Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. Rhadiel

Rhadiel

Thanks, I will try with a flatter terrain.

2. Player7

Player7

Looking forward to all that .. in the meantime guess I better get upto speed with GAIA

TheSeawolf likes this.
  3. Shadowing

Shadowing

How do I control tree distance and stuff with Gaia. I swear i always could in the past in the standard Terrain component settings. But changing the tree distance and billboard has no effect. If i change tree distance to 0 though trees disappear.
    I notice there is a data thing for Gaia defaults. I change those settings with zero effect as well. I think those are preloaded settings only when you first create a terrain though.

Changing detail setting s on the terrain component works though. So its just trees.

4. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

The challenge is that Unity Trees have been inconsistently done in U5.x onwards as SpeedTrees are treated differently to Terrain trees.

This information is covered in detail in the documentation that comes with Gaia. Also, everything has tool tips, so take a moment to hover over the fields.

Mark_01 and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  5. recon0303

recon0303

As much as everyone likes free. The fact of the MATTER it cost money to make things...With out money, companies/people cant pay the bills...Also who wants to work for free?? So I find it a bit appalling to ask you to do this for free....As it is, GAIA, CTS, is nothing compared to what it would cost each one of us to make it our selves or to hire someone, thousands of LOST development time, and to hire someone would cost thousands...So some of us paid I believe under 30 dollars....Cmon.. I don't think its fair we ask you AT ALL... for free..

You guys need to think long and hard would you want to work for free? Some of us who have been around in the industry know the amount of work..... I always have a strong opinion and are blunt....I personally do not think its fair for anyone to ask you to give a MAJOR update for free...You already gave enough for free..... My strong opinion on this matter...

6. recon0303

recon0303

I had said something like this to him as well. That he should charge a yearly fee for major updates period.. This way he can hire and keep content out and he can compete with Unity or anyone else...IF GAIA cost 300 dollars, which is the going rate today.....for products like World Machine, World Creator..... I still would of bought it..as its a solid piece of software... like those.. in different ways. So I agree with You here.

7. zenGarden

zenGarden

I agree entirely, Gaia has been and is too cheap.

Why not making two development branches :
    - Free updates for bugs fix and small features like some necessary improvments and tweakings
    - Roadmap and devlopment of some major new features with a paid update when they are ready

recon0303 and AdamGoodrich like this.
  8. Shadowing

Shadowing

@AdamGoodrich hey man the link to Pegasus on your asset store SECTR and Pegasus page takes a user to SECTR. I only check those two pages. I'm assuming the link is wrong on all your listings for Pegasus.

9. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thanks for the heads up... was sooo tired when i was updating that stuff last night!

Fixed!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Mark_01 likes this.
  10. Shadowing

Shadowing

Whats the best way to handle a cliff? right now it just stretches the texture like so. I'm using CTS incase its possible to fix it with that.
    Or is a ton of mesh rocks the only way to do it?

11. rasto61

rasto61

Enable triplanar for the texture, in the profile texture settings

12. Shadowing

Shadowing

@rasto61 oh wow thanks man.

Is there no distance setting for triplanar

13. rasto61

rasto61

I dont think there is

14. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Its your near / far value i think.

15. sadicus

sadicus

I just paid for GeNa2 "Multi tile terrain creation exists in Gaia now, in fact it has been in there since 1.5 but is hidden"
    If it works works in Unity 5.6.6 yes, I'll f*!ng pay $15.

16. PolyMad

PolyMad

Sorry if it's already been asked: does Gaia support multiple terrains connected?
    I need to produce large maps, like at least 10x10 Km.

17. leeheppell

leeheppell

Hello, I am trying to follow the tutorials for adding new textures (currently trying the 'Adding more textures' video guide on YouTube). Everything seems to work fine when I use the 'Built In Renderer', but when I use the High Definition 2018 renderer, it fails to add a stamper or add the resources to the terrains. Does anyone know why this is?

Thanks, Lee :)

18. GordGames

GordGames

@AdamGoodrich Hi there, got Gaia with the humble bundle. Loving it so far. Looking at tutorials and docs, is there any explanation for the terrain renderers (basic, 2018 lite, 2018 hd)?

19. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Gaia can do single terrains at a time. You can then cut them up and stream them with Sectr.

Yeap. They don't support terrain yet. Coming in 2018.3.

Not yet. We are waiting for Unity to stabilize them.

Mark_01 likes this.
  20. PolyMad

PolyMad

OK, but what about the terrain seams? Do they blend together?
    I mean, is the workflow easy to set up and produce with multiple terrains?

21. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Depends on what you are trying to do. Gaia itself is single terrain, multi terrain support will come in v2. Gaia will not auto blend / match multiple terrains.

22. recon0303

recon0303

You can use GAIA, to make the map, Then use a free tool to split them up. then use Sector to Stream if you plan to do so. That size you will need to. https://forum.unity.com/threads/split-terrain-script.215398/. There is a few other tools that Bart, from CTS developer that Adam works with , has a few tools to blend, stitch terrain as well. So it can be done with GAIA, but GAIA itself as Adam says don't. but many still do it, with other tools they make or buy. I hope that helps.

23. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

You can actually also use SECTR Core (free) to split them up. Gaia compatibility will land in next few days!!

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/15240

Mark_01 and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  24. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey everyone - we are super pleased to release Path Painter!!!

It's a system that makes it super easy to paint Paths, Roads, Ramps & River Beds into Unity Terrains. Tutorials will come in the next few days.

25. GordGames

GordGames

Ahh great, thanks very much.

26. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Darn you and your excellent assets. I'm supposed to be cutting out my spending in the asset store but you come out with stuff like this. :D

BTW, can this be used for procedural generation?

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  27. Player7

Player7

Still waiting on the SECTR update+tutorials to really try out large scale tiled terrains, my question is will the future of these assets allow them to be used across already split terrain tiles seamlessly ? ie ones like Path Painter?

28. GnomeisIdle

GnomeisIdle

I am a senior c# developer with 20+ years of development under my belt. I am available if you need help, I can moonlight only. Not a unity pro, but many years in high speed imaging, video etc. Lots of optimization and threading experience. I'd charge or need something worked out, but I am also a fanboy, so I'd cut you guys a good deal :)

29. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey everyone, in more very cool news we are super excited to announce that @Shawn67 has just joined the Procedural Worlds team as our Community Manager!

Shawn as been with us since the early days of the first Gaia beta, and makes a terrific addition to our team. In addition to helping everyone get the best out of our suite of tools, he is also bringing his Gaia stamp packs over and you will soon see his existing packs and his new packs joining the Procedural Worlds asset collection.

Please come on over to our Discord server and make him feel welcome! With over 1000 people already there it's hugely active, and is a positive environment where you can learn from your peers, get help, share your work, or just make friends and have a chat!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  30. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi @AdamGoodrich , I've followed your tutorial to make a stamp from another terrain in another project but when I use it the new project terrain it is much blockier. Is there a way to get it into another project and the same resolution?

31. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

It shouldn’t be. All things being equal it is a exact replica of the terrain heightmap. Did you change resolution of new terrain ?

AndyNeoman likes this.
  32. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

I thought that. I left the terrain at 2k but i did notice the stamps were 1024x1024. I will give it another try later. Should I change the size of the stamp as I want it to fill the whole terrain?

33. recon0303

recon0303

oh didn't know that core did that. Thanks for the info. I have it as of a few days ago, the Complete, I will have to check it out. Thanks for the info.

34. Apposl

Apposl

Can someone help me understand the conversion formula/specifics of how I take a terrain party image, and scale it into Unity at 1:1? There are several different resolution and terrain size options, and I'm confused where to change (ie, terrain, or stamper, or both). I have an 8km chunk from TP, and I watched the tutorial on importing real-world environments...but he veers off at the beginning and sticks with the smaller 2k terrain, and just says to make our terrain larger if we want it to real-world scale. But I'm not sure exactly what that conversion looks like, or where I'm drawing numbers from concerning the TP heightmap image. Is there a tutorial that discusses specifically this? I just want to import this chunk I have in, at scale, and walk around to see what it looks like...it doesn't look right on the standard sized terrain. Thank you so much for any help or a pointer to where someone has asked this before. Thank you thank you.

35. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Hi @Apposl... From what I saw back in the early days, I liked a 2:1 ratio where an 8km area on the real map looked good as a 4km terrain. Depending on the end result you are looking for, even a 4:1 can be made to look good playing with the stamper settings for height a little bit. I always found that a 1:1 ratio seemed to be too flat and didn't show enough of the terrain's details. At least not for my tastes.

I would suggest taking those numbers and maybe do a handful of grabs from your source and just experiment with them. Maybe when things calm down, Adam or I can do an updated video on stamp creation and also work in using some of the other new features of Gaia such as the erosion filter, terracing, etc.

Be sure to share some screenies of your results! We'd love to see how you come along with it!

Apposl, Mark_01 and AdamGoodrich like this.
  36. DragonmoN

DragonmoN

Yipee, 2018.3 beta is out :)
    Does anyone know about the terrain rotation, is it implemented? Cant find it, but it would give nice new possibilites^^
    Cant wait to see Gaia finally working with multiple tiles... and CTS in HD Render Pipeline on top of that :-O

37. Apposl

Apposl

Thanks, I will, I've just been doing as you said - experimenting. :)

BackwoodsGaming and AdamGoodrich like this.
  38. S4G4N

S4G4N

I would like to congratulate @AdamGoodrich and the whole team for the great milestone with Gaia, where it all started
    999 STAR ratings with mostly a very satisfactory 5 STARS.
    Lots of work, time, late nights, excited customers, updates and many great things have contributed to a package that has become part of many people's lives.

39. crimn

crimn

40. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Please lodge a support request via our ticketed support system. We communicate across many channels, and its really easy for requests to get lost in the noise. You can see a link to it in my signature.

41. tatelax

tatelax

Is Gaia working in Unity 2018.3 beta?

42. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

Betas are not officially supported, and there were some changes in the terrain engine and in prefabs in the 2018.3 beta. Adam mentioned on the Procedural World discord that they did not update Gaia for these changes yet, so you will most likely run into issues. (Gaia should be compatible with 2018.3 by the time it goes out of beta though)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  43. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep - we currently have crazy work load. 2018.3 will have full support by time it releases.

44. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

Adam,

When do you expected Gaia 2.0 to be out on the asset store?

45. zenGarden

zenGarden

When it's ready :D

(rushing means more bugs)

46. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

I just want wondering on a ETA? I want to start using Multiple terrains in a scene and this will cover that :) Can't wait!

47. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Unfortunately, like @zenGarden said. When it is ready is the best answer. Adam has been expanding the team so we can have resources to dedicate and focus on specific projects. So the good news is it will hit the asset store earlier than we would have been able to get it out there with Adam doing all the coding for Gaia 2 alongside all of the other assets. But unfortunately with things such as Unity changing the terrain system in 2018.3 beta, there are factors which make it difficult to set a date. Our goal is to have it out as soon as possible but at the same time we want to deliver the same quality product that everyone has come to expect from us.

FargleBargle and dsilverthorn like this.
  48. SickaGamer

SickaGamer

Can you guys explain what Gaia can do with multiple terrains in 2.0?

dsilverthorn likes this.
  49. Bodyclock

Bodyclock

Would also like to know this. :)

dsilverthorn likes this.
  50. Free Gaia key is gone.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2018