Search Unity

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

?

Would you pay an upgrade fee for Gaia 2 so that we can hire to accelerate its development?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2018.
  1. Yeah super cool - I would pay a $15 upgrade fee to get it faster!

83 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. No way - you promised free and i am happy to wait!

20 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

You mean it's not supposed to reset the rotation values when you change the other values?

I always figured that perhaps there was some design reason why it needed to reset the rotation. It's always worked that way for me, as far as I can remember. Across many versions of Unity.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    jlocke and AndersMalmgren like this.
  2. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Its not consistent when it resets the rotation either. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.

3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

@AdamGoodrich I guess you view the Session operations as a event stream (Like the aggregatet events in a event sourcing designed application). And thus they should not change order. But since you can delete them, which goes against the event stream paradigm I think it would make sense to be able to move them up and down the stack too..

It can be helpful if you choose to lower a region using lower high stamp but want to keep some thing as is. Then you create the lowering stamp and move it before the stuff you do not want to change.

This code seems to work

Code (CSharp):
    1.                         GUILayout.BeginHorizontal();
    2.                         GUILayout.FlexibleSpace();
    4.                         var lastIndex = opIdx - 1;
    6.                         if(lastIndex < 0)
    7.                             GUI.enabled = false;
    9.                         if (GUILayout.Button("Move Up"))
    10.                         {
    11.                                 var last = m_manager.m_session.m_operations[lastIndex];
    12.                                 m_manager.m_session.m_operations[lastIndex] = op;
    13.                                 m_manager.m_session.m_operations[opIdx] = last;
    14.                                 m_manager.SaveSession();
    16.                         }
    18.                         var nextIndex = opIdx + 1;
    20.                         GUI.enabled = true;
    21.                         if (nextIndex == m_manager.m_session.m_operations.Count)
    22.                             GUI.enabled = false;
    24.                         if (GUILayout.Button("Move Down"))
    25.                         {
    26.                             var next = m_manager.m_session.m_operations[nextIndex];
    27.                             m_manager.m_session.m_operations[nextIndex] = op;
    28.                             m_manager.m_session.m_operations[opIdx] = next;
    29.                             m_manager.SaveSession();
    30.                         }
    32.                         GUI.enabled = true;
    34.                         GUILayout.EndHorizontal();

4. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I watched your video and understand what is going on - Gaia is behaving as designed.

You stamp using a texture mask - and get a certain result. Then you change the texture mask (you painted it out), and got a different result. Because the stamper has different inputs, it gets different outputs.

I understand what you are trying to achieve - but while Gaia serializes the state of the stamper - it does not serialize the state of the texture splats that are affecting it in your use case, so it will never do what you are trying to do. An alternative would be to export the mask as a texture and use that instead.

I think this is a nice idea, and with Gaia 2 inherently being multi tile in nature, I will make sure that dependent objects are matched with the terrain.

Mark_01 likes this.
  5. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

They are just a serialized set of steps that you can switch on or off as you please. The use case I was looking to handle was to regenerate the same environment from the same starting point. I added in the switch on and off so that you could explore without losing your work.

The session manager was actually a lot of work to develop - i had to deal with things from serialization of custom object types - to serialisation of unity types - to location and reconnection with assets that may or may not be in your project - but in the end I think that the effort was well worth it.

At moment busy focusing on what will become v2 - and as part of v2 I will explore the concept further :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  6. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Doesnt this basically render the terrain texture mask useless? I mean, a session must be able to play infinite amount of times during development of a game? The downside of a image mask is that its much harder to align correctly since its created in a seperate paint tool, they are really cool though for painting terrain under POI objects like in the demo. In gaia 2 please consider to serialize the mask data and also let you use the texture mask even for rotated and translated stamps (In Gaia 1 it will give you a warning and does not work properly when you translate/rotate stamp and using terrain texture mask)

Nice! Sounds perfect!

7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Cool I can use the code above in the meantime, just don't like editing vendor scripts ;)

8. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Um nope. It does the job admirably as you have demonstrated.

9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Yeah but since you cant keep the texture mask on the terrain for the next time the session plays it will be useless? Or am I missing something how its meant to be used?

Let's say you mask the terrain for stamp #1, stamp it. All is fine. Remove that mask and mask the terrain for stamp #2. All is fine.

You flatten terrain and replay the session. All is not so fine

10. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Is it safe to lower the terrain resulotion to an existing session or are the stamps in the session somehow dependent on the selected terrain resulotion?

11. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I wanted to share this, one of our play testers captured it. Our first map with sniper distances all thanks to Gaia, we are not close to production worthyness by far, but its so cool to see these open world in our game

12. Shadowing

Shadowing

I'm having that issue again where there are green squares in my trees again. I Regenerate Materials on all the trees again and it didn't fix it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  13. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Chances are you have two copies of the trees in your scene - follow the link from the terrain object itself to the correct one - failing that - its a unity bug :(

14. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

If anyone has been on the fence about any of my products - DevDog is doing a massive christmas giveaway and there are 5 copies of each of my products available as giveaways if you sign up today!!

http://christmas.devdog.io/

Shawn67 likes this.
  15. camta005

camta005

My guess is that it's being caused by ambient occlusion post processing. Make sure your camera is setup for deferred rendering as both v1 and v2 of the Post Processing Stack have issues with forward rendering and speedtrees. If you are using Post Processing Stack v1, then you need to check the Ambient Only (Deferred + HDR) option, although this makes the ambient occlusion effect much less pronounced. It's better to use Post Processing Stack v2 where the problem has been fixed, at least in deferred rendering.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  16. Shadowing

Shadowing

I honestly don't know what versions im using. I'm just using what ever comes with Unity as default.
    Is there a link to download version 2? I don't use forward rendering.

17. camta005

camta005

18. Shadowing

Shadowing

Thanks for the replies Camta005.
    I downloaded that. No idea how to even use it lol. Can't make heads or tales out of it. Comes with no documentation.
    Tried draging components from it into my Game Object with my camera but it wouldn't accept it so idk.
    I removed the two components I was even using on my camera which was Bloom and Antialiasing.

Only component i could get to work was Post Processing Behavior Script. Which has no settings other then profile.
    so im guessing I need to use that then select the only profile that exists and use that as my starter profile. Control D if i need to create others. I moved options around and doesn't seem to make any difference. Then I hit play thinking maybe options only work while in play mode and it looks like this.

This is with all post effects disabled. I disabled them after already in playmode though.
    Either way doubt this has anything to do with my tree issue since I wasn't using any effect like you was suggusting.

Here is a video showing my tree issue. Which is much more then just a solid block green issue

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  19. Quique-Martinez

Quique-Martinez

You have to rebulid speed tree materials

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  20. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep - textbook case - instructions in how to regenerate materials are in the quickstart guide.

21. Shadowing

Shadowing

I did regenerate materials and it didn't fix it. But yes that's how I fixed it in the past.

Edit. Oh I missed your comment about maybe possible double tree copies. I'll check that out

22. wwg

wwg

@tapticc - Did you (or anyone else) find a solution to this problem? I've got the same problem using the latest version of Gaia and Unity 5.6.3f1 on Windows 10.

23. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

This only happens when targeting windows store apps.

Gaia makes extensive use of serialization so it is not an easy fix - and I am redoing this completely in Gaia 2.

The workaround is tedious but works well enough. Export your Gaia/ Scripts directory to make a package from it - it will be tiny - and will export quickly.

Then delete the Gaia / Scripts directory and make your build.

When you need to work with Gaia again just re-import the scripts and you are good to go. Being just scripts this will only take you a few seconds to do.

24. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Merry Christmas everyone!!

I will be taking this week off so support will be sporadic!

Mark_01 and sarum like this.
  25. Shadowing

Shadowing

Ahh Gaia 2? Is there anywhere where you have a list of what Gaia 2 will all have?
    Hopefully road building. I stress that a lot that gaia needs road building. I know the response to this will be Gaia can do roads but its not a a easy enough solution. I've bought a road asset im gonna try out that looks pretty nice That I havent tried out yet.
    Look at this asset caleld Easyroads3d Pro
    This is what I feel Gaia needs in it. Really should be part of Gaia too. Roads is really part of terrains. Honestly terrain is not finish with out roads. 90% of maps needs roads or path ways. This method should be used for rivers too.

Watch this guys youtube video on how his asset works. Idk how well it works yet but I think this is how it should be.
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/easyroads3d-pro-469

26. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I don't know if roads needs to be part of Gaia but a path system with nodes to create paths for canyons, rivers and platues would be very helpful.

eaque likes this.
  27. Shadowing

Shadowing

Oh ya I forgot about Canyons. Also needed. If you can do roads then u could do rivers and canyons too. It would be the same stuff.

28. Tarball

Tarball

Has anyone made a guide for using Gaia + CTS + Vegetation Studio? I can't seem to make them all play well together in 2017.3.0f3. It's quite confusing.

Edit: Nevermind, I got them to cooperate, and it's great! I'm not sure what I did yesterday to cause the crashes.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  29. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Hi,

Will there be a skymaster, infinigrass/infinitree extension into Gaia anytime soon? Thank you!

Cheers!
    Xalo

30. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Not unless the author shows an interest. I contacted him ages ago and he never came back to me.

Mark_01 likes this.
  31. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

32. Shawn67

Shawn67

Adam pretty much built an API where any asset author can build an integration for Gaia if they want to do so. I think probably the best way to get more assets to have Gaia GX integrations would be for more of the people using their assets to express interest to the asset authors. If a lot of their customers ask for it, it may prompt more into looking into and adding the integrations.

AdamGoodrich, Quast and Mark_01 like this.
  33. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

For those that are interested, creating extensions is generally a 10 minute process, and can add a ton of usability to the end result. Details here:

http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/gaia-extensions/how-to-create-a-gaia-extension/

Mark_01 and Shawn67 like this.
  34. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Happy New Year !!!

Well its the new year.. and after taking the first week off in several years I am at my computer again and am super pumped to be able to spend another year doing cool things with this amazing community!

I have been working towards a vision of mine for about eight years now (unity is just one part of it), and technology has finally caught up to my where my head is at, so in 2018 I am going all out to deliver on it and you will see significant change.

As part of this process the time is finally right to grow the company and I have hired an incredibly talented COO to help me to take it to the next level. We will start the year by delivering some minor updates to existing products before heading on to the much bigger developments we have in mind.

With the change in direction of the company there will also be a change in direction for Gaia 2. The good news is that I will take Gaia 2 to a whole new level of unannounced capability, and the bad news is that supporting a much larger vision requires re-work and this will take time.

So thanks everyone for your continued patience and support, it's because of you that I get to do this, and 2018 is going to be an absolute cracker!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  35. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

How do you paint manually with gaia? I know about the spawner extensions that let you stamp terrain textures with spawned game objects. But I cant let Gaia random place my buildings etc. How can i paint terrain for manual objects and not lose the work when replaying seesion?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  36. camta005

camta005

Glad to read you are pumped after your break, although 1 week off every few years does seem a bit excessive lol :p

Any hints as to what the "change in direction for Gaia 2" entails?

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  37. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hmm... if you want something replicable in a session then move your spawners around and change their range. GeNa is the best tool for this as it gives complete control, but GeNa does not push its output into the session (this would be a super cool idea though :)).

Yep - I was getting burned out.

I was very open with my ideas in the Gaia 2 beta and this was taken advantage of so as a result I will no longer be sharing my ideas until they are ready to drop onto the asset store.

What I can say is that I will deliver on my promise of a free upgrade to Gaia 2 for Gaia 1 customers, and of course multi tile will be in there as well as some dramatic performance improvements.

There is a bunch more in the pipeline that will come in the form of separate modules that can be purchased, and that will drop nicely on top of the core product. I will announce these as and when they are ready to drop.

I guess the takeout is that Gaia has a huge development commitment sitting behind it and should be an interesting space to watch :)

38. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Here are some examples what I want todo. Make this hiking trail more natural looking with tracks in the sands etc

upload_2018-1-2_13-50-21.png

After 50 years of service this gasstation probablt has alot of old car tracks around the pumps
    upload_2018-1-2_13-51-33.png

Is the only way currently with Gaia 1 to do it manually and lose the work if you reply the session?

39. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

You could do this via custom code and Gaia extensions. If you look at the village spawners you can see a sample of how to do this.

40. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

Some ideas:

For tire tracks you could create multiple "roads" with Easy Roads but use a transparent "tire track pattern" texture. In this way the tire tracks would survive Gaia generation and you can freely arrange and modify the tire tracks until they look good. Can fade them out at the beginning / end as well.

Did you use Easy Roads to create that hiking trail? If yes, you could use the "Add Shape To Terrain Splatmap" setting to spawn a different texture along the path when building the terrain with Easy Roads.

If you want to spawn different textures around the gas station, you could give the gas station assets a specific tag and create a spawn rule that checks for proximity to this tag. This might not be satisfying though because iirc this will spawn the textures in a radius from the center of the object, so you will end up with multiple very obvious circles around the tagged objects.
    To get around this, you could place multiple invisible texture spawning colliders so that the circle shapes are less obvious, or you could create a spawning extension that spawns the textures just as you need them.

I made an extensions that spawns textures in proximity to (convex) colliders, so I can have a different texture on the ground along the edge of buildings.
    Working on another to spawn textures between two or more markers on the map to simulate a "worn out path" on grass, but not 100% happy with that one yet.

AdamGoodrich and AndersMalmgren like this.
  41. jlocke

jlocke

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  42. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I have looked at those, but it seems they require a gaia spawned POI to operate? This is a manual object

43. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

nice, will look into the tag option, missed that.. I spend all time coding our core mechanics, so little time to code extensions. But I have some neat ones :D

Thansk about the tip for the trail. its created with easy roads so will look into that.

44. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

Hi all, I ran into a problem with Gaia resources and biomes for which I found only a solution that I'm not 100% happy with, so I wanted to ask here in the hope someone knows a better way to handle this:

In my game I plan to have different biomes, such as farmland, forest, desert, etc. So far I have kept all Gaia resources in separate Gaia resource files: "farm_resources", "forest_resources", and so on. Now I looked into terrains that would transition from one biome into another, for example: "forest turning into farmland". I managed to do this by combining both my forest and my farm spawners, but applying a gradient area mask to both of them, so the forest textures etc. are fading out along the X-axis, while the farmland stuff is fading in while spawning.
    My problem is now that I have plants (terrain details) set up for each biome to spawn on certain textures. In the Gaia resource file I can set up that this terrain detail A is supposed to spawn on the texture index 2, detail B on the texture index 5, and so on.
    With both different biomes adding textures to the terrain, the texture index is different in the transition terrain vs. the "pure" biome terrain, since the target texture for detail A will not necessarily have the index 2 anymore. Therefore the plants will spawn on the wrong textures.

I can fix this by creating extra "transition" Gaia resource files like "farm2forest_resources" where I copy over all resources from farm_resources and forest_resources and then adjust the indices in the spawn criteria accordingly for the combined file. But this would mean every time I want to make a change in a resource, I must take care to carry this change over to X transition resource files as well, which I like to avoid. Can anyone think of a better way to handle this problem?
    If I combine all resources into a single file I would still end up with the same problem, since the transition terrains would pull a different amount / order of textures than the "pure biome" terrains would and the texture index would still be different between those two terrains.

If no one has a better idea I think I will try to create some "resource file merge script" that will take care of copying two resource files together to a transition file & fixing the indices for texture based spawning accordingly.

45. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hmmm... great that you are embracing the power and flexibility that Gaia provides, and i really like the way you have componentized the biomes, but annoying that you are running into this issue. The use case you are describing is not one that I ever anticipated.

If you want to reach out privately I will offer some suggestions.

OneManBandGames likes this.
  46. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

Thanks for the reply and no worries, overall I'm still happy that the transition between the biomes works in general and was far easier to do than I first anticipated thanks to the area masks.

I will send you a conversation on the forums, thanks for the offer!

47. Mystiq

Mystiq

I've been using Gaia for a few weeks now and find myself trying to use it to fill out a cave. Mostly the spawners, as the stamps would be pointless.

In any case a few things:

1) One of the things I'd like to get Gaia to do for me is place down torches. I would love to be able to tell Gaia to respect a minimum distance (so I can basically spam the Spawn button and it'll go until it literally runs out of space). But, I can't get Proximity Check doesn't seem to respect my wishes: tag set, distance of 100-2000, with a fitness slope all equal to 1. With this, it refuses to spawn anything. Am I doing wrong or is that not what's it intended for? The visualizer would perhaps be a little misleading with this, but hey.

2) Placing vines. Vines go on walls, so the slope check is 50-90 but this means the "Rotate to Slope" feature will make them stick straight out. Any way I can get them to rotate by "90 - slope" instead of "= slope"? A rotate to slope offset would help here.

3) If I set the min/max instances to the same very high number, should one press of Spawn try to place until it basically runs out of valid room? Meaning, hitting the Spawn button again would refuse to spawn any more. This only works well if you have a minimum distance, otherwise, as I've found out, it locks Unity up hardcore.

[Edit]

Discovered extensions. Created an extension for #1. Seems to work as expected. At the same time, I figured out what #3 is meant to do. :) I'll make an extension for #2 later.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  48. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

Sounds like you are on the right path, regarding your issues:

1) This should work as you intend it to. If there is nothing spawning at all, it sounds to me like there could be a collision layer issue. Can you check on what layer the colliders of the tagged objects reside, and what colliders layers are used for the collision check in the spawner / visualiser (there is a setting for that somewhere in the components).
    If that does not help, set up an empty spawning rule that is just "Active", nothing else. The visualiser should be all green then, since it should spawn everywhere. Then put in the settings you want one by one and check in the visualiser which setting is the one that "ruins it".

2) How are your vine models set up? I assume they are designed to go on a wall and therefore are already aligned vertically so the designer can place them directly. So the default "contact zone" of the asset with the game world is on a vertical axis. The problem is that by Gaia logic the default "contact zone" is horizontal and at the bottom of the model. Think of a table that is normally standing on the ground, and when Gaia spawns it on a slope, it can rotate it slightly so that the table is aligned with the slope. At a slope of 90 degrees it would create a "table standing on the wall". Your vines are probably in the "table standing on a wall" position at default, and therefore end up sticking out of the wall when Gaia rotates them further.
    So you can either adjust your input model in such way that the vines are "lying on the floor", or you could create a script that goes over each vine and adjusts the rotation after spawning. An extension does not influence the spawning angle iirc.

3) I do not 100% understand what you are doing with the "spawn until it runs out of valid room" -thing. If you find that you have to run the spawner multiple times until you end up with a satisfying number oft entities, you should be able to adjust this with the spawner settings as well.

If you use

Location Selector = Every Location
    Location Increment = 1

Min Viable Fitness = 0
    Min Failure Rate = 0

Gaia should try to place the entity at every 1 unity unit in your game world, so it should be able to "use all the valid room" according to your rules with one press of the spawn button.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  49. Mystiq

Mystiq

1) I gave up. The extension is easier. "SpawnMinimuimDistanceExtension".

2) This is difficult. I tried two things: A) adjusting the prefab so it lies flat with a rotation of zero and B) modifying Gaia to add a "Place On Wall" right below "Rotate to Slope" that attempts to use the terrain normal to correctly rotate the vine. Rotations aren't one of my strong points but the end result is a vine that is still not correctly rotated about any axis. :)

Option A didn't fix the Y rotation, since "Rotate to Slope" only takes care of the horizontal vector, so to speak, not the vertical rotation. With option B, one of the biggest problems: even the resource visualizer is telling me the slope is zero, and after some digging that comes directly from the Unity terrain API. Maybe Adam has more insight on this.

3) You got it. That totally works. I now have a separate torch spawner.

50. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

If you want really precise spawning with a lot more power and capability than Gaia, and with a much more intuitive setup then perhaps look at GeNa. I designed the systems to complement each other.

There is a summary of differences here : https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk....what-is-the-difference-between-gaia-and-gena-

Olander, Mark_01 and Shawn67 like this.