Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

?

Would you pay an upgrade fee for Gaia 2 so that we can hire to accelerate its development?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2018.
  1. Yeah super cool - I would pay a $15 upgrade fee to get it faster!

83 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. No way - you promised free and i am happy to wait!

20 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. eaque

eaque

Hi,

So in the present Gaia (not pro) is it still impossible to use multi tiles terrain??

2. runningbird

runningbird

You've always been able to use multi terrain tiles with Gaia 1 you just have to disable the other tiles you aren't working on at the moment. You have to align the spawners etc to the terrain tile you are working on as well.

eaque likes this.
  3. rosor

rosor

Hello, got Gaia Pro, working on 2019.3.2. Are there any issue with that version? It looks like I can't see any preview of the stamps... :( Very difficult to visualize what to do if you're blind... :( If there is an easy fix to this or if I'm missing something I'd be very grateful to whoever cam chime in and help.
    Thanks! :)

4. rosor

rosor

Got the solution: https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk....gaia-pro-compatibility-patch-for-unity-2019-3
    The patch doesn't mention anything about the preview stamp not showing but this is the fix for 2019.3.2 users until next update! :)

5. eaque

eaque

but it's not possible to stamp on 2 terrains at the same time.....I call that a work around, not a really possibility to use multi terrains....Am i wrong?

JBR-games likes this.
  6. runningbird

runningbird

I've been using it this way for years isn't hard to do, but call it what you want.

7. moriniomehran

moriniomehran

hi friends
    when i make a terrain with gaia this export shows.
    i have problem with stamp
    help me please.thanks a lot

Attached Files:

• 132.JPG
      132.JPG
      File size:
      363.6 KB
      Views:
  8. BryanPW

BryanPW

Can you please show me the masking of the stamper? This is A Mountains correct?

9. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

Hi ! I have purchased Gaia some time and I am now looking to buy Gaia Pro because I have the need to be generating worlds on the fly.

Just wanted to ask a few things. I am reading that Gaia Pro has a biome system, which is great !

1) Would it be possible to create new maps while playing the game ? Like, can a player start a new game on a completely new map that is not statically saved beforehand but can be saved once they generate it ?

2) Is it possible to mix biomes in that generation process ? Can you, for example have a river area, a snow area, or a volcano area and have those dynamically generated, again when the player opts to start a new game ?

3) Is there a way to set rules for setting objects within the biomes ? Like rocks that can be picked up, or maybe scattered nails or any other objects ?

Thanks !

10. BryanPW

BryanPW

Currently, there is no Runtime Generation, which is what you are referring to I believe. You can mix and match Biomes, however. There is something called "Masking" / rules for the biomes and how they respond that's correct.

11. LeRan

LeRan

Hey guys, just a little question that may be stupid but at least it'll likely be a simple answer - here goes.

When writing a spawn rule extension, and more specifically when overriding a PostSpawn() procedure, how do you access by code the gameObject that was just spawned? I can't find anything in spawnInfo that links to it.

Thanks in advance!

JBR-games likes this.
  12. ddesmond

ddesmond

Hello,

I purchased Gaia a while back and hadn't used it much. I just upgraded to Gaia Pro and had multiple issues trying to get it going. Frequent locking up of my computer, forcing me to shut down Unity. It also doesn't seem to work well with with any map size under large. VR and Mobile, or the light configuration never spawns anything. I tried using the Forest Biome on a tiny map without any success. I may be missing some things, but I am not very happy with this product so far. This is a hobby of mine and I consider myself an amateur at this. Another thing I notice is if I used for example the forest biome, and uncheck spawn texture and grass, you can't move forward unless you choose them, when it tells you that you haven't selected them. If that is the case, why allow the user the option to deselect them. I have only created a scene using a large map size and high end desktop, unfortunately that isn't what I am looking for. Has anyone else been able to get create a tiny map with vr/mobile or ultralight and get something to spawn? I am using Unity 2019.1.14 standard with an older I7 with 32 gigs of ram and a GTX 1070 video card.

JBR-games likes this.
  13. futurewavecs

futurewavecs

I've had no problems building maps with versions as old as yours .2019.3 still has no official update released to fix the stamper not visible issue. There is however a patch a little bit back in this thread that is said to fix that.

As to your issue I'm uncertain what VR or Mobile would have to do with anything. You make the maps before you build out to the target platform so if you can see it and play it in the editor then you should be able to see it and play it in VR and Mobile once you build it out. The size of your map, and how dense the details are on it could impact those target platforms but that is up to you to find the sweet point on there is no AI that will do that for you.

It also depends upon what you mean by tiny. I've created some that were 500x500.

14. LeRan

LeRan

Hey guys,

I find it hard to believe that there really is no way to do this. Can someone please confirm me that it is not possible in a spawn extension script to target the GameObject that was just spawned?

15. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

After upgrading to HDRP (Unity 2019.3.7, CTS 2019, Gaia 2019/Pro) I am getting the following compiler errors that stop most scripts from loading so am not able to pursue the gaia hdrp instructions from the manual.

Any ideas how I can fix this, thanks. Much appreciation.

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\Editor\GaiaHDRPPipelineUtils.cs(312,56): error CS1061: 'PhysicallyBasedSky' does not contain a definition for 'airAttenuationDistance' and no accessible extension method 'airAttenuationDistance' accepting a first argument of type 'PhysicallyBasedSky' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\Editor\GaiaHDRPPipelineUtils.cs(313,56): error CS1061: 'PhysicallyBasedSky' does not contain a definition for 'airAlbedo' and no accessible extension method 'airAlbedo' accepting a first argument of type 'PhysicallyBasedSky' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\Editor\GaiaHDRPPipelineUtils.cs(315,56): error CS1061: 'PhysicallyBasedSky' does not contain a definition for 'aerosolAttenuationDistance' and no accessible extension method 'aerosolAttenuationDistance' accepting a first argument of type 'PhysicallyBasedSky' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\Editor\GaiaHDRPPipelineUtils.cs(316,56): error CS1061: 'PhysicallyBasedSky' does not contain a definition for 'aerosolAlbedo' and no accessible extension method 'aerosolAlbedo' accepting a first argument of type 'PhysicallyBasedSky' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\Editor\GaiaHDRPPipelineUtils.cs(320,56): error CS1061: 'PhysicallyBasedSky' does not contain a definition for 'groundColor' and no accessible extension method 'groundColor' accepting a first argument of type 'PhysicallyBasedSky' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\Procedural Worlds\Gaia\Scripts\Editor\GaiaHDRPPipelineUtils.cs(321,56): error CS1061: 'PhysicallyBasedSky' does not contain a definition for 'groundAlbedoTexture' and no accessible extension method 'groundAlbedoTexture' accepting a first argument of type 'PhysicallyBasedSky' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

16. Ravenshadow

Ravenshadow

Hey folks,
    I keep running into a terrain problem with the vegatation. I am using Gaia to create large, terrains and everything works great for the first initial runs, but eventually some of the vegatation starts to wig out. It stretches and waves furiously. I can't seem to figure out what is causing the problem. Eventually I get frustrated and recreate the terrain and all is good for a while, but every time, it eventualling starts wigging out again. Has anyone run into this problem? Or have an idea what might be causing it?

Here's a pic of what's happening.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2o9b12rqckfd1u/gaia_error.png?raw=1

That patch of red flowers is the problem. It's not even the red flowers in general as you can see, some of the instances of them work just fine.

17. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

I dont believe (from my past issue with similar veg not being populated/rendered) that gaia is good at large terrains with veg.

The terrain is fine but I had to use vegetation studio for the vegetation. I never had issues with that.

18. Ravenshadow

Ravenshadow

Were your problems with vegetation similar? Fast waving and stretching?

19. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

No, the vegetation left huge squares with no vegetation. The whole terrain was too big for gaia to deal with. I believe it was peter that informed me.

20. Fashtas

Fashtas

Is there any way to clear all Terrain Textures Gaia has drawn on the terrain (There used to be a Reset button but no longer there it seems)

I *appear* to have created a Texture spawner, spawned a crappy texture to the terrain, and deleted the spawner however the texture remained on the terrain. Now I have thousands to pebbles everywhere I can't get rid of and that affect all other terrain textures (which I can change).

In 2019.3 with the Gaia patch but the patch was applied AFTER I added the bad texture to the terrain if that makes any difference.

21. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Just redo add another spawner and redo the texture spawn. To get rid of the pebbles apply only to specific materials, if you can do that. I use VSPro for that but think gaia has the same settings, or similar.

22. BryanPW

BryanPW

Sorry for the late response. This doesn't sound right something is going on here. What Unity version are you using?
    Which render pipeline are you using? Can you please send a screenshot of your quality settings.

23. BryanPW

BryanPW

That's correct there is a patch that you may use to fix the stamper issue, and the ability to use Gaia Pro in 2019.3. The updates and upgrades are soon to be released that will have these issues fixed and more! The patch link is https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk.com/a/solutions/articles/33000249597 with instructions!

24. BryanPW

BryanPW

Currently, HDRP with 2019.3 is not supported. These updates are going to be released very soon! As of right now, the only SRP that works is the built-in render pipeline!

25. Fashtas

Fashtas

Thanks for the reply. I'd already tried recreating and redoing but nothing changed and couldn't find what material was being changed by Gaia anywhere

I am guessing the patch helped a lot since I redid the terrain and things seem to be working smoother now, and I can use the preview to see whats happening. At any rate seems to be "fixed'

26. BryanPW

BryanPW

Can you please try to disable static batching on the prefab!

27. BryanPW

BryanPW

Sounds good please let me know if you require further assistance!

28. BryanPW

BryanPW

We have worked out a ton of vegetation for our products and I think everyone will be pleased when the updates and upgrades are released!!!

Hawk0077 and camta005 like this.
  29. BryanPW

BryanPW

This is due to static batching, to fix the issue please try to disable static batching and it should be fine! Please let me know if that works!

30. BryanPW

BryanPW

Version 2.1.0(current)

Released: Apr 14, 2020

v2.1.0

MASSIVE CHANGES. TEST IN A NEW PROJECT FIRST! Then delete the old Gaia Pro and install this one. We have deleted poorly performing old assets, optimized many existing assets, and this will break old asset references.

Many many improvements and enhancements. Highlights include: -
    Reworked all content assets and optimized them
    - Rebuilt all shaders for builtin, urp, hdrp 7.2
    - Added new time of day skies and lighting system
    - Added new spawnable visual fx systems (pollens, birds, etc)
    - Added new spawnable sound fx system plus new sounds
    - Added new massive world designer system
    - Added new massive world creation system
    - Added new massive world scene, streaming and culling system
    - Added a bunch more photogrametry enhanced content
    - Added new grasses and terrain texutures
    - Added non destructive editing and sessioning system

31. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

All other assets I use, specify to use HDRP 7.1.8. Does that mean that gaia wont work with 7.1.8? Just 7.2?

Thanks.

32. BryanPW

BryanPW

It was developed and tested in 7.2. You are more than welcome to test with 7.1.8 too see but I honestly can't
    it was developed and tested in 7.2. You are more than welcome to test with 7.1.8 too see but I honestly can't say. More than likely it will not work.

33. f1chris

f1chris

Your mentioned world streaming with the new Gaia Pro. Is it with coupling with SECTR or you have a new integrated solution ?

34. tredpro

tredpro

I cant find the upgrade option for gaia pro. Was it removed?

35. PWPeter

PWPeter

The terrain streaming in Gaia is its own integrated solution where it will put terrains into separate scenes to load them in during runtime according to distance.

36. PWPeter

PWPeter

It should still be available, note that it is not a separate product in the shop, but when you are logged in with an account that already owns Gaia 1, you will see the upgrade price in the store instead of the full price.

37. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Massive Gaia Pro / 2 Release Announcement!!

Hey everyone, we have been quietly beavering away these past months, and have finally gotten Gaia Pro to the point we always envisioned it to be! In fact with Gaia Pro now done, we can also finally release Gaia 2!

So first - the news for Gaia Pro!

We have just pushed an absolutely massive update into the asset store. This release, enhances all the previous features, and adds the following major NEW features:

- Reworked all content assets and optimized them
    - Rebuilt all shaders for builtin, urp, hdrp 7.2
    - Added new time of day skies and lighting system
    - Added new spawnable visual fx systems (pollens, birds, etc)
    - Added new spawnable sound fx system plus new sounds
    - Added new massive world designer system
    - Added new massive world creation system
    - Added new massive world scene, streaming and culling system
    - Added a bunch more photogrametry enhanced content
    - Added new grasses and terrain texutures
    - Added non destructive editing and sessioning system

With this release Gaia Pro we also move Gaia Pro to it's new and permanent price of $287. Gaia Pro is now the equivalent of many expensive products, all in one easy to use and nicely integrated whole, and as a key product of ours it will continue to be developed. Existing Gaia Pro customers will get this as a FREE update.

NOTE: This release is only available on 2019.3 and above, and it is a breaking update. We removed old poorly performing assets, and rewrote and optimized a bunch of the sub systems. We were unable to back port all the new shaders. This will not show up as a download unless you are using 2019.3+ and above.

And now the news on Gaia 2!

With Gaia Pro finally done, we have taken the same core engine and created Gaia 2. Gaia 2 is a massive and FREE update to Gaia 1 for all our Gaia 1 customers, and delivers GPU driven multi tile terrain & biome support and much much more!

Gaia 2 is LIVE!

Here is a brief feature comparison:

Gaia 2 Vs Gaia Pro.jpg

With these two products done, we now have a solution for both indies, at indie pricing, and an upgrade path for pros and people wanting to do more!

Spring Sale

We have been lucky enough to have many of our assets included in the spring sale.

Some people have queried the Gaia Pro price change that happened just before the sale. The 2.1 release was so massive that it took us three months longer to develop than planned. Our choice was to either not include it, or to get permission for the change in price. We approached Unity, showed the magnitude of the change, and committed to not changing the price afterwards. With this information and our commitment they approved of the price change.

Initial feedback on the new Gaia Pro has been very positive and now is a great time to get it at a great price. We have also halved the upgrade price from Gaia 2 for the duration of the sale as well.

We hope that you love it as much as we do!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  38. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

And here is a little peek at what can be achieved with Gaia Pro. These scenes were created, and then manually tweaked by our artists. The assets used are the same assets we supply with Gaia Pro. They show what powerful tools and talent can do when mixed together :)

One of the things i particularly love in the new Gaia Pro release are the new shaders, and the new spawnable VFX and Sound zones. We will be providing these same shaders with Gaia 2 as well!

_ScreenShots_1.jpg

_ScreenShots_2.jpg

_ScreenShots_3.jpg

_ScreenShots_4.jpg

39. knxrb

knxrb

That looks awesome! I'm thinking the Pro one is worth upgrading...

I've got a few questions about Gaia Pro:
    • With Gaia Pro supporting streaming of the terrain around the player, does it replace the need for SECTR STREAM AND SECTR VIS?
    • Does Gaia Pro also have a floating point solution for larger open worlds?
    • Is there a maximum amount of terrains supported by Gaia Pro?
      • As in a max sized game world of X by Y kilometres?
    • Have you got any examples of the Gaia Pro streaming, like a video showing it in action on a larger terrain?
      • I do realise it has only just been released, so understandable if there's not yet.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  40. newguy123

newguy123

Hi Guys

Can I use GAIA to place plants trees etc, NOT on terrain created by Gaia, but on my own custom fbx mesh?

For example if I have a car park built in 3ds max, with raised islands between the rows of cars, could I use my mesh to stick plants on these raised islands?

(it's called island, but its realy just a kerb with some grass area in the middle and sometimes flowers and trees on it also)

41. BryanPW

BryanPW

There are still amazing things that SECTR can do. That part is up to you. Gaia Pro does have a floating point fix. The max depends on your computer and limits of Unity I have made 8kmx8km with no issues and working my way up! Customers are reporting making even larger worlds! We are working on tutorials and videos those will be coming soon although you can check out the live stream Q&A and see some amazing stuff we have been showing off and explaining! Link is here: https://www.twitch.tv/ssnightshadow

knxrb and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  42. BryanPW

BryanPW

you could potentially use your own biome, using your own spawners and masking. Make sure that you create your resources and add them correctly! Here is a link that goes over this!

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  43. knxrb

knxrb

That's brilliant, thanks very much!

44. BryanPW

BryanPW

No problem!

knxrb likes this.
  45. KrayZt

KrayZt

I see it is listed in the information as being $45 upgrade price, but clicking the upgrade link takes me to Gaia Pro on a seperate store page and asks for me to buy it for 94 Euros which im pretty sure is more than $45.
    Is this now a new upgrade price, or is the upgrade price no longer available?
    This is when logged in with an account that owns Gaia.

zn13S and camta005 like this.
  46. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

Which new prices do the 20% upgrade fees apply to, I wonder. Now that it has been officially disclosed and all.
    20% of $287 is "only" $57 a year after that, and it is a nice product, might I add. Might be worth it to some.

Here is what I have learned with upgrade fees, it doesn't matter if they paid full or half price for it, you can still stick em like a sucker by a vampire with full upgrade price. It's the wild west, and there is no Unity policy on such things.

ha ha, mice and mousetraps.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    cybersoft likes this.
  47. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I am very pleased to announce that Gaia 2 is now live.

It is actually the second complete from the ground up rewrite of Gaia 1, and a milestone release for us.

Since its launch in 2015, Gaia 1 has consumed a crazy amount of my life, received constant support and many significant updates, all at no extra cost to anyone who ever bought it. Now in 2020, we have launched Gaia 2, its biggest FREE update yet. 2015 - 2020, and a significant promise made and kept.

For the record, Gaia Pro is not Gaia 2. It is a separate product and has much more capability. We felt that by offering a separate product, those that wanted to help support our team would be able to do so, and by doing this we were able to partially fund the creation and delivery of Gaia 2.

We hope you enjoy Gaia 2. It is a dramatic improvement over Gaia 1!

Goodgulf, S4G4N and knxrb like this.
  48. newguy123

newguy123

I'm sorry, please excuse my ignorance, but that sounds very confusing! I'm not a client yet, but in the market for this type of plugin.

If I want the newest, best, coolest, most feasture rich, supporting HDRP, URP, compatible with most other plugins, future proof, best performance etc.............then am I looking at Gaia Pro or Gaia 2?!?

49. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

They are both feature rich, support HDRP & URP, and are compatible with lots.

If you go back a few posts you can see a feature comparison and there are feature comparisons in the assets themselves.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/gai...d-scene-creation.327342/page-209#post-5718340

Gaia 2 is essentially Gaia Pro without all the bells and whistles and largely the same core code base. We added a LOT of extra capability to Gaia Pro.

Gaia 2:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/gaia-terrain-scene-generator-42618

Gaia Pro:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/gaia-pro-terrain-scene-generator-155852

Video tutorials will start landing in the next few days.

S4G4N and knxrb like this.
  50. newguy123

newguy123

Ah ok, thanks. So seems then I could think of it this way

Gaia 2 = Gaia Standard
    Gaia Pro = Gaia Pro

Perhaps a rename would be in order so others not familiar with your products don't ask the same questions as me (because honestly that is not obvious without reading loads of info)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
unityunity