the discount is $172.20 you also get a discount which is $120.

While the sale lasted..

18. Skotrap7

Skotrap7

Just a hand made Unity Terrain, but it has multiple tiles.

19. BryanPW

BryanPW

20. BryanPW

BryanPW

You should be fine as Gaia uses the Unity terrain.

21. koirat

koirat

No it is not working.
    Right now I got HDRP 9.*** but it was not working even with 8.***
    In your source you got "UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering" but it is no longer in experimental.
    It's probably in UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition but when i change it i still got multitude of error.

This is one of the multitude of errors, there are many more in 3rd Party Samplers.

unityunity