Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. Jairusx

Jairusx

Hello.Can i use GAIA 2 (non pro version) to make different terrain biomes and can i connect them? I will have open world terrain, but i need to divide the terrain itself into a small biomes with different settings.Is that possible with GAIA 2?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. BryanPW

BryanPW

Yes, that is in the plans. Although its hard to do a tutorial on Gaia with HDRP at the moment as Unity does not support the HDRP Grass and Water shaders. I would imagine that when they do we can make one. However, Freshdesk has an HDRP solution along with a URP solution. Here is the link in the meantime: https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk.com/a/solutions/articles/33000248526

3. BryanPW

BryanPW

To do this you simply need to click on the terrain and select the trees and Shift left click and it will erase the trees, the same goes for the grass. Or you can click on the spawner add a distance mask and set the spawner to remove and spawn, this option is not as controlled for this though.

IrishDev likes this.
  4. stain2319

stain2319

Count me among those who would really like some better tutorials. It seems like a lot of the tutorials are either outdated and refer to Gaia 1 OR there is a lot of "glossing over" material and referring to things in a way that makes it seem like the tutorials for Gaia Pro assume that you're already familiar with Gaia in general. For a complete noob such as myself there just isn't enough detail about what the different options do or WHY we are using them. I feel a little bit like I wasted money buying Gaia Pro since the learning curve seems so steep, I may never really be able to use it to its full extent.

5. DGordon

DGordon

Hey, a few questions.

Is the vegetation shader performance on par with Vegetation Studio? I love how everything is controlled by GAIA Pro, but Im unclear on if its actually doing as well as a dedicated vegetation system would. It looks to me like its using the standard terrain stuff, so I'm assuming Ill get better performance with VS? If not, any chance you guys are going to rework this ever? Having all of this in one system is the big draw, and if I have to start chopping things out of GAIA Pro to get performance that goes along with the beautiful terrains its generating, then it becomes worth much less than the $250 for me, since I already owned Gaia 2 and could generate terrains as is. If VS _is_ going to outperform this by a decent margin (which would be important ...), would the recommendation be to generate the terrains with this without any vegetation spawners, and then once the terrain is "set" then use VS for that stuff?

Second: Are the terrain shaders included in PRO the same as CTS, or comparable? Im assuming at this price point that the shaders included can do the best terrain stuff you guys offer, and you wont require _another_ upgrade to make these terrains look their best. Im not at the point of texturing, I just want to confirm that before I get there.

Basically, am I going to have to replace the vegetation and terrain shading with other solutions, in which case I should have just stuck with Gaia 2 I assume ... or was this all-in-one package something that I can use as-is for both performance + your highest quality shaders? I normally just take things as they are, but this was a _costly_ package, which is only worth it to me if I can actually use it in a final product (meaning, equivalent money would not have netted better results elsewhere).

Given how good your products are, and the price point, I bought it under the assumption that it was an all-inclusive package for creating the best terrains you guys offer. Just making sure I didnt misunderstand something. I _love_ what its producing ... but besides the huge draw calls / poly counts from grass+trees (which I accept if theres no better solution out there), Im noticing that the mountains dont have that nice detail in your CTS screen shots, and I havent sunk in the time yet to understand if thats because I have to tweak things (not a problem) or because the included terrain shaders arent as good.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  6. Bingobuzzard

Bingobuzzard

Hi,
    I purchased Gaia 2 with the assumption that I could edit multiple terrain tiles at once. It says on the asset store, under feature comparison, that Gaia 2 has "Multi Tile Support". I also see in the tutorials that when you create a terrain, there is an option to create a multi-tile terrain, however, I do not see that same option anywhere in the Gaia inspector window. I've done a search of this forum for the answer, and have not found anything in the manual yet that shows me how to get this option. Was this option taken out, or have I have I just not found it yet?
    -Thanks
    Bingo

7. Bingobuzzard

Bingobuzzard

I've found the problem I was having, so here is the solution if anyone is having the same problem. I purchased Gaia 2 from then downloaded it from the Package Manager in Unity 2020. For some reason it downloads the old version of Gaia if you just press the download button. This wasn't so obvious at first, so, you need to make sure to download the latest version of Gaia 2 from the Package Manager. Anyway, it was a silly mistake, that I have fixed.
    -Cheers

StevenPicard likes this.
  8. DGordon

DGordon

FYI, Im getting good enough performance with really beautiful terrains that Im happy with this ... if anyone else sees this its great! However, Im still confused over how its really working in terms of what I wrote above, and would appreciate understanding it.

My biggest feedback is: I find it very confusing about what each different product you sell does, how they interrelate, and if any have overlapping functionality that renders the others redundant. I definitely bought Gaia Pro expecting that it handled more than it does, since it mentioned it comes with shaders etc etc, and for the price point I thought that meant it was a package deal including a bunch of your other stuff ... so making that more clear would be great.

9. DGordon

DGordon

Thowing a wish out here ... using Nature Renderer for grass. I would love some grass/flowers that were already set up to use in biomes for this.

I know its not on you guys. But it would really make prototyping stuff using Gaia Pro really quick, and I know sometimes asset creators like to support other stuff out of the box for advertising :).

Thanks for a great product!

JBR-games likes this.
  10. DGordon

DGordon

Hi Bryan,

Is there any way to handle creating clean roads in any of your products, or would I have to look for a different 3rd party solution?

The ground would need to be leveled out, the textures would need to be painted in clean lines, etc. Doing that by hand would be very tedious, if even possible.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

11. BryanPW

BryanPW

We are working on new tutorials and they should be coming soon! In the meantime, you can check out Support Streams or reach out on our discord for extra help and talking with others within the community! You can also ping me on discord anytime!

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/rtKn8rw
    Twitch Streams: https://www.twitch.tv/ssnightshadow/videos

12. BryanPW

BryanPW

1. Most of the new vegetation is done in house and performs really well. Direct numbers in comparison to this I can not tell you, but we have optimized our vegetation.
    2. Gaia Pro does offer terrain shaders, yes, but CTS 2019 is an advanced terrain shader with more options. Both assets have great terrain shaders!
    3. If you already own Gaia 1 / 2 then you do not need to pay the full amount for Gaia Pro it is discounted to an upgrade cost to save you money!

Here is the comparison between the two products possibly for a better understanding:

Gaia 2 (powerful product, indie prices):
    * Multi Tile Support
    * GPU Accelerated Stamping
    * GPU Accelerated Spawning
    * Built-In, LW, HD SRP
    * Third-Party Extensions
    * Biome Presets
    * Stackable Filtering
    * FREE upgrade from Gaia 1

Gaia Pro (pro features, pro pricing)
    * All of Gaia 2 PLUS:
    * Massive World Creation Support
    * Non-Destructive Massive World Edit Support
    * Massive World Streaming & Culling Support:
    * Additional stamping & erosion operations
    * Additional masking operations
    * Mask exporting system
    * Spawnable VFX system and assets
    * Spawnable Sound FX system and assets:
    * Integrated Weather System with rain and snow
    * Time of Day Lighting System
    * HQ Photogrammetry Enhanced Biome Assets & Presets
    * Multiple pre-configured biomes

Please let me know if I could be of further assistance or need to explain something a little more in-depth!

13. DGordon

DGordon

Thanks for the response!

I know you guys have shaders for mesh vegetation. Its the detail textures I was more concerned with. It looks to me like thats using the built-in grass shader (unless I missed a replacement somewhere), which is pretty out dated compared to using a pbr grass shader. However, I solved it already by using nature renderer's asset, which replaces how the grass is rendered without needing to do a single thing except add a single component to the terrain. So I can use your system as is, but still get performant pbr detail textures (ie: grass). So I'm actually _very_ happy with how Gaia Pro is working out now.

My biggest question at this point is about generating roads. I left a message on the RAM 2019 forum asking if that could handle generating roads that look like the one below. I know which asset created it, but I'm just trying understand all my options first. I'm assuming neither this, nor Gena, can do that, correct?

Attached Files:

14. Mark_01

Mark_01

Depends if you want roads or paths ... maybe check here if you want https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/path-painter-163352

Or here for the first video tutorial for it..

It can be used for more then paths .. river beds would work too and other ways of using it with the terrain system.

DGordon likes this.
  15. DGordon

DGordon

It would be great if you guys could make the shaders optional for Time of Day and vegetation. I'm not using either of those, and I'm out of shader global keywords (I have a lot of different asset packs I'm mixing and matching), so I need to nuke those or I can't build out. I really only want to use this for the terrain generation / biomes at this point, and I can't build out without deleting stuff myself now.

Giving it a shot and Ill mention if I cant get it done myself, but definitely should be optional, considering the primary use for this is terrain stuff. I dont want to be forced to use it, nor limit what other things I can use with this. I'm also just guessing about what I delete here, and itll get undone the moment I update, so thats not a real solution either.

Thanks so much.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  16. Gametyme

Gametyme

Hello, I'm using gaia 2 on a project I started with gaia 1. Whenever I spawn details such as rocks they don't spawn on the terrain. I don't remember having this problem with gaia 1. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

17. AtomsInTheVoid

AtomsInTheVoid

If you're making a decently large world, you might wanna know there's a new way to fly around your scene all the cool kids are using. Once you see this you'll wonder why no ones thought of this before!

Just point off in the distance and fly! Preview camera let's you know where you'll land and you can even adjust the final view before you jump. You'll save tons of time and even have fun exploring your beautiful worlds.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/scene-pilot-177244

18. Daahrien

Daahrien

Terrain dissapear at runtime, any ideas why?

stain2319 likes this.
  19. SawyerK

SawyerK

Hi!
    Whenever i use the stamper i get these jagged edges on dunes and mountains. Im using the 16km terrain with the max 4097 Resolution, but the stamper creates these edges. Do i have to manually use smooth on the terrain to get rid of these, or is there an other easier way to fix this?

20. BryanPW

BryanPW

May need to look at the details spawner and adjust the settings.

21. BryanPW

BryanPW

Are you streaming it? Using sectr? What is it that you are using just Gaia or Gaia Pro?

22. BryanPW

BryanPW

This is due to the extreme heights we set up on the terrains in the world designer, the 2.1.5.1 hotfix has an input field for the terrain height.
    https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk....es/33000254250-gaia-2-gaia-pro-hotfix-2-1-5-1

23. Daahrien

Daahrien

I'm using Gaia Pro. The problem is just sometimes. Will dig into it some more.

24. BryanPW

BryanPW

Do you fall through the terrain or is it acting like it's still there you just can see it? If it does happen again please send me a screenshot if possible!

25. Daahrien

Daahrien

I fell definitely. If it happens again i'll post any info I get.

26. BriBill

BriBill

Hello! I've run into something strange with the stamper that I've never encountered before. For some reason the preview is very dark and hard to see in my project? Any ideas?
    Capture.JPG

27. Razputin

Razputin

Stupid question, how do I get the waters y position to be lower?

28. Zaddo

Zaddo

I have a weird situation. After I create and Stamp a terrain in Gaia. I try to smooth some areas using the unity terrain tools to create POI's, But I am getting terracing on the terrains.

I found this article, but this doesn't fix it for me: https://answers.unity.com/questions/1592271/ridges-on-terrain-with-loweringraising-height.html

I thought I had fixed it by lowing the heightmap resolution. It seemed that you needed a difference between the heightmap resolution and the basemap/control resolution. But again this was a dead end.

Terrains created directly with Unity don't have this issue.

Is it possible that Terrains created in Gaia have some property that is causing this?

Terracing.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  29. jleelong

jleelong

Hi Guys, I'm new to Unity and I can't imagine I'm the first to ask this question. However I couldn't find it in the forums for Gaia. Is it possible to add water at different heights on a multi-tile terrain. i.e. if you wanted a low river valley and a high mountain stream on separate tiles within the same terrain level. Thanks in advance!

30. BryanPW

BryanPW

I can't tell from your screenshot, but do you have the lighting enabled? It's a light bulb at the top of the scene view, by the 2d button.

31. BryanPW

BryanPW

Currently, you need to go to the stamper and increase the sea level there. Then hit stamp, make sure that the stamp does not add to the scene you are working on. This will increase the Y.

32. BryanPW

BryanPW

Very well could have the heightmap issue which is explained in this article: https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk.com/a/solutions/articles/33000254250

Please let me know if this helps!

Zaddo likes this.
  33. ooviixoo

ooviixoo

Just an FYI, trying to get some detail pre-purchase and the discord link:

upload_2020-9-18_16-53-1.png

34. BryanPW

BryanPW

35. Monil

Monil

Hi,

I just updated to version 2.2 and after importing it gives me errors, which disappear after modifying Spawner.cs, can the modification be fine?

Gaia2.2CTS.jpg Gaia2.2CTS_Spawner.jpg

36. Barritico

Barritico

After update to 2.2:

Assets\Infinity Code\Real World Terrain\Scripts\Editor\Phases\RealWorldTerrainGenerateGaiaStampPhase.cs(55,21): error CS1061: 'Scanner' does not contain a definition for 'm_featureType' and no accessible extension method 'm_featureType' accepting a first argument of type 'Scanner' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\Infinity Code\Real World Terrain\Scripts\Editor\Phases\RealWorldTerrainGenerateGaiaStampPhase.cs(70,21): error CS0117: 'ImageMask' does not contain a definition for 'm_imageMaskTexture'

I don't really know who has to solve this, RWT or you. I have posted it on both forums.

37. PWPeter

PWPeter

38. PWPeter

PWPeter

This looks like RWT needs to adapt the code for the newer Gaia version.

39. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

I am working on my Arcade space shooter. I already progressed a lot..
    I just added a new landscape Gaia (2) with the Gaia Manager.

But I need to rotate the landscape now 90°, how do I?
    Changing the transform rotation of the new GameObject "Gaia Terrains" does strnge stuff but not rotate..
    I would have to change too much other stuff, if I cannot rotate the terrain...

Thanks a lot!

40. anseyder

anseyder

Hi, when I follow the quick start guide for Gaia (1.9 - I'll upgrade after this project in October) but when I started a new scene and followed the quickstart guide and add the Session Manager, I get the following error:
    MissingComponentException: There is no 'Collider' attached to the "Coverage Texture Spawner" game object, but a script is trying to access it.
    You probably need to add a Collider to the game object "Coverage Texture Spawner". Or your script needs to check if the component is attached before using it.

It is a clean scene and this just keeps happening. I have avoided upgrading as my project is nearing completion (it's for a PhD experiment) and I want to wait until after the delivery in October. Please can you provide some assistance?

41. PWPeter

PWPeter

Normally you can't, this is a hard limitation in the unity terrain engine, as all the things stored in the terrain data object (terrain splatmap, trees, etc.) were not made with rotation in mind. I found this free asset that might be able to fix your problem: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/terrain-rotator-21303

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  42. PWPeter

PWPeter

Could you please check in the lower part of the console window where this error is coming from? There should be a little extra information where it originated.
    upload_2020-9-22_1-47-30.png

You can also try to double click the error and it should take you to the script in visual studio that tries to manipulate a collider object on the Texture Spawners. I currently would not know any feature of Gaia that would do this deliberately with any spawners since those tools should never have any colliders on them per default. If you can see where it is coming from in the error message, we should be able to pin it down.

43. anseyder

anseyder

I cleaned out the scene and rebuilt using the standard tab first, and it started working. So all good - thanks (I'll put it down to user error)

BryanPW likes this.
  44. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

I started to rearrange my game, so it fits to the landscape / terrain rotation, thanks!

45. Barritico

Barritico

Already. I supposed.

But it would be a detail for the clients that you agree. If PW evolves at a different rate, we become obsolete in all products that are "compatible". And we have to downgrade PW with all the problems that the usual Unity instability gives.

It would be a detail.

As an opinion, of course.

46. koirat

koirat

Hello is GAIA 2 compatible with HDRP unity3d 2020.1.6. When upgrading my project to HDRP I got problems with some namespaces and Types.

47. henmachuca

henmachuca

Hello there!
    I'm in need of some tips to make a good looking top down game.
    The thing is that as of now, it's looking a bit odd, specially the grass.
    Do you guys have any tips to improve the terrain asthetic (specially the grass) when using gaia?

Thank you.

48. BryanPW

BryanPW

Yes, it is compatible. Make sure that you remove the old Gaia before importing the new release.

49. BryanPW

BryanPW

Honestly, that depends on the game and what you are trying to achieve and how large each area is. In some cases, a mesh would be ok to use in small areas, in large areas this would be killing your performance. You could also find a textured detailed grass that fits and is bushier or like a fern (something of this effect) so show grass as a 2d texture and save performance. It all depends on the game in question.

50. koirat

koirat

I might have asked the wrong question. The question should be is Gaia 2 up to date with latest stable HDRP version.

Spec:
    High Definition RP 8.2.0
    Unity3d 2020.1.6

Errors:

CFrosty likes this.
  51. Skotrap7

Skotrap7

I have an existing terrain that I would like to keep, but maybe take advantage of the other features in Gaia and/or modify my existing terrain. Can Gaia use my existing terrain in a non-destructive manner? Hoping to take advantage of some things like erosion and object placement.