Search Unity

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

How do I control gaia?

In this image I am using a mountain that isnt supposed to have any sides/mountains or hills on the sides and should be a simple bump/mountain..

But as you can see, where the mountain hits an existing terrain bump the stamp lifts itself up and forms an edge.

g1.PNG

If I add a distance mask as in the tutorials it not only adds a distance mask but raises the mountain height out of proportion. Like this:

g2.PNG

On top of that, if I instead try to lower the stamp using the MOVE TOOL. It doesn't move it at all and instead flattens it. Something that should be done with the scale tool?

It doesn't make logical sense.

Admittedly I don't really have a clue how to use the tool but this should be a basic simple operation and instead I have abandoned the effort because it will need more messing around with to get right. I say messing around with because these basic functions should be very simple but they just don't work as the video tutorial suggests they do.

In the tutorial Adam uses the scale tool to scale and yet the move tool scales the bumpiness which doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I have always had this problem though with gaia. It doesn't seem logical?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

2. PWPeter

PWPeter

Hi, sorry for the delayed response! Could you please try to produce the crash, and then check the last lines in the Unity Editor logfile? Those can be cryptic at times, but usually it gives you at least an indication on what happened immediately before the crash so it gives a starting point in investigating what is going on.
    What you could try as well is to deactivate all autospawners at first, do the stamping, and then run each spawner individually from the scene hierarchy instead. It would be interesting to see if that crashes then as well or if the spawning works then.

upload_2019-11-23_21-12-52.png

3. PWPeter

PWPeter

Sorry for the delayed response. Are you using Gaia 1 or Gaia Pro? You should be able to use all filetypes in both - in Gaia 1 there is a scanner utility that allows you to convert textures and image files into the Gaia stamp format. You can find more information about the scanner in the Gaia manual, or in this video around 4:20

In Gaia Pro you can select image files in an image mask directly without the need to use the scanner. Any image that unity can handle as a texture can be used in there, you should ideally use a 16 bit grayscale or single color channel image for the best stamping quality. This support article is more about importing real world terrain into Gaia Pro, but it also shows the import settings for a texture and how to use it in an image mask.

4. PWPeter

PWPeter

I think most of your issues can be explained with the "Influence" setting in the masks that you used. The influence setting is difficult to explain in writing alone, it is best understood when experimenting, but in a nutshell:

Influence = Local means this mask will influence the operation in itself
    Influence = Global means this mask will influence the total stamp result

These pictures probably explain it better here is an image mask and a distance mask set to local:

Note that the distance mask rather influences the image mask itself. In this mode the entire stamp would move around as well if you drag it up and down as you have seen it in Adams video.

The same distance mask, same height, etc. only change is Influence = Global.

Note how instead of just influencing the image mask, the distance mask influences the total operation. This means it reduces the total stamping operation power towards the edges of the terrain until the stamp actually merges with the terrain. When you would try to raise the stamper in this mode, you will experience the weird effect you had: The stamp will act as if it was glued to the ground, since the distance mask is still active and will "mask it down to 0" no matter how high you move the stamper.

Could you please try to set all masks to local to see the difference on your screen to see if this explanation makes any sense to you? You could also review this article, it explains the local / global influence thing, and has some general tips on how to use stamps on an already existing terrain:
    https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk....-mix-and-blend-stamps-on-an-exisiting-terrain

eaque and Hawk0077 like this.
  5. Hawk0077

Hawk0077

Thanks Peter, much appreciated for the explanation. I will give this a look over the next couple of days. And respond appropriately.

Many thanks.

6. PWPeter

PWPeter

7. Matf1

Matf1

Can I get some assistance with error please?

Assets\Gaia\Scripts\Utils\GaiaPipelineUtils.cs(592,64): error CS0103: The name 'EnvironementUpdateMode' does not exist in the current context

HDRP 6.9.1/2019.2

8. PWPeter

PWPeter

Sent you a DM with a fix for this issue.

Matf1 likes this.
  9. Sam512

Sam512

Okay, right now.. I already use Vegetation Studio

10. PWPeter

PWPeter

Two new tutorial videos for Gaia have arrived:

Gaia Pro Tutorial 1 - Getting Started

Gaia Pro Tutorial 2 - Modifying A Biome

Mark_01 likes this.
  11. PWPeter

PWPeter

Mark_01 likes this.
  12. Swindger

Swindger

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I have to beginn somewhere:

I have purchased Gaia Pro recently, and I have only scratched the surface, but I can tell that it is a huge fun to play around with it.
    Now I thougt, I take the opportunity (Black Week) and have bought 3DForge Village Exterior (and Interior) to enhanche the experience.
    But now, if I open a new project only with Gaia Pro and 3DForge and I generate a Gaia Pro biome I get hunderts of errors like:
    "Assets\3DForge\GaiaIntegration\ThreeDForge_VillageExteriorsKit.cs(23753,15): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Utils' does not exist in the namespace 'Gaia' (are you missing an assembly reference?)"

So is 3DForge only compatible with Gaia(1) and not with Gaia Pro, or did I do something wrong (tried it on two computers, both win10, Unity3D 2019.2.14f1)

I am rather new to Unity3D in general, so excuse me if this is a stupid question.

13. PWPeter

PWPeter

Most of the assets on the asset store have not been adapted to work with Gaia Pro yet. We still need to approach the other asset store developers and provide them with the information needed to straighten out these issues. However since Gaia (Pro) produces unity standard terrain, these assets should still work together with Gaia Pro, it is just the integrations that are broken, not the general compatibility.
    For the Village Exteriors kit it should work if you remove the "Gaia Intergration" folder from the project. You will not be able to create an pre-configured spawner for those assets from the GX menu as used to in Gaia 1, but the assets by itself should be usable with the Gaia spawners just fine when you add them as game object resources. (Which is usually what you want to do anyways to tailor them to the requirements of your project)

You can also take a look on the "Villages" spawner in the Gaia manager, it contains spawners for the sample 3D Forge buildings contained in Gaia:

upload_2019-11-30_17-58-40.png

If you take a look at the spawn rules, you will notice that they contain a lot of single instances for each building, chicken coop, etc. You don't need to assemble all this data by hand, but you can place a bunch of these prefabs as an arrangement in the scene view, and then just drag and drop all selected objects on the Resource drop box in the spawner - it will then automatically create a rule for you that spawns this object arrangement "as a whole":

upload_2019-11-30_18-2-32.png

14. ikazrima

ikazrima

I got the same issue, also on HDRP 6.9.1/2019.2.
    Haven't touched Gaia for quite a time, but just grabbed CTS and excited to try it.

15. mbussidk

mbussidk

I fixed that by changing it to "EnvironmentUpdateMode", i.e. delete the extra letter e

ikazrima likes this.
  16. ikazrima

ikazrima

How I missed that, lol.
    And this is why I shouldn't be working at 1 AM ;)

17. Swindger

Swindger

Thank you very, very much. Will try this ASAP!

18. eaque

eaque

Hi all,

Will we have the chance to get Gaia2 for christmas? :)

19. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Gaia and Gaia pro are on sale in the asset store right now. Is it possible to upgrade to pro for the difference ($10)?

20. AnthonyPaulO

AnthonyPaulO

Tried getting an answer to this on Discord but was unable to. I purchased Gaia since it's a procedural generator thinking I could tap into it to create continuous terrain data but from the demo scene I'm starting to think that this is a procedural generator that is meant to be used at design time for non-continuous terrain. Is there a way for me to tap into the terrain generation function so that I can generate my own continuous terrain? For example, if I have a voxel world similar to minecraft I'd like to be able to tap into the terrain generator and supply my own terrain blocks given an x,y,z coordinate. I'm getting the feeling it's not possible but it doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks in advance.

21. eaque

eaque

Nice try!;)

22. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

While $10 may sound overly optimistic, it isn't as ridiculous as selling the upgrade for $45 when the asset is currently on sale for $48.50.

23. Zimnel

Zimnel

A 45$ upgrade feels like a bit steep for me. I'll be waiting for Gaia 2 release : )

24. PWPeter

PWPeter

it is a bit difficult to apply the 50% discount on top of the already reduced upgrade path, at a certain point it becomes not financially sustainable for us anymore to offer products on the asset store when we are offering discounts on discounts.

25. PWPeter

PWPeter

That is correct, Gaia / Gaia Pro was made to be a design time tool rather than for realtime generation. Runtime generation is not officially supported by Gaia: Gaia uses some functionality that is part of the Editor namespace and therefore won't run in a build. In theory you can call the Gaia Stamper and Spawners as well during runtime to populate a terrain. Try looking into the spawning and stamping buttons from the respective editor, if you look into the code you will find that they boil down to call a single function that applies the stamp or does the spawn, so you could call those from your own scripting as well. But when you try to run this in a build, you might need to add a few workarounds though to either deactivate the "editor only" functionality or find a workaround to make it available in the build.
    We want to support this in the future with Gaia 2 / Gaia Pro as we are getting this question a lot and we think it would be valuable to have e.g. for using Gaia to generate a terrain as a level on game start.

26. AnthonyPaulO

AnthonyPaulO

Good to know that you guys are looking into potentially including this in a future version. Thanks for the reply!

27. eaque

eaque

i agree with the logic but it should be around 22.5 dollars on sale! guess i would upgrade at this price but still waiting for Gaia2.:)

28. captaincaveman

captaincaveman

GTX 1060 Ryzen 1800x -- Gaia Pro default scene, default settings, default unity renderer Medium Map, Normal Desktop... Standing still I am get 70fps, once I start moving around the scene I am dipping below 40fps. I am still learning unity, but with original Gaia 1 I could put up a very large 2048 scene loaded with assets and I was getting 80 - 90 fps. I have started over three times now and this is just killing me. Do I have to have a 2080 to use Gaia pro for anything that looks decent? What's going on here?

29. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Question about performances.
    I have downloaded the latest Gaia pro version from the asset store; created a 2x2 2048 terrain with default spawner for the mountain profile. The terrain has 10 stamps total.

Once I added all the spawner, my machine is fundamentally slowing down to a crawl in the Unity editor. viewport is lagging seconds behind, same for any other Unity control. When I run the scene, I get an average of 4 FPS; which is the first time happening in any of my projects, even the ones with 16K by 16K terrains with a ton of elements on it.

Also it seems that I can't even bake the occlusion culling maps, because Unity goes out of memory (I assume, it just say failed in split phase, so fundamentally I am drawing everything on the terrain.

I have a pretty decent machine; it is an 8th gen i7 with a 1070 and 32 GB of DDR ram, so nothing spectacular but run any game and 99% of my 3d apps and 3d engines without a problem.

Is the problem that Gaia pro is still unfinished, and as such, not optimized for large terrain? Am I supposed to make only small terrains like in the demos? Am I missing some optimization needed to get everything run smooth? I am using the standard pipeline, so not even the fancy hdrp or similar. Thanks

30. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Just a note. I agree, although if a regular customer pay the same price of an existing customer that already invested in your product, and that is allowing your company to exist, should at least get something more than the new customer, as far as discount goes.
    50% on top of 50% may feel too much; but maybe you can give an extra 15% off, so it doesn't look like new customers and existing customers are exactly the same. Without us buying the product in first place, there was no further versions, isn't it?

I bought pro anyway; but if this is how things go; then I will just wait for sales, because there is no incentive in being early adopters to support further development, if there is no advantage in doing so.

31. captaincaveman

captaincaveman

I was told in discord to turn off the new water shader, not at home yet so I can't, but you might give that a try

32. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

I was getting that before even adding the water, tried with Aqua too and the framerate is still the same

33. captaincaveman

captaincaveman

I don't know, but I just spent another 45 bucks on this and I am kind of pissed myself

Ne0mega likes this.
  34. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Lots of discussion here :)

I guess I can make a few observations / clarify a few things.

1. Performance
    • I have no problems getting great performance with Gaia and there are many levers you can tweak to do this.

The bottom line is that the more you put into a Unity scene, the slower it runs. This is a fundamental truism of game development and has always been. Here is an article that I wrote on optimization several years ago that can give some hints on how to optimize: http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/tutorials/mobile-unity-scene-optimisation-with-gaia/

• There is no point comparing performance between Gaia 1 and Gaia Pro - Gaia Pro has a whole new biome, and a whole bunch of new assets, and a bunch of different biome templates. These are richer and prettier... and that comes at the cost of performance. Btw... the original Gaia 1 content is still shipped so you can set your own spawners up and use if you want to.
    2. Upgrade Price
    • We wanted to ship just one asset - Gaia Pro for an upgrade of $15 for everyone.

This would have been an awesome and cheap upgrade for everyone, and would have made enough money to enable us to pay the team, however, certain members of the community made this impossible and we had to do an optional $45 upgrade instead.

To sweeten the deal our customers are getting an entirely re-written and way more powerful system, a new pack of high quality content assets, a new water system, more capability, and what I think is probably the best level of support in the asset store.

Some people see this as a negative - but it is in fact our way of thanking our customers and lifting the bar to a whole new level.
    3. Gaia 2
    • The rewrite has been a massive undertaking, and we are still working on it. In the next week we introduce support for U2019.3, and in the following few weeks we are shooting to bring back a way more powerful version of our random terrain generator.

The reality of creating software as complex as Gaia is that it is really hard, and it takes a lot of time and effort to stabilize. In addition to doing a big rewrite we have started producing assets and shaders - which introduces other complexities across unity versions, pipelines, and pipeline versions.

As soon as we finalize Gaia Pro, we will push a subset of this as Gaia 2 - and this will be free for our existing Gaia 1 customers.

Why Gaia Pro first ? Because many people won't upgrade, and this gives us a smaller bunch of people to support. Support costs us a lot of time, so this is a big deal. Had we gone Gaia 2 free first, we would still be working through the support load from that first release, and no further development would have been done.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Goodgulf and StevenPicard like this.
  35. captaincaveman

captaincaveman

I am using the default settings. What are your system specs (What CPU, How much ram, Video Card... the exact settings you use to get such great results?

36. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

It's irrelevant. Please read the page at the link I gave to see why.

Gaia is a tool that puts stuff into your scene and it is easy to configure this in order to meet your performance criteria.

For the record however, my machine is a 4yo mid range development desktop with 16gb ram. Many of the parts of been upgraded to make it run better but the CPU has never been upgraded. I used to have gtx 970, and upgraded to a gtx 1070 some time ago.

37. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Hi Adam, thanks for the clarification; let me reply on some points

The assumption is that you spent time figuring out what works best, and as such; you have set the biomes in a balanced way for the most common hardware settings and terrain settings, isn't it? I can't really make a game and sell it, and then have people yelling because they need a 2080ti and an i9 or threadripper to run it at high quality.

I am aware of the differences in game development; believe me, I have been writing assembly code when people were probably learning how to read and write; on top of being in top 20 silicon valley companies for the past 20+ years, so I have a slight idea :)
    I agree that performances is a balance between many elements, but if I buy something that procedurally build an environment for me; and I can only get it to work if I make a simple demo like the one you show in your videos, then you may agree with me that some expectations have been missed.

As you teach me, scalability is what makes the difference when making terrains. If you blame me for putting 400 spawners, because I didn't understand that my computer can't run that many spawners, then I may agree; but I used your presets, and my machine is not a 486 dx :) So I would expect to not get 32 GB of RAM filled up just for running a scene with 2x2 terrains at 2048 resolution. Then if you are telling me that I can get great terrains only if I make a single terrain, that's OK, as long as I know that scalability is not in your court. You are kinda selling Crisys fundamentally; so to run Gaia decently on large terrain, I have to wait for the hardware to become available.

Not asking to try out every hardware combination, that is silly; just asking that if there are optimizations that you are aware of; like baking occlusion culling or reducing the terrain resolution, deactivate the post-processing effects and such; they would be optimized for the profiles, and use realistic settings. I have tried the same scene on an alienware area-51M and even on that machine I can't get the editor to run decently, once you make a 2x2 2048 terrain with your default settings... and that is considered a high end machine I believe.

Fair enough, I am not sure how certain members made this impossible, but I won't get in your things. It is not my place so I take it at face value.

BTW when we talk about "entirely rewritten", I assume you don't mean that literally. If that is the case; I am amazed at how can you get things done by writing everything from the ground up, instead of using libraries written by others or your own code. Of course there is a large amount of code to write as new; but I would be surprised if you would not re-use most of what is in Gaia already. I write AI algorithms and ML process, which is what I am assuming you are using here, so I am familiar with the topic.

Of course being responsive with support, and offering new features is a great thing, but you may understand also that users that spend money for assets, are doing so because they want to support further development and support/bug fixes; so when the price for something that offer similar features, is the same for existing and new users, the offer start to look less valuable as before.

I appreciate your work; and that's why I bought the first Gaia; I wanted to see more and you did deliver great updates; my only gripe at this point is that moving to Gaia Pro, expecting to get better optimizations and the capability to use multiple terrains, ended up being not realistic, because I have to cut off considerably on visual quality, to the point where it is better to use Gaia at this point, because it is more efficient in the current state.

I believe you know your team and the amount of work you can handle, so if this is your approach that's fine. I find it a bit confusing to have multiple products, but that's me.

I can relate about creating complex software; which is why in my personal projects as game developer, I avoid to go too far from what I can actually deliver, so I can iterate fast and put out products that can be always revised and improved in waves. At work I can rely on a world top tier set of people that work with me, so complexity is only bound to when the product has to be released. Your efforts are appreciated; as proven by the fact that at least personally, I purchased multiple products from you.

I would just appreciate a product that can scale better, because Gaia Pro is not, compared to Gaia. I will find my way around things eventually, but it is all time that I am wasting, and that could be employed in actually writing code. I was probably relying on few clicks to create environments, without realize that there was no active work done to balance spawners content on the presets.

38. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Thanks for sharing your configuration. Would you mind make a tutorial video then, that show how you can achieve on a machine like yours, a multi terrain setting, using your default spawners?

Clearly there are optimizations that goes beyond the standard ones that most unity developer know; if you can use that setup and make large terrains. So a clarification in video format would really be appreciated, If you have time of course; and would be probably more helpful compared to videos where small terrain are created. Thanks!

39. captaincaveman

captaincaveman

It's irrelevant.... wow, your customer service skills ... We don't expect you to hold our hands or teach us how to do things. Just tell us what we are doing wrong since Gaia pro is so amazing!! I bought quite a bit of the things you sell, was planning to buy the rest of them, but this... wth. So for the love of god look at what I am writing before going on the offensive.

My machine is not great I will give you that. 1060 16gb of ram ryzen 1800x... not a next gen machine, but a decent.

I took all the biomes out, all the grass out, no trees, no buildings, no water, All that exists is the terrain and and textures, the default post processing fog. I even clicked the optimize function in the gx tab hoping that would do something. https://imgur.com/a/zW4VElf

40. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

I think I am starting to reduce the problem to multi terrain.

Made a 8K terrain, as single terrain, and things were a bit better, compared to a comparable size but made with multiple terrains. The editor is still slowing down but it is at least usable. Another big impact is given when you set the quality to high end desktop. Spawners take a lot of time and lock up the machine in some case (tried it on a 8K single terrain ), even after all the spawners were completed, the machine was using about 10 GB of ram and Unity editor was totally unusable, to the point where I had to kill it.

This is how it looks like, has been like this for 4h now, no progress, and the GPU is at 98%. It does look like an issue to me. The graphics card has 8 GB of VRAM, so that should be plenty to be honest.

stuck.JPG

I have been playing with Gaia pro for about 3 days now; and in 90% of the cases, either I need to kill Unity because it become unresponsive, or I loose my work because of some strange behavior. I am fundamentally saving the scene at each step, because I am concerned to loose what I did, and this is while using stock settings and spawners. I didn't even found the will to make any customization, considering that things are already unstable using the default settings

Also while clearing the spawners, I triggered a bug that made my scene to look like the one on this image

terrain became green.JPG

I went in each spawner and selected "remove all"; because I wanted to start from a clean slate with just the terrain without anything on it, including textures, and that's what happened. Stamping was not bringing back any of the spawners, the whole scene did look green with an outline for distant mountains. First time I see this, not sure what happened. I am just starting with a new scene at this point.

BTW I remember that Gaia had a single button to clear all the spawners, but can't find the same in Gaia Pro, is that expected?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  41. magique

magique

Does Gaia Pro have any direct integration with VS or VS Pro?

42. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Not sure what you mean by direct integration; the code is not visible from what I can tell, only the scripts

43. magique

magique

Well, in Landscape Builder you can use LB to generate the trees and foliage placement for the scene and then with a single click it will put it all into Vegetation Studio for you automatically.

44. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Not familiar with LB but that would be a nice feature to have in Gaia. When adding assets in Gaia you have to create the POI and rules, I am not aware of any facility that allow you to just import assets.

The exception are the integrated packages like Aquas, Enviro and others. If you have those, you can import them seamlessly in a Gaia scene with one click. But I could be wrong; used the first Gaia some time ago, and have been using Gaia Pro for few days, so I have yet to go down into the details. I am having issues just to get a single scene created so far.

45. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yeap. We don't have any magic bullets for multi terrain performance in Unity. This gets worse, if you want to do something that is lush and high poly.

Some of the approaches that help are based around streaming and culling. Sectr gets a nice performance improvement on 1k terrain tiles and can cull and streams them for you. Even this is tends to be situational. On massive environments its great. On small environments your mileage will vary.

We have been working on a new system called Storm that is aimed at making Unity perform much better. Initial indications are very positive. In one stress test scene it takes Unity from 1.9fps to 130fps. Storm takes an entirely different approach - it will break your environments up into tiles and then instance everything. It culls and lods things, automatically generates and uses impostors, can stream 000's of km, and will work with any Unity environment.

We have to be very careful about what we publish. This release of Gaia leverages some code, but takes an entirely different approach to the previous version. The significant majority is Gaia Pro either re-written or completely new.

It is useful to distinguish between the speed and capability of software vs speed and look of the environments generated.

The new Gaia Pro is massively faster and way more capable than Gaia 1 in terms of what it can do. This is big step forward. We are working on a more sophisticated random environment generator than the original, and will also bring non destructive editing over the next month or so as they are completed and tested.

The new content is much richer than the old content and looks much nicer, but this comes at a run time performance cost. We are working at optimizing both the content, and the shaders, and expect to make incremental improvements in each new release, however the underlying engine is still Unity, so we are kind of stuck there.

Peter and I spoke about this for the biome spawner, but it got put on hold with higher priority bug fixes. I would like to improve this as well.

No offence was intended. This is a learning process for us as well on an engine that is in a constant state of flux. As we come up with new and better approaches, we will automate if we can, and share when we can. The original Gaia has many tutorials. The new Gaia Pro less so, as we are still working towards what we want to deliver from a feature perspective. When we have nailed our core feature set, then we will focus on sharing the techniques we create to make it run well.

No.

Mark_01 likes this.
  46. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Thanks Adam,

So, from my understanding, Gaia pro is able to deliver what you show in the videos, out of the box, only if you make small terrains. This is fundamentally what you wrote, in a language that is mostly PR talk; throwing in the mix also a new product you are working on; which to be honest; if it solve problems with large terrain, should probably have an implementation in Gaia Pro too.

Again, you are here to make money; and I am here to solve a problem: to make a large terrain that does not hang my high spec machines. Even a single terrain with all the spawners as in the side mountain settings, hang my machine. I can get the spawning process done without hanging only on a 2048 terrain, using the powerful desktop setting and the side mountain profile, wihtout touch anything.

If all of this was mentioned upfront, I could say that I would not even bother to get the pro version; because as is now, it is a waste of money. And we can't really use the "hey, it is your machine" card, because the next step for a more powerful computer is probably a cluster in Nasa with a GV card. It is not realistic to say that Gaia works fine, and advertise that it works for large terrains, and then say "but you need to scale down the quality". What is the point of optimizations then? I can get the same results that I am getting with Gaia, by doing everything by hand. If we consider that most of the time I waste is because the editor slow down or crash; forcing me to start again the spawning process or the editing or what else.

You can put all the nice content you like, but if it works only on small maps, and you tell me that I have to optimize your spawners and other game objects, to figure out how to get a decent balance, sorry but it is not really realistic. If this was mentioned upfront in the training videos and on the product page, I would not have anything to say; but I buy a product assuming that it is optimized to handle large terrain, and I end up wasting time and money in the end.

I am not sure how much use I can get out of Gaia at this point; I can make terrains on my own, I end up placing by hand most of the content anyway, because even with the previous Gaia it would take me a ton of time just to find the right values to create a spawner, going by trial and error; so to be honest, I can probably use it on small terrain for making test levels and that's it. Since I have to deal with all the optimization, at least I do it on my own code; so I don't have to chase ghosts.

Thanks for your time, hopefully you will come around a solution to make this package useful out of the box, for large terrains; but considering that most of your users are not concerned about that aspect, I guess you found your audience, so all is good. Cheers.

Rowlan likes this.
  47. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

My comments are not PR speak, and it is not our job to fix the engine for a company that has a thousand engineers and hundreds of millions in VC investment, for pennies.

However, we actively work to improve all our tech and all our content all the time and we take all feedback seriously. For what it's worth I am not happy with the current performance of our content either, and the team is working to optimize it further for the next release.

llJIMBOBll and StevenPicard like this.
  48. jykholodia

jykholodia

Hi,

I'm having an issue with the Ocean Water shader for Unity 2019.2 LWRP 6.9.1. Specifically the foam.
    It works fine without it, but is all black with it.
    Am I missing something? I tried changing all parameters, using different textures, but it always stays black.

With foam:
    upload_2019-12-12_14-55-39.png

Without:
    upload_2019-12-12_14-55-5.png

49. PaperMouseGames

PaperMouseGames

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I just got Gaia Pro and I'm learning / experimenting with it but neither the first person or the fly camera controllers seem to be working. I can rotate the camera fine, but my inputs on the keyboard don't move the camera or character at all.

My vertical and horizontal Axes in Project Settings look good, left them as default. Any tips?

50. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

Hello sir I am checking on this issue now .. I will need a few min to download and build

jykholodia likes this.