Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. zenGarden

zenGarden

Or buy UniEngine license :D

For teams making a big game Gaia subscription would work, while for other people not making the next big outdoor game subscription would work for some and would not work for others.
    With Unity new coming terrain and tools, there will be new terrain plugins also, what features would keep Gaia 2 as a most needed plugin ?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Rockwall33 likes this.
  2. chaneya

chaneya

Yeah, I was just sort of joking about an Asset Store subscription service. But my point is that Unity, their Asset Store and those developers who are making professional grade Assets for Unity need to have valid monetization options. The Asset store has grown up. It's not just a hobbyist/part-time system anymore. There are people like Adam attempting to make a living off of those assets and Unity has encouraged that system because it helps their engine.

If the Unity Asset store did have a subscription model, then Adam's company could have an option for a monthly package subscription to all of their company's products, future updates, support etc.

AdamGoodrich and Rockwall33 like this.
  3. Mark_01

Mark_01

To my way of thinking the only people that can pay subscription's are companies that can write
    off subscription costs. Personally I am dead set against sub's .

Major updates deserve an upgrade fee . Gaia 2 by all rights should be an upgrade and
    GPU Gaia 2 should be a new separate asset, with an upgrade path from CPU Gaia
    for a limited time perhaps

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Olander likes this.
  4. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

That’s a good question! I have no idea, even with job system and ecs. It’s getting easier, and different, depending on those aspects. I’m not sure lol

5. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

True!! But it’s possible.

6. sentar

sentar

I've noticed Gaia > Data > Sessions XXX... want to keep saving every time I make a modification inside of the unity3d. Is this planned like this? It makes it relatively annoying less than a minute and I have to constantly keep clicking to save all in unity because of the session from Gaia.

7. twobob

twobob

I would never pay a subscription. ever. and dont. for anything

8. Olander

Olander

This.

I must have Adobe Photoshop CC for business use (I also really like it :D), and currently I have a Unity 4&5 Pro Perpetual (kind of a 2 year sub in the old days :)), and Unity 2017/18 paid yearly sub which is up in October (not renewing). No other subs...period. Unity's new sub is pretty much swallow and like it.

Point is...tools like Gaia 1-2, CTS, GeNa...although are good...not paying a sub for them...ever. How many tools simply go away...deprecated to the Asset Store Abyss? Adam supports his tools...but we have no guarantees here about his tools. For Gaia 2 and the recent re-engineering because of Unity (or other things...A.D.D. for Origami or some new money make idea??)...perhaps Gaia 2/Pro just never really works like it should? Sub? No way.

Best way to lose sales.

9. Shadowing

Shadowing

Can Gaia do rock like this? I noticed a setting that choose the angle where rock should be textured but can it place it on top of hills like this picture?

10. swredcam

swredcam

I'm using clustered gameobject spawning for some bushes and they are getting placed recessed into the terrain by a small amount. Is that something controlled by Gaia or is my prefab off somehow?

11. serberusno1

serberusno1

Hey everyone, wondering if someone can help me reduce my batching. I'm using Gaia and I've created (admittedly) a pretty big terrain and it's currently costing me around 3000 batches. This doesn't seem normal to me tbh so I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing here. The terrain should only have 4 textures on it and there are barely any trees. The trees have their materials set to GPU instancing. I have some simple culling (which in itself needs to be tweaked) but even so I can't rely on simple culling- I imagine the most I can get out of culling is another 300-500 batches. I'm hoping to get my batching down to under 800 as the target platforms will include switch and desktop VR.

12. Mark_01

Mark_01

Support - Knowledge base and ticketed support
    Discord - Connect and have a chat or ask a question

13. Shadowing

Shadowing

The random terrain generator seems to be totally useful for terrains of 16k size. Can't get anything useful out of it.
    The default settings just makes a small island.

Edit: Ok im starting to get better results now by playing the same session twice.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  14. magique

magique

For all you world builders out there I just found a great asset that adds to the world building experience and can help you make your worlds even easier to build. I've just picked it up and it obsoleted 5 different assets I was using and added a feature I didn't even have with all those other packages. It's also Gaia compatible with an option under Gaia Manager for location, time of day, etc. I have barely started using this, but it looks to be a winner. I didn't see any mention of it here in the forums, but if it has been talked about before then my apologies.

The asset is Weather Maker by Digital Ruby.

15. Shadowing

Shadowing

Oh ya I might just buy that Magique. Thanks for posting it. Cause ya I have several assets that does what that does and be nice to just have it all in one if it all works well.

Edit: actually I already own this asset but haven't tried it yet. Probably got it free or on sale or something.

16. magique

magique

Yeah, give it a try. The full screen snow coverage effect is really nice. I had to ask the author how to enable the accumulation, but it wasn't hard once I knew where to turn it on.

17. Shadowing

Shadowing

18. magique

magique

Yeah, I have that as well, but very bad performance. And it doesn't have full screen snow coverage effect of course.

Shadowing likes this.
  19. Shadowing

Shadowing

What asset do I use to get rid of the repeated pattern on ground textures when looking at them from a distance?
    I tried Distingo a long time ago but it gave errors on import and it seems the developer is no longer supporting the asset.

20. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

CTS - See link in my signature :)

twobob, P_Jong and TheSeawolf like this.
  21. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Hello Adam, i’ve been away for a few months and have just returned. Good to see things have been progressing.

I voted for the additional cost for Gaia 2 as you are operating a business with staff overheads and costs to take care of.

I’ve tried to install Gaia 1.7.2 but I’m having the issue where it won’t in uncompress the package as it has apparently already been installed. I’ve read through the pages here and on procedural worlds and have tried all the suggestions still without luck several times.

Tonight I’ll try installing to another location instead of the default unity location.

BackwoodsGaming and AdamGoodrich like this.
  22. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Weird!

23. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

I know first time ever. Anyhoo, I fixed it. It seems I had an older version of Unity installed on the C drive so that when I installed Unity 2018, it went straight into that folder, even though I uninstalled in full in the control panel.

For anyone in the future that may have this error, you'll need to delete the Unity folder in total from the C:/Programs, also delete the Unity folder from the Roaming folder to be sure.

Anyway, I'm back in business.

24. magique

magique

Just reporting back on more Weather Maker evaluation since I brought the Gaia community's attention to it. Without a lot of detail I'd say it's snow coverage system is it's strongest point followed by a decent weather system, but I believe it is lacking in the lighting/sky coloring and volumetric lighting areas.

[EDIT]
    Just adding that I haven't tried the water yet so no comment on that aspect.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  25. Shadowing

Shadowing

One thing that has stomped me with Gaia is when I remove details and want to add some details in a small area. Like if i make a mistake. Does GAIA let me spawn grass in just a certain area of the map?
    I think Unity Terrain tool only lets me do one type of grass at a time right?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  26. Akshara

Akshara

Yeah, I really love the asset, its developer, the features, performance and price (even paid $40 for it originally); and yet, the visuals of the sky and the atmosphere just can't compare to Azure[SKY]. Wish I had the skill to combine the two, as both are exceptional assets.

In all fairness though, I've yet to see a weather asset which looks as beautiful as Azure.

Mark_01, AdamGoodrich and magique like this.
  27. Shadowing

Shadowing

I don't understand why my water looks like this from a distance. Pretty sure it didn't earlier today when I added it.

28. Shadowing

Shadowing

So i ran into this issue tonight and its driving me insane.

When I paint some textures on the terrain they are black
    has anyone run into this issue before?

Picture below

29. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Only time i have seen this b4 is with CTS where a splat that has been painted into the terrain and its not in CTS... and because the terrain has it and CTS doesn't it gets painted in black. The fix in that scenario is to bake your textures again, and then hit Apply on the profile.

Never seen that on normal terrain though.

30. Shadowing

Shadowing

Oh thanks so much Adam. Ya im using CTS thats probably the issue.
    I was really freaking out lol.

31. Shadowing

Shadowing

Ok you are definitely right about it being CTS. Glad that I have a source now lol.
    Those steps you provided didn't fix it for me though.
    Infact it made it much worse lol. Now there is massive black all over the place.

So I click on the CTS profile hit bake textures and then apply profile?

I also tried Bake Textures, Bake Terrains and then apply profile.

With out being in the profile just on the CTS component i hit bake normalmap and Bake colorMap and hit apply Proflie on the profile.

Edit: im gonna create a new topic in the CTS thread since its not GAIA related. Even though i never thought it was lol. I just figure someone here would now what was going on. :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  32. Shadowing

Shadowing

I noticed when im messing with Texture Spawner.

I had two types of rock spawns
    Rock Texture 1
    Rock Texture 2

I wanted to switch these two around.
    So for Rock Texture 1 i changed Selected Resource type to Rock Texture 2 and then then changed the other as well.

When I hit Spawn at the bottom a thing poped up saying these resources havn't been added yet. forgot the exact message.

I'm assuming it meant those textures weren't in my texture list on my terrain component? They were though.

After it did the spawn process the generator didn't flip those textures around.
    Id assume it would put texture 1 where 2 was at and 2 where 1 was at.

This is how my terrain looks now

When I switch the rocks around it looks like this

and this is how I had it looking yesterday. Which is what I'm trying to do now.

The spawn rules stay the same im just switching the texture out. I don't understand why its not covering the top of my mountains with the white looking rock instead?

Edit:
    Dang when I hit Visualize I get this spam like crazy in the console
    Code (csharp):
    2. ArgumentException: GUILayout: Mismatched LayoutGroup.Repaint
    3. UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type layoutType) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:301)
    4. UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginVertical (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayout.cs:333)
    5. UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginVertical (System.String text, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayout.cs:326)
    6. Gaia.ResourceVisualiserEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/ResourceVisualiserEditor.cs:203)
    7. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1253)
    8. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    9. [/B]

I'm on the newest version of Gaia using Unity 2017.4.10 f1

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  33. zenGarden

zenGarden

I agree Gaia price should have been 60$ minimum.
    Gaia 2 will be a new version, better, it should be a separate product , with significant additions and features it should be higher price.
    It's not right people getting things for free when the author puts lot of work in it.

For support, why not making two different types of support :
    - a regular and free support for Gaia bugs
    - One year 20$ subscription, you get Gaia and premium support : explaining to users how to use Gaia or how to resolve some particular issue they got.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  34. twobob

twobob

Pretty sure that is just a warning, Happens on a few things - not just gaia
    see here https://forum.unity.com/threads/une...-or-a-miss-understanding.158375/#post-3464133
    Shouldn't kill anything IIRC

35. koirat

koirat

I don't think he should keep Gaia 1 as a separate product. It is a bad idea in many ways.
    Gaia 2 should replace Gaia 1.

Monthly subscription is a bad idea. Until it is a subscription for premium support, naturally only for people who want premium subscription.

Gaia 2 can be full price, he could make an exception for people who bought Gaia 1 relatively recently and provide free/cheaper upgrade. (To suppress the outrage :) )

I do not have Gaia 1 or 2 I'm willing to pay full price for Gaia 2 if it will have run time capabilities.

36. Razmot

Razmot

Regarding the poll, maybe free for 2.0 and upgrade for 2.2 or something like that? I personally purchased the v1 without needing it, just because it was advertised as a free path to v2.

37. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Hey @AdamGoodrich - I got here too late to vote in the poll. I would be willing to pay 15 dollars for Gaia 2 to accelerate development :)

Mark_01 and AdamGoodrich like this.
  38. S4G4N

S4G4N

camta005 and AdamGoodrich like this.
  39. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

To close off the discussion on updates / subscriptions etc.

Gaia 2 / Pro / Whatever we call it will have an upgrade fee of $15. This allows us to hire and devote paid resources to it - and it means it will be launched substantially sooner.

We will not be pursuing subscription fees. We may offer that as an alternative at some point in the future but its not something that we think will be popular so its not something we are considering any more.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Olander and Mark_01 like this.
  40. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

SALE SALE SALE!!!

All Procedural Worlds Assets Are on Sale - Including our recent SECTR acquisition!!

Plus - to sweeten the deal - we also have a stellar bunch of updates!!

Gaia v1.8.0 update is live:
    • Added Mac 16 bit raw import
    • Added 8 bit raw file import
    • U2018 related fixes due to changed API's related to spawning prefabs
    • Turned off automatic lightmap baking when creating news scenes
    • Improvement to bounds based collision checking
    • Added Terrain Utilities to Main menu to highlight it
    • Reorganised More menus to make them more understandable
    • Minor usability tweaks
    GeNa 2.0 Upgrade is live ($20 for purchases > 90 days ago, free otherwise):
    • Paintbrush painting mode
    • New layer based spawning system & improvements
    • Vastly improved bounds based collision checking
    • Vastly improved rotation algorithm when doing fences
    • New Min and Max spawn height capability & visualizations
    • Height offset modification for collisions
    • Seamless support for SECTR
    • Preliminary Vegetation Studio support
    • Improved help system
    • Fully 2018.x compatible
    • Better defaults.
    CTS 1.8 update is live:
    • New material & shader caching system
    • Use of material enable materials shared between terrains
    • New cached shader id system to speed up updates
    • Better registration / deregistration system for multitile
    • Component menu workarounds : CTS moved to GameObject menu
    • Terrain now world space instead of vertex space (prelude to mesh blending)
    • Improved terrain normals generation
    • Moves shaders from Resources to Shaders directory to stop excessive compile times . Reorganised texture and profile directories
    • Latest shader updates / amplify bug fixes
    SECTR will be updated in next few days (currently in test)
    • Seamless support for Gaia terrains
    • Seamless support for CTS
    • New suite of Video Tutorials
    With all this new coolness, a bunch of new video tutorials will also come out later this week...

HUMBLE BUNDLE SALE

If you haven't already heard about it then do yourself a favor and check out the amazing Humble Bundle Sale! $15 gets you a bunch of cool games, a set of game dev courses valued at $600, and a whole bunch of premium unity assets.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Mark_01, HeadClot88 and S4G4N like this.
  41. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I'll give my 2 cents on the Gaia 2 update. When I purchased Gaia a year and a half ago, it stated that the update would be included and will include multiple terrains.

And that it was coming soon.

Since it has been so long, I understand that more products had to be released and I have enjoyed them ;), but I have come to accept that Gaia 2 might not come at all.

That being said, I think you should honor your promise, but it could be done in a couple of ways so it doesn't hurt you financially.

• Option 1: Gaia 2 for multiple terrains- pay for early upgrade edition, or Free if you wait a period of time. This gives those of us who are eager a chance to buy in to get it now, and those who can wait will not loose the upgrade and you can keep your promises.
    • Option 2: Gaia 2 free upgrade with features that were promised, Gaia 2 Paid Upgrade, with extra features that were not promised with a small upgrade fee for those who wish to get the new previously unknown features. Gaia 2 Full version can be sold with everything for a new flat rate for new customers. You could always add the new features as time goes on with updates, so you don't have to manage many versions.
    I know you have a business to run, but understand that integrity is a very big issue with your customers. When we spend our money and then an asset drops away or support fails, the outcry is massive.

When a company like yours continues to give support and upgrades to the assets that we already paid for, the loyalty of your customers increases and we see your products pitched by those of us who have purchased. Just as you have seen other assets promoted in your forum, I have seen yours promoted in many others based on quality and support.The biggest thing is the continued support. And I see that all over the forums. But when something happens that leaves a bad taste, the negative response can spread all over the forums. Word of mouth is your best ally, and we all speak highly of your products and service.

I love all of the work that you do and would not like anything bad to be said about any of your products, but the forums can be pretty harsh on products or devs who they feel are not giving proper support for their products.

I have the highest respect for you and your products, please don't let us down. If you do this right, you will remain our hero!:)

DeoSsin, twobob and AdamGoodrich like this.
  42. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thanks for your thoughts. It's an interesting thing and I really wrestled with it a lot before putting it out to the community. There have been many reasons for the slow update, and they have been discussed elsewhere, but the insight I had one day was that maybe the slow progress on Gaia 2 was doing more harm than good.

In terms of supporting the community, far from falling off the 191 pages activity from myself in this forum, the multiple major free releases since its launch three years ago (including another one today), the 45+ tutorials, and the excellent support from day one says exactly the opposite. For anyone concerned - scroll back a few posts to see what else went live today!

So while some people may have a problem with paying a nominal $15 upgrade fee - these same people have been getting updates, cool and never promised improvements such as the terrain utilities module in 1.7 and support from day one. I would hope that they would feel it was a small price to pay to help support me to grow the product in return for the value they are getting.

Additionally, with respect to your comment about integrity, if anyone is truly upset by this, they can contact me privately and I will honor the original commitment.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    DeoSsin, Olander, Mark_01 and 2 others like this.
  43. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

I appreciate your comments. Please don't take any offense to my comments. Since I transferred my art into Unity a couple of years ago, your assets and support have among the best I've seen. My comments were not about you, but just to let you know what I have witnessed with other great assets that once support wavered, the bad press began. Keep up the good work!

As far as receiving updates and improvements, I would hope that all assets get proper support, which includes updates and improvements. But, we all know that most of the time it is a one time purchase and you get what you get. This is the reason that your assets rank high among your customers.

I don't feel you will have a problem what ever you decide, I would just hate to see anything bad happen to your company as we all expect big things from you and continued longevity.

DeoSsin, Mark_01, S4G4N and 1 other person like this.
  44. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

What I have learned is that whatever decision I make, someone somewhere wont like it ;)

45. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

How true.

I'll be there for you. ;)

Mark_01 and AdamGoodrich like this.
  46. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Speaking of other things... here's a sneak preview of more amazing things coming soon!

Click through to the video to learn more about whats happening here :)

47. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

These images are work in progress images from a bunch of new tools coming soon... but whats interesting is that it is a great example of what you can do with Gaia and the rest of our tools.

The terrain was created an textured with Gaia, and the initial rocks and trees were placed. We added CTS to the terrain to make it pop, and then further decorated with assets that we imported from MegaScans using our new MegaPort system and these were placed with GeNa.

Grab_20180827220622_w1463h823_x67y7z97r203.jpg

Grab_20180827221215_w1463h823_x47y4z24r158.jpg

Grab_20180827220913_w1463h823_x77y13z-45r322.jpg

48. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

SALE SALE SALE!!!

All Procedural Worlds Assets Are on Sale for 25% off - Including our recent SECTR acquisition!!

Plus - to sweeten the deal - we also have a stellar bunch of updates!!

Gaia 1.8.0 update is live:
    • Added Mac 16 bit raw import
    • Added 8 bit raw file import
    • U2018 related fixes due to changed API's related to spawning prefabs
    • Turned off automatic lightmap baking when creating news scenes
    • Improvement to bounds based collision checking
    • Added Terrain Utilities to Main menu to highlight it
    • Reorganised More menus to make them more understandable
    • Minor usability tweaks
    GeNa 2.0.0 Upgrade is live ($20 for purchases > 90 days ago, free otherwise):
    • Paintbrush painting mode
    • New layer based spawning system & improvements
    • Vastly improved bounds based collision checking
    • Vastly improved rotation algorithm when doing fences
    • New Min and Max spawn height capability & visualizations
    • Height offset modification for collisions
    • Seamless support for SECTR
    • Preliminary Vegetation Studio support
    • Improved help system
    • Fully 2018.x compatible
    • Better defaults.
    CTS 1.8.0 update is live:
    • New material & shader caching system
    • Use of material enable materials shared between terrains
    • New cached shader id system to speed up updates
    • Better registration / deregistration system for multitile
    • Component menu workarounds : CTS moved to GameObject menu
    • Terrain now world space instead of vertex space (prelude to mesh blending)
    • Improved terrain normals generation
    • Moves shaders from Resources to Shaders directory to stop excessive compile times . Reorganised texture and profile directories
    • Latest shader updates / amplify bug fixes
    SECTR will be updated in next few days (currently in test)
    • Seamless support for Gaia terrains
    • Seamless support for CTS
    • New suite of Video Tutorials
    With all this new coolness, a bunch of new video tutorials will also come out later this week...

HUMBLE BUNDLE SALE

If you haven't already heard about it then do yourself a favor and check out the amazing Humble Bundle Sale! $15 gets you a bunch of cool games, a set of game dev courses valued at $600, and a whole bunch of premium unity assets.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  49. Rhadiel

Rhadiel

Hi,
    I have recently bought Gaia via the HumbleBundle - what a great generator!

One issue I am facing now is that all the farms and villages do not spawn at all, after many attempts. All their position is 0,0,0 and going into the spawner, all have Instances Spawned: 0.

I am running latest Unity.

Thaks!

50. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

You need a relatively flat environment to spawn them. The empty ones are place holders for Gaia to spawn into.

Rhadiel likes this.