Search Unity

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

?

Would you pay an upgrade fee for Gaia 2 so that we can hire to accelerate its development?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2018.
  1. Yeah super cool - I would pay a $15 upgrade fee to get it faster!

83 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. No way - you promised free and i am happy to wait!

20 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

Did i miss something?
    There was a day night cycle in Gaia or not?
    I find it not anymore.
    Anybody knows where it is hidden?

2. P_Jong

P_Jong

There is not a day night cycle in Gaia.

Andreas12345 likes this.
  3. mukki014

mukki014

I've not tried it with bake lighting yet .but work great with real time GI

4. PWPeter

PWPeter

There is just different presets for day and night skies & matching post-processing. It is common though that users also add a sky asset such as enviro to their scenes that add a day and night cycle, maybe this is what you remember?

Andreas12345 likes this.
  5. PWPeter

PWPeter

As far as I know this has to do with the use of Unity Post-Processing Volumes for the water effects rendering, those just don't render the same way in scene view as they do while the game is running.

6. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

I didnt remember :)

7. Auticus

Auticus

I came to the conclusion that when I ship real levels I'll just use a different water shader and water object. It works for prototyping at the very least!

8. jbsgamezone

jbsgamezone

Not exactly a Gaia issue but I've seen the topic in Adam's tutorial (
    ) so here it goes :

I want to build Gaia Stamps from heightmaps from http://terrain.party/

Instead of saving one png image, I saved 4 smaller png images (with a greater detail per image) with the purpose of sticking them together and making a final 16bit raw map. I was surprised to notice that the png files have different colors / intensities. At least in the middle where it is a lake there should have been the exact same shade of grey, right ?

TahoeTestHeightMap.png

Did anyone run into this before ?

Thanks

9. EdgeOfDawnStudios

EdgeOfDawnStudios

Hello Procedural Generation Team / Adam,

I was wondering if there was a way to make the manual terrain sculpting and terrain painting features of Gaia work at runtime. I am working on a in-game level editor and would love to use your tools if I could.

Thank you for your time,
    ~EdgeofDawnStudios

10. PWPeter

PWPeter

I don't know how terrain.party assembles their heightmap data for the download, but I would assume that the gradient or "scale" from white to black is adjusted according to the height difference covered in each image:
    If you would download data from a hill that is 100 meters high for example, the peak of that hill will be white, and the lowest point around it will be black.
    If you download data from a real high mountain that is 5000 meters high, the highest point will be white as well and the lowest point at, let's say 1800 meters, will be black, even if its height in real life would be above the 100 meters of the hill from example 1.
    In other words: I think the real world heights are not tied directly to a certain color of the heightmap image download, but instead these images use a gradient scale that represents the maximum height difference that is present in this image.

The problem is that I don't know how you could prevent or work around this, the best idea I have is to make a stamp and just ignore the different height levels. Then you apply the stamp across an entire terrain with the same heigthmap resolution as the stamp image, and fix up all the errors (different height level in the lake, seams on mountains etc.) in the terrain. Then you use the Gaia scanner to turn that fixed terrain back into a stamp again. In this way the heights and lows of some of the mountains will not be 100% at the same height as they are in real life, but it should still be a coherent & convincing stamp.

11. PWPeter

PWPeter

Gaia was not designed to be used during runtime and it is not officially supported. In theory it is possible to call the spawner and stamper functions from a script during runtime as well. When you build your game you will notice that Gaia makes use of classes out of the Editor namespace which won't work in a build, so you will need to replace these parts with your own logic according to your project and target platform.

12. Shadowing

Shadowing

@AdamGoodrich You gotta get the terrain generator being better man. Been using Gaia for 3 or more years now.

The sliders for stamps really means nothing.
    Just spent a entire hour and still haven't gotten anything close to what I'm wanting.
    The entire generator needs to be completely overhauled with completely new ideas or something.

This is setting plains chance to 80%. One would expect that 80% of the terrain would be plains.
    I notice when you add stamps there is no stamp for plains.
    Shouldn't a generator stamp the highest things first. First mountains, then hills, then rivers, then lakes, then cayons and then do plains last? I think thats the issue maybe the ordering in stamping.

If the random generator is this bad and me using Vegetation studio now for vegetation. The only real use for using Gaia is the Texture generator since Unity is adding stamping in soon and its only a matter of time they add a texture generator.

Sorry for the negative feed back but its really bad and I've been using for a very long time now. The only way I get results I like is by sheer luck and its usually not expected results I just happen to generate something I like eventually.

There is also way to much allowance for errors which leave the user with completely unrealistic results for terrain.

Quique-Martinez and SickaGamer like this.
  13. csharpstudios

csharpstudios

I can't find the gaia manager. When I click window, nothing is there.

14. PWPeter

PWPeter

Do you currently see any errors in the Unity console? If there are any "hard" errors that won't disappear when you clear the console you need to fix those first because these might prevent compilation of the project.

15. ArcticHorse

ArcticHorse

Using Unity 2018.3.0f2, if I click Window, I see Procedural Worlds and Gaia Manager but I get an error message:

You're missing some Gaia dependencies. This includes Postprocessing V2, the Speed Tree samples, and some Standard Asset samples. I get a message Would you like to install them.

If I do that, I can access the Gaia Manager.

BUT, I get a lot of benign console errors that I don't know whether I should try to fix them or not and I get a killer red console error which means I can't do much:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Gaia.UIConfiguration.OnEnable () (at Assets/Gaia/Scripts/ValueAdds/UIConfiguration.cs:39)

What should I do? Thanks for any help.

16. PWPeter

PWPeter

That is kinda normal so far, Gaia requires those assets for some of the functionality, especially if you want to follow along seamlessly with the quickstart guide without having to fish for suitable demo assets for testing every 5 minutes.

There are still a bunch of warnings appearing when you use Gaia in 2018.3, mostly due to some unity functions having been marked as obsolete recently, you can safely ignore those for now. The red error should not happen though, I looked into it and it looks like there is an issue with the "FlyCam" Camera that Gaia sets up in step 3 from the Gaia Manager. ("Create Player, Post FX, Screenshotter.....")
    The error reads like it is missing the usual UI text control with the usage instructions that is appearing on the fly camera. If you don't need those, you can just remove the component "UiConfiguration" from the GameObject FlyCameraUI.
    If you need the instructions on the camera, please remove the camera from your scene entirely and click step 3 in the Gaia Manager again for restoring the camera.

17. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

Any idea when all of the updates/upgrades are going down for CTS, Gaia, Gena ect...

18. Mark_01

Mark_01

shameless post... With the new terrain system in 2018.3 X f .. WOW .. I am never going back to
    2017.4 LTS even. IMHO , the people that will need the " old CTS " will be people with games out that
    are using Unity 5x or 2017.4 LTS

I mean I can not see how anyone now would start a new game project on 2017.4 even. going forward.

That said I am hoping CTS get the first upgrade simply becasue the other tools can be used in 2018.3 now...
    Gaia and Gena can be used in 2018.3 ... with out any missing features really I mean.
    CTS though for the new terrain system, to me I hope it is a higher priority, is all.

As I am sure most all know, I love all Procedural Worlds products and recommend them all, with out reservation.
    I am simply hoping that CTS will be first on the list. :oops:

EDIT: OH and a Very Happy New Year to the whole team! :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  19. ArcticHorse

ArcticHorse

Thanks very much!

20. PWPeter

PWPeter

I think the people who still use 2017 or earlier versions are either "stuck" with it for technical reasons, or don't want to upgrade in the middle of the project and maybe break things in the process. If you got an entire team polishing a game for the release in 2 months and you don't need any of the new features it makes little sense to upgrade unity in between and risk potential issues.

We are working on updates for all the PW assets, but there is no ETA yet. CTS will be first though since this is requested the most. Note that you can mostly use CTS in 2018.3 already as long as you turn off "Draw Instanced" in the unity terrain settings. You might see warnings and error messages here and there, but in general it should work like in the previous versions as long as "Draw Instanced" is turned off.

Goodgulf and Mark_01 like this.
  21. Mark_01

Mark_01

Thanks so much, May 2019 be even better then 2018 for the Procedural Worlds team and their associates.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  22. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

We are working on them. Aim is to have them drop in January.

Mark_01 and Goodgulf like this.
  23. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I did a bunch more work on this in Gaia 1.9 and was really happy with the improvement - however I was not testing for the percentage of stamp type selected.

The thing with the generator is that it randomly chooses to add new stuff or to remove stuff - but this is a weighted random selection, and sometimes you get results in which an additional stamp wipes out the effect of an earlier stamp. You can see it happening as you play it back - and you can always disable a specific step but keep the rest if you don't like it.

The other option is to just add your stamps manually - that way you can design your environment just the way you like it.

form_d_K and Mark_01 like this.
  24. Jim_Gleaves

Jim_Gleaves

Has WebGL support been removed from the latest version? I notice that the Gaia menu is not appearing in Unity after I switch over the WebGL as the target platform. I suspect we can switch over to WebGL after we have created a scene but I want to make sure the work flow has changed.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  25. folkniry

folkniry

Hi. Help me please. I want to generate a terrain using GAIA. And I would like to have several biomes in it. I use CTS for terrain texturing. And I want to use dynamic loading for my terrain. So, the terrain sould be sliced. How can I make generation, using unique CTS Profile(cause I need a certain amount of textures for each biome) for each slice? Is there a way to combine GAIA and terrain slicing to generate immediately with textures?
    PS:Sorry for my bad english

26. PWPeter

PWPeter

Answered from the support ticket: WebGL support should not have been removed. There should be no platform constraint or setting at all that makes the Gaia menu not appearing. The most common case when this happens is that there are errors in the console that prevent the Gaia scripts from compiling properly which in turn does not create the menu entries for them. Can you please check if you see any red errors in your unity console that don't disappear when you press "Clear" in the console window?
    If that is not the case, can you check what happens if you locate
    Assets\Gaia\Scripts\Editor\GaiaManagerEditor.cs
    in your asset hierarchy and right click on it and select "Reimport"? This file should create at least some of the Gaia Menu entries in the "Window" menu.

27. PWPeter

PWPeter

This is a bit tricky, but it can be done. The problem is that CTS is limited to 16 PBR texture sets, which is usually not enough for multiple biomes at once. When you create a CTS profile from a terrain, it will pick up the current textures on the terrain and add them to the CTS profile. So you would need to create an individual Gaia texture spawner for each CTS profile that you want to make, and run that spawner only on the sliced terrains. Each sliced terrain would need to have only the right textures on it for the individual CTS profile. This can't be done automatically per default, and it would be quite a bit of effort because you would need to deactivate every sliced terrain one by one, run gaia with the correct spawner on it, deactivate it, activate the next sliced terrain, and so on. This will become exhausting quick, I think you would need to automate this in a script that textures the terrain slices for you with the correct Gaia spawner (and maybe also creates / assigns the CTS profiles).

28. Jim_Gleaves

Jim_Gleaves

Thanks, that was the problem. There was a conflict with Microsplat. I created a new project without Microsplat and the Gaia menu is visible.

Mark_01 and PWPeter like this.
  29. folkniry

folkniry

Thanks a lot! I'll try it.

30. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Curious to see what that is. We do not knowingly do anything that would cause issues with any other asset.

Mark_01 likes this.
  31. jjobby

jjobby

Does Gaia support HDRP in Unity 2018.3?

32. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

We have preliminary support but looks like latest unity release broke it again. We will be releasing update in a week or two.

Mark_01 likes this.
  33. PWPeter

PWPeter

If you don't want to wait for the update mentioned by Adam, you can set up your terrain for HDRP yourself as well in the meantime. Before you do, note that you need to make sure every (!) material you want to use in your final scene needs to use a shader that is working in HDRP. Unity added a HDRP terrain shader in 2018.3, but Speed Tree shaders and Unity terrain details for example don't work in HDRP at the moment, so you would need an alternative for that.

You can follow these steps to set up your Gaia terrain for HDRP:

1. Make sure the High Definition Rendering Pipeline is installed in the package manager
    2. Create a new High Definition Render Pipeline Asset by clicking "Create" in your asset hierarchy, then
    Rendering > High Definition Render Pipeline Asset
    3. Open Edit >Project Settings > Graphics and add your High Definition Render Pipeline Asset in the slot at the top
    4. <optional> Create your terrain with the Gaia Manager (in Built-in rendering mode) or manually. You can skip this step if you got a terrain already of course.
    5. Select the terrain, open the terrain settings in the inspector and switch the terrain material to custom
    6. Create a new material anywhere in your asset hierarchy, name it something like "HDRP Terrain Material"
    7. In the material, select the "HDRenderPipeline/TerrainLit" shader from the shader dropdown menu at the top.
    8. Assign your new "HDRP Terrain Material" material in the custom material slot in the terrain inspector settings.

After you followed through with these steps, your terrain should be rendered with HDRP correctly. You can follow the same steps for LWRP if you create a LWRP Pipeline asset and choose the LWRP terrain shader instead. If you want to switch back to built-in rendering, you can just remove the pipeline asset in the graphics settings, and switch the terrain material to "built-in" in the unity terrain settings.

camta005, AdamGoodrich and Mark_01 like this.
  34. Ivoryjw

Ivoryjw

Hello there. I'm extremely impressed by both Gaia and the Ambient Skies samples. Speaking of the samples, when is the release date of the ambient skies asset? Unless its already out. I really want more for that.

35. PWPeter

PWPeter

Hi, thanks for the praise! Unfortunately we don't have a fixed release date for Ambient Skies yet.

36. Ivoryjw

Ivoryjw

Thank you for the response.

37. Tovrin

Tovrin

I realise that tiling terrain is currently scheduled for Gaia 2.0. Is there an ETA on that at all?

Failing that, can anyone recommend something that'll allow me to divide up terrain into neat square chunks? I have a 2028x2048 area that I want to divide into 512x512 terrain squares. I want to build the terrain in Gaia first, get all it all right with river and road placement, place down the assets and chop it up into component squares and then divide it up. The specific game framework I'm using prefers terrain in 512x512.

38. Moe-Mogare

Moe-Mogare

I have a real bad glitch on Gaia 1.9.1, when I press the play button I'm stuck on a 2d view & can't move the character & unlike previous versions of GAIA I can't find the player prefab when I add the detail spawners. I bought Gena, I love this developer but now I don't know I never had this issue

39. PWPeter

PWPeter

Unfortunately not, we wanted to have it out by now, but with the changes in the unity terrain system in 2018.3 we took a step back and wanted to make sure that what we are doing with Gaia 2 integrates well and makes sense.

I usually recommended these two scripts to split up terrains in the past:
    https://github.com/dbircsak/blog/blob/master/SplitTerrain/Assets/Editor/SplitTerrain.cs
    http://kostiantyn-dvornik.blogspot.com/2013/12/unity-split-terrain-script.html
    I did not test if those still work in Unity 2018.3 though, I could imagine there are some hiccups with the terrain textures due to the new terrain layer system.

40. PWPeter

PWPeter

The player should be called "FlyCam" in your hierarchy and will be created in step 3 "Create Player, Post FX,...." from the Gaia Manager. Can you please try to click that button and check if a "FlyCam" was added to your scene hierarchy? If yes, you just need to make sure there are not any other cameras in the scene and it should be working. If you are still experiencing issues, could you please post a screenshot of the issue, ideally with the scene hierarchy being visible?

41. Quast

Quast

Can I see some dessert terrains ?

42. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

Hi,

Firstly let me start out by saying that I tried out Gaia + Vegetation studio today for the first time. The result from using the Gaia manager system to set everything up is VERY impressive - many congrats.

I have, however, noticed an odd performance issue which I think is not exclusively limited to the combination of Gaia + Vegetation studio but is I think exacerbated by the combination. My question is whether this is expected behaviour?

To replicate, I am using 2018.3 and following the gaia quickstart tutorial, then adding in veg studio. The issue is essentially the per frame batches seem to fluctuate a lot when the camera moves (but not rotates). Please see screenshots attached from sequential frames whilst moving forward, especially "spiky" profile window.

Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg

Turning off the the "Camera Reflection Probe" object created by Gaia seems to resolve the problem (see third image). FYI I am using an i7-6700 geforce 1070 (mobile) 16MB ram.

Untitled3.jpg

Many thanks in advance,

Jamie

43. PWPeter

PWPeter

Thanks for the detailed report of the issue! The issue is in so far "expected behaviour" as that we noticed as well from our side that the reflection probe can be quite the performance hog for certain scenes. On a terrain made with the default assets this might not be as noticeable first, but in more complex setup with other assets it can add quite up. The automatic setup for flying camera, post processing and reflection probe etc. are useful for getting you started with your terrain setup quickly, but as your project evolves I would recommend to replace them with your own settings and solutions as you see fit, e.g. you could remove the reflection probe or run it with less performance intensive settings.
    We are planning to review the reflection probe setup for the next Gaia update.

jamespaterson and Mark_01 like this.
  44. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

Hello,

I'm trying to create a mobile open world game with Gaia. Currently I'm having an issue after importing mobile friendly trees ( https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/vegetation/trees/mobile-tree-package-18866 ). For some reason, when billboards kick in, they are not rendered over water layer (or are rendered with huge transparency). This does not happen with Gaia's default SpeedTrees objects (forced them to billboard 100% just to test this) :

TREE_3.png

Has anyone run into this before or know what the cause may be ? Where should I look at, what to change ?

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  45. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

UPDATE: FIXED

Digged deep into the issue learning a lot along the way.
    It was related to rendering queue of the shaders used on water and tree materials. Update the water shader's rendering queue to 2900 (from 3000) and left the mobile trees at 3000 and it solved the issue (Speed Trees that came with Gaia had the render queue at 2000 thats why they appeared ok).

TREE6.png

So, if anyone tries to add some 3rd party trees into Gaia and spawn them, make sure the rendering queues are ok.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Goodgulf, PWPeter and Mark_01 like this.
  46. PWPeter

PWPeter

Glad you were able to resolve this issue & thanks for sharing the solution!

47. castor76

castor76

When can we expect multiple terrain support?

48. PWPeter

PWPeter

Multiple terrain support will come with Gaia 2, unfortunately we don't have an ETA for Gaia 2 yet.

49. Ivoryjw

Ivoryjw

Hello there. I tried using the texture spawner and it continues to pump out these errors:
    "IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array."
    "Terrain Layers cannot be populated at the same time as the splats"
    Is there a fix for these?

Also I tried using the scanner to try and scan some terrain for stamps and it continue to pump stamps out that cannot be usable.

Using 2018.3.2.

50. Jbs_GameZone

Jbs_GameZone

Hello,

I've imported Aquas water via GaiaManager > GX > Dogmatic > AQUAS > Add Aquas, but I get an ugly ground reflection that moves around along wherever I point the camera at (maintaining the same shape / pattern in the right of the screen), and I can't get rid of it. It appears only in Game view.

ReflectionAqua_!.png
    Another angle :

ReflectionAqua2.png

Has anyone run into this issue ?