Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. serberusno1

serberusno1

Really hoping someone here can help with this problem cos it's frustrating the hell out of me. I just started working with Gaia and I'm getting this crazy collider problem. I'm also using Edy's vehicle physics and I seem to be running into collider geo that just shouldn't be there- you can see it when I'm driving along the road, the car just hops up all the time or even ends up getting stuck see-sawing on geo sometimes. I'm using easy roads 3D for the road network but I've been getting this error since before I even added any roads. Edy's vehicle physics also worked flawlessly for me in the demo scenes provided so I'm not sure where I'm going wrong here. Anybody see this before?

2. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hmmm... looks like you spawned something and manually deleted it - often trees - but could have been something else.

Gaia will add mesh colliders to things to stop it spawning on top of it in the future. Click on each spawner and any colliders associated with it will show. Either reset that spawner or manually delete the colliders - they are parented to an appropriately named child object.

Failing that then its something else :)

3. serberusno1

serberusno1

So I thought I created the terrain without any trees or other spawned items. I most definitely didn't manually click on and delete anything. And I can't find anything in the heirarchy that would suggest there is anything else in the scene that I cannot see

4. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

In that case it would seem your issue is coming from something else. Gaia just spits out vanilla Unity terrain.

Another idea for you - select everything in your hierarchy - if something is dropping a hidden collider there then hopefully this will highlight it for you.

5. serberusno1

serberusno1

Someone on another forum suggest I try using the physics debugger view and it's showing what is most definitely the problem. Any idea how to fix this? TerrainCollider_01.jpg

6. serberusno1

serberusno1

I feel like I now created my terrain incorrectly- It seems to be made of a plane but shouldn't it be a solid object with volume?

7. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Never seen the issue before. Terrain has a terrain collider - try deleting and re-adding. Backup your project first.

8. serberusno1

serberusno1

If I delete this terrain collider data how do I re-generate it?

9. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Dont know - i suspect you just re-add it.

10. tetetete

tetetete

Is it possiblet o use gaia to create terrain that is different every single time and look nothing alike the previous iterations?

11. SirTwistedStorm

SirTwistedStorm

yes...

12. tetetete

tetetete

I should elaborate, i meant that i want player to have different world every time he presses "new game"

13. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Gaia can do runtime spawning, but its not officially supported. Check out runtimestamper.cs.

CrandellWS likes this.
  14. Shadowing

Shadowing

Anyone have list of sites that sells ground textures?
    I'm looking for desert sand that has ton of foot prints on it. So we'll traveled desert sand.

15. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

Just from the top of my head:

gametextures.com (Note they have a "hidden" free account with 3 downloads per month at https://www.gametextures.com/free/)
    textures.com, free membership to download 15 low-res (1024x1024) textures per day, so you can use those / try some of them before you buy.
    imageafter.com only free CC0 licensed stuff, the quality is mixed and you will need to put in some work to make textures seamless etc.
    https://shop.bitgem3d.com/collections/textures - handpainted style

Gametyme and AdamGoodrich like this.
  16. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

17. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Wow - 900 ratings with an average of 5 stars - thank you so much everyone - and @Mark_01 - you were the 900th - thanks mate :)

18. Mark_01

Mark_01

Your very welcome Adam, I just saw your post and went back ..
    and found a typo or two that I missed and made some grammar
    changes for the better :D

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    AdamGoodrich likes this.
  19. alpezaxxx

alpezaxxx

Gaia support dx 10 graphic card ?

20. alpezaxxx

alpezaxxx

i bought gaia !! im very happy :)

21. FungusMonkey

FungusMonkey

HI. I have been trying to create my own points of interest spawners which I am having some success. An Issue I am having is I have added box colliders to doors along with scripts to open and close doors but when I spawn the buildings, the doors and I imagine any other things I have or will add these to do not spawn with scripts or colliders. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  22. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

Hmm, this should normally not happen, I have various prefabs with all kinds of purposes (Items, buildings...) being spawned by Gaia, with colliders and scripts attached, and I never ran into that issue. From my experience the objects that you spawn are 1:1 the same as the prefab that you provide in the Gaia resource settings.

Two half-suggestions:
    • Could it be that the buildings / doors are depending on some Editor script to be called that will then in turn add the colliders and additional scripts? (I imagine some dynamic prefab that creates a randomized building with windows and doors etc. when you drag & drop it into the scene). In that case you would need to find out how the Editor script works so you can trigger it after spawning.
    • Can you replicate the issue in a new scene with a neutral test prefab? (spawn a simple cube with collider & script attached)

FungusMonkey likes this.
  23. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yes. Gaia just creates Unity terrain, there are no custom shaders or any other non standard things in Gaia.

24. Tempografix

Tempografix

Hello! I am new to Gaia and it will surely be a stupid question. But I am not able to find someone who talks about the best way to create a terrain of about 5 km. I see that by default the size is 2 km (Like the Terrain).

What is the best way in Gaia to achieve this? Do I duplicate the terrain 4 times or change the resolution to 4096?

Thank you!!

25. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

You can increase the terrain width and length in the terrain resolution settings to 5000.

You should then check the other terrain resolution (heightmap/detail, etc.) settings as well and increase them if needed. The resolution settings and their meaning are explained in the Unity Terrain Manual.

If you run into problems because the height / detail / splatmap resolution is not precise enough now, you could in theory create multiple smaller terrains and put them next to each other for one mega-terrain. This creates a lot of other issues though that need to be solved then, so it would probably be easier if you can make it work with a single terrain.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  26. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/tutorials/how-to-change-the-settings-for-terrains/

Take a look around while you are there - there are a lot of tutorials.

27. iManolo

iManolo

EDIT: Apologies, I just realized that I have accessed with two different accounts. The previous one was the one I use at work: D. But I'm Tempografix. The same as before. Sorry.

Hello again!! Thanks for de reply.
    I did it that way on the Unity terrain. I found the problem when I saw that I could not increase the Base map distance. Its limit is 2000. So part of the terrain was completely white in the distance. But I do not know if in Gaia that limit exists or I can increase its size without problems. I need something like 5-8 kms more or less.

Anyway, I'm looking at all the tutorials, so I'll learn how to use the tool correctly and I'll find all the answers that I need.

A greeting!

Thanks!!

28. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

29. Duffer123

Duffer123

@AdamGoodrich ,

Just checking in. Any ETA yet for V2 or maybe just the GPU speed enhancements? Or tasters?

Also, thinking you may want to change closing paragraph on the Asset store re ''FREE'? Also, anything further on upgrade pricing?

30. cRUSh75

cRUSh75

Apart from Gaia 2, which I cannot await to be released. I'm currently struggling with Gaia 1 a bit. I updated to the Post Processing Stack V2, but I cannot find much information about it with Gaia. I currently only was able to find out, that Gaia in general supports the v2 stack as well? Of course, the scene is still running, but I cannot add the camera effects anymore because Gaia just looks for the V1 version. I presume that this needs to be done manually then, or am I missing something?

31. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

Any post processing effect should be working together with Gaia as long as it works with Unity default terrains. The V2 stack is still in development at the moment, I don't know if it will still be integrated into Gaia 1 when it is released. But you should be able to add it to your project manually if you follow the installation instructions from the quickstart guide.

32. cRUSh75

cRUSh75

Thanks. Yes, that's what I did meanwhile. I restored all values from the PPS V1 profile to the PPS V2, as far as possible and it's working without major issues.

33. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

I have a couple of questions before I buy this. I am looking for some immersive environments for a VR project that I am working on. In particular, one of the environments that I want is a tropical beach with rocky outcroppings. I was thinking of purchasing Gaia, Aquas, Enviro, and Blackwoods coastal area. Will this cover what I need or will I need more vegatation, rock, or texture assets? I have a credit for a bunch of Substance Source texture assets if that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

34. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yeap - its difficult to support something that's not released... but I find myself using v2 more and more as well.

Hmm... yeap ... I have changed my thinking a lot over the past few months. I will be revealing some new stuff very soon, and its so powerful that I want to plug Gaia into it.. but am not sure how to handle that just yet. When I have something to announce I will do so :)

cRUSh75 and Duffer123 like this.
  35. Duffer123

Duffer123

36. wolfen231

wolfen231

He can be such a tease.

Duffer123 likes this.
  37. bugaj

bugaj

I have a problem, Im using Gaia to create my terrain. I have spawned textures, and created height map. Im using CTS as a terrain shader. Right now i have added custom detail textures(grass billboards) to gaia resources by clicking <<get resources from terrain>> in resources controller. my only Spawn criteria is to check if there is texture 3, and noise. After spawning billboards show for a second and the dissapear completely with no console log.
    Detail Spawner show me it have spawned 34054 instances, visualizer is showing me where grass should appear. grass appears normaly if i paint it by hand using default unity tools

38. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

Hmm, that is weird, I use grass spawning with Gaia a lot, and never ran into that issue. Some half-baked ideas to track the problem down:
    • Can you double check the settings for grass size & transparency in the Unity Terrain Detail settings and the Gaia resource settings?
    • Can you check if you can see the missing grass billboards in wireframe mode in the scene viewport?
    • Do you overwrite the default Unity grass shaders with your own shader?
    • Can you double check if the terrain has its own Terrain Data object? (If you duplicated the terrain earlier it might still use the terrain data object of the original terrain, which could lead to problems)
    • Can you rule out terrain detail drawing distance?
    • Can you check/lower the "detail resolution per patch" setting in the terrain inspector? (Normally you should get warning messages in the console though if you need to lower that value)
    • Do you see the plants spawned by Gaia if you uncheck "Billboard" in the "Edit Grass Texture" settings in the terrain component?
    • Does the problem still occur if you remove all grass from the terrain, add a new grass billboard in your gaia resources, and spawn it? Gaia should give you a prompt that it will add the texture to your terrain details then.

39. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

I have Gaia since quite some time, but never used it until recently, and I have to say that it is really a nice way to make terrains.

The only thing that I find hard to deal with are the various rules and how they influence the terrain. Went both for the stamp way and for the total randomized solution, but neither seems to be totally transparent about what something does.

For example, tried to make a terrain mostly flat; with a small lake and surrounded by mountains. With stampers it did take me quite some time to do that; and once done, I did spend a lot of time in modifying by hand the terrain, to make it look more realistic, because the stamps would create very smooth mountains and hills. Pretty sure I did it wrong, but there is no way for me to figure it out, since the only info I get are from online videos.

With the random terrains, I did get awesome variations, but no luck in actually making the above mentioned scene. I did set high values for different parameters, but the results did all look quite similar; to the point where I started to think that I have to change the seed, although I do not have the documentation handy so can't even say what is the effect of these parameters. If I could suggest a change, that would probably be a more "user friendly" UI for the various options.

Overall very happy; pretty sure that once I figure out how everything works, it will be faster to make terrains. I can make nice maps but if I want to make a map exactly like I envision it, Gaia is not really speeding up much my workflow, compared to working with the standard terrain tools (although I get a boost when adding props and grass for example).

One thing that make me curious, is if there are plans to make a similar asset to Gaia, but oriented ore at urban areas. Creating a procedural city with roads and environment around it, would be as nice as having Gaia taking care of "natural" maps. In particular, would be awesome to have Gaia extensions taht once built the terrain, add roads, buildings connected by roads and a sort of generic city layout. I did use years ago a software called City Generator, so I think that sooner or later, someone will actually introduce something similar for Unity.

Looking forward to the next updates in Gaia; keep up the good work.

OneManBandGames likes this.
  40. bugaj

bugaj

I think the problem was that unity was unable to create new splatmaps, so I googled it.
    And what i ended up doing is: i have enable read/write option on all of the textures I use for the terrain, then i have deleted old terrain prefab, duplicated terrain data asset then load it into the scene. It helped. But when i oppened unity today i noticed my details and trees are all gone again. So I have started to spawn them again. It worked. Then i tweaked a bit and opened visualiser. Now i can see details i spawned initialy today, but when I spawn new ones they appear among the old ones for a second then dissapear. So I've tried to use Clear Details option in Spawner Game Object. OLD Details disapear for a second then apear again.... So Im stuck with them i quess. I asked my programmers if they did something to terrain system, they said no.

So I've tried your pointers.
    1. Ive checked and set them up to be excatly the same
    2. No
    3.Dont know how to do that
    4. Yes it have, but it only have one splat map
    5. yes
    6. I did it didnt helped
    7. No i only see old details i have initially spawned
    8. It helped yesterday when i redid my terrain, but today i run into similar issue, as described above

41. bugaj

bugaj

Strange, Issue seems to be connected to Visualiser, when i have deleted it, everything seems to work fine again

42. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

With that info & the stuff you tested according to my pointers, it seems like this could be a bug in the Visualiser. Now that you mention it I remember that I had a similar thing happening once as well, every time I selected the Visualiser it would revert some changes on the terrain I made before (not sure anymore if it was textures or terrain details that got reverted.) The issue did not matter to me at that moment and I was not able to reproduce it later, so I already forgot about it again.

Good to hear the issue is gone for now, I'd suggest to keep a close eye on the visualiser if you use it again & then maybe open a support request at Procedural Worlds if it hits you again.

bugaj likes this.
  43. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Funny you should ask... some very cool announcements coming soon :)

44. Duffer123

Duffer123

Whhhhennnnnnnn???? o_O

45. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Ok.. in the spirit of putting annoyingly vague and non specific hints out there...

If you happen to be going to GDC 2018, then make sure you take the time to watch the Google Maps presentation here - it will be well worth your time ;)

https://developers.google.com/maps/gaming/#gdc

46. Duffer123

Duffer123

Not World Composer then... ;)

47. sarum

sarum

thanks for the link :)

"Create completely custom environments by turning Google Maps features into native Unity game objects"

sounds fun

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  48. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

If there is a way to do a Gaia map with integration in a urban environment I think I have found the definitive procedural tool :) Going to watch the video now!

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  49. camta005

camta005

Very interesting, here is a link to the presentation that includes the content by Adam:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  50. shotoutgames

shotoutgames

Tried Gaia with unity 2018 and I get pink terrain. I noticed that unity default terrain uses a different material???