Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. Grinl

Grinl

So if I have CTS I will have the textures and dynamic climate system? Thats great! If not what should I purchase to complete the pack?
    SpeedTree has an amazing collection too but wow are those trees are expensive. Is there some kind of functionality to them that other trees don't have? Genuinely curious. Like the work with CTS to illustrate the 4 seasons?

Btw, are there anyways to create streams that lead downward? I have been trying to find anything that allows me to take a small stream from top of the mountain and bring it down towards a lake. The lake part is easy with Gaia but a stream/river leading downwards is something I have not seen anyone do.

If these questions don't belong here I can forward them to your site. :D

2. evilangel89

evilangel89

For
    For vegetation I highly recommend using @Baldinoboy 's Tropical Forest Pack. Good plants and trees with great LOD. It uses a custom deferred shader though so you're forewarned. It hasn't affected me so far but check out if you're using anything else that uses a custom deferred shader to avoid conflicts.

AdamGoodrich and Baldinoboy like this.
  3. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Thanks @evilangel89, Not meaning to advertise here but just want to clarify that the Custom Deferred should work fine if you are using most other Custom Deferred shaders imputed like UBER, Alloy, Lux Plus, AFS. Know there are more out there though but if there is an issue just message me and we can get it fixed.

Also the shaders do not have any dynamic weather option yet unfortunately. Since it is a jungle though there is wet and less wet unless you are playing Crysis of course :)

4. cheeky2

cheeky2

Hi,
    I have Unity 5.4 and am getting an Error which i can't seem to solve.

Assets/Gaia/Scripts/Utils/Utils.cs(223,83): error CS0117: `UnityEditor.TextureImporterType' does not contain a definition for `NormalMap'

This is the code:

public static void MakeTextureNormal(Texture2D texture)
    {
    if (texture == null)
    {
    return;
    }
    #if UNITY_EDITOR
    string assetPath = AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(texture);
    var tImporter = AssetImporter.GetAtPath(assetPath) as TextureImporter;
    if (tImporter != null && tImporter.textureType != TextureImporterType.NormalMap) <====
    {
    tImporter.textureType = TextureImporterType.NormalMap; <=====
    tImporter.SaveAndReimport();
    AssetDatabase.Refresh();
    }
    <==== are the lines with the error. Would appreciate any help.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  5. MrG

MrG

Go HERE for support.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  6. Nitrox32

Nitrox32

Hi,

I hope this is an easy solution or I'm missing something simple. I'm looking for a very high grass density. No mater what I do the density stays the same or gets less dense. I have only one grass I'd like to use at the moment. This is what I've don't so far.
    1. Increased the dna max scale to 1 and the min scale to .9. 2. maxed out the detail distance and density in the default file. 3. Decreased the failure rate to 0. 4. Used perlin noise and also set the mask to none. 5. Tried setting the min viable fitness to both 1 and 0. 6. Reset the spawn controller each time I spawn the coverage detail spawner. 7. Tried painting with a target strength 1 and opacity of 1. None these are working. In fact I don't really see a noticeable change except in some cases the grass gets less dense. I've looked at the tutorials as well. I'm not sure what I'm missing.

7. Exeneva

Exeneva

Just curious if people have any resources for:
    • Making an active volcano within Unity, with flowing lava.
    • Making the edges of the world a drop-off waterfall into oblivion. Also including clouds below / surrounding the environment so when you look over the edge, you don't just see the void.

Grinl likes this.
  8. runningbird

runningbird

Flowing Lava: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/fx-lava-shader-pro-63904

9. Exeneva

Exeneva

That link just brings me to the asset store homepage.

10. runningbird

runningbird

11. Grinl

Grinl

Just google search FX Lava Shader Pro - Unity Asset Store

12. Exeneva

Exeneva

Is there a way to have a Coverage Texture Spawner work on another terrain in the scene?

13. Mighto360

Mighto360

I've got a bug. When I try to spawn trees, this error occurs:

Coverage Tree Spawner: Detail map list was empty for terrain ID: 72908

I have no idea what that means.

14. claudiorodriguescampos

claudiorodriguescampos

Hi, new Gaia user here.
    I was following the Gaia tutorial on Youtube, bu when I try to click the buttons "Standrad / Create Spawners", the spawners are created, but the "Group Spawners" are not created.

https://snag.gy/G0k8q5.jpg

How I can create the "Group Spawners"?

15. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

16. jesseganey

jesseganey

anyone know how to change the fps controller that gaia sets up. Trying to use ultimate survivals controller.

17. claudius_I

claudius_I

the people prefer forum because the info is visible and public
    many people don't like support page

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  18. SirTwistedStorm

SirTwistedStorm

Use the advanced tab and spawn everything but the Gaia first person controller.

19. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Some lovely shots of the early stages of a new environment I am developing for a friend. Scene generated with Gaia 1.6, trees are Speedtrees, trees and and grass placed with GeNa, skies are Tenkoku, terrain rendering is CTS, and am using Standard Post FX.

Grab 20170925101821 w1920h1029 x-312y157z251r101.jpg

Grab 20170925101703 w1920h1029 x-1251y114z193r112.jpg

Grab 20170925101658 w1920h1029 x-1312y94z242r54.jpg

Grab 20170925101331 w1920h1029 x-1617y61z497r146.jpg

20. Xrystal

Xrystal

Other than manually putting the controller you want in and not spawning one built in you can always make a copy of the gaia settings file and adjust the player controller connection to the one you want to spawn instead.

As per Adam's repeated request to use his support site, it would be beneficial to yourself and to the gaia community present and future, if these type of queries are posted there so that you get a faster response from Adam, and other people getting similar problems have an eaiser route to the answer.

Mark_01 and AdamGoodrich like this.
  21. evilangel89

evilangel89

I know the right tools for you. Get the mountains and volcano stamps from Backwoods Gaming on assetstore. Use microsplat with the lava shader for lava. That's the best combo to create volcanoes if you ask me. Check them out.

Exeneva likes this.
  22. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Grab 20170926185025 w1920h1029 x665y185z670r164.jpg

For those who have posted questions here - everyone who asks a question via the support system gets an answer within 24 hours unless I happen to be travelling - with the additional bonus that because most questions have been asked before - chances are the searchable knowledge will give you want you want immediately.

Dragon is from SF Bay's Dragon Pack PBR - pretty cool eh! Scene is same one I posted earlier - just different time of day and playing with Post FX.

23. jesseganey

jesseganey

Thanks for the help. And I will use support site now on.

24. jesseganey

jesseganey

Thanks

25. eaque

eaque

Hi all,

Adam, sorry to bother but any chance to get Gaia2 this year? will it be our christmas gift?
    lol
    Cheers!

blacksun666 likes this.
  26. mattis89

mattis89

Hello Adam! How do you do?

What does this mean "Assertion failed on expression: 'packedSizes == sizes || packedSizes.x == kDefaultSystemAtlasSize || packedSizes.y == kDefaultSystemAtlasSize'" ?

I changed my size settings to:
    Terrain size: 8192
    height 1000

27. mattis89

mattis89

And on more thing... can I export this terrain I have made with Gaia so I can use it in an other project?

and in what format can I export, like an mesh in obj? would be cool to make this terrain a mesh so it can be sculpted with some tool from the asset store so caves are a more possibility =) ?

28. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hehe - i really hope so - sorry for the delay - I am only 1 person and am juggling a whole lot of balls at the moment. The problem with the asset store is that I am not able to get any form of recurring income (unlike your traditional commercial software development), and there is not enough income to cover the cost of another developer, so the reality is that i am spread thin - there are so many things I want to do and so little time to do it. Drives me nuts, but there it is.

G2 is well advanced and quite functional - i have solved all the hard problems but it still needs a lot of polish to be ready for release and to be anything as good as G1 - for those that feel they can deal with the rough edges I am accepting people into the beta.

Yes you can export your terrains - one way is just to save terrain terrain data objects into separate directory and use standard unity export mechanism. The other way is to use mesh export from advanced menu. Next version of CTS that I am currently working on will also include shaders for meshes so you could use CTS to shade your terrains.

29. mattis89

mattis89

Awesome that mesh export is an option! Yes I started actually thinking about that later on that how can I give the same texture blend and CTS beatiful shading to a mesh, but that so awesome :) I guess it takes a while for the next verision of CTS? ..

30. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Any day now :)

JBR-games likes this.
  31. mattis89

mattis89

Wow! Okay.. I think in that case Im gonna build my islandS & wait so I can export the whole thing and then use CTS to make them pretty =) (I have set up one 8x8km terrain as sea bottom, and then stamped 2 islands... so I can have a neat sea bottom and not fall like out from the game)... =) ... do you btw no any better solution? ..maybe not the right place to ask but if you have some good tip =)

-have a good day
    .M

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  32. Xrystal

Xrystal

Wow, that is a good idea .. I never thought of having a separate terrain for under sea.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  33. corjn

corjn

Hey Adam, I would really love to be part of the Gaia 2 bêta :)
    I'm planning to make an open world in VR, so I'm really interested in Gaia 2, it would be an honor to contribute to it's development.
    Here is my cv, if you want to know who would test your swoftware : http://www.corjn.com/curriculum.html

34. mattis89

mattis89

yea...but the mesh exported file ended up being like 2.8gb.. so I recieved a fatal errror from untiy and a crash when I imported it...so... not such a good idea maybe after all? .. buut instead I was thinking that maybe it would be possible to use some sort of skybox but like seabottom instead and some heavyfog...(Where its really deep, and where the terrain ends, you just like die if you go too far but you wont see like "nothing".

35. mattis89

mattis89

I got it exported with standard settings with Gaia. from 2.8 gb to 530mb... The first time I used Full (resolution) ended up with unity crash and fatal error.... but then used what it was premade from Adam (Half resolution in the obj exporter...)...

So I think a mesh takes less on performance? Can i somehow increase the output quality just a bit, or increase it when I have imported it ? .. Now its this textures.. Waiting for CTS update =)

EDIT: Tried play around a bit with the terrain mesh... first of all it flickered... and changed the material a bit and added specular... the flickering got better... than i added suimono.... fps down to 17.... tried with unity terrain created with gaia and used suimono too fps approax 180...

shouldnt mesh terrain be faster?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  36. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Send me a private message :)

37. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Actually I think there are some massive fallacies going around about meshes. My sense is that you would probably have to do a lower resolution export and may also do some mesh optimization.

At some point when I get some time, I will do some research into this and see what I can do in terms of getting screaming performance.

mattis89 likes this.
  38. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

WOO HOO!!

Gaia is on 797 five star reviews!!

I would really love to crack 800, so if you are feeling generous then please take a moment to rate it :)

mattis89, Mark_01 and TeagansDad like this.
  39. JBR-games

JBR-games

798 didnt realize i never gave a review...

40. RD

RD

800 5 star ratings!

I've been with Gaia from the start. Honored to place 800th 5 star rating. The defaults let me see some good results in the first minute. Then I can easily tweak till perfect. Love how it only takes a moment to snapshot my current Gaia settings. Allows ongoing experiments with easy return to known good settings. Really frees up experimenting without any worry of losing great progress. Amazing asset and support!

41. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thank you so much - another pretty stellar milestone for Gaia - and the thing that totally makes it for me is the awesome community here!!

mattis89, JBR-games and TeagansDad like this.
  42. mattis89

mattis89

Cool! Im gonma for now use terrain, I got an idea how to make caves for the way I want without scene change or terrain to mesh or any sculpt program at all:) But Im gonna keep an eye on this mesh terrain because if its done right it benefits you and you can shape your terrain really unique :)

Xrystal and AdamGoodrich like this.
  43. Xrystal

Xrystal

But as a terrain it is fine ? I use procedural mesh for planetary terrain but use gaia for landscaped terrain. Next time I dabble I will have to see how the multiple terrain set up will work. If it pans out it may be an option for cave setups.

44. mattis89

mattis89

Yea its okay.. low fps of you use ex.suimono... but otherwise its cool.. the cave is best to do it like you put together cave meshes and form your tunnels and rooms.. then merge it... and then cut a whole in the terrain and put the cave beneath it and place a tunnel to the newly cutted hole.. and decorate so it looks good.. dosent kill fps and it will look gorgeus :)

45. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

New CTS release is now out :)

46. wdnz

wdnz

Has anyone tried using Gaia for an RTS type project? I tried combining the RTS Camera script (available at the asset store) but it doesn't seem to like Gaia very much.

47. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

It should not have a problem - all Gaia does is create the environment - there are no custom shaders or any other weird things or scripts - in fact you could even delete all the Gaia scripts and there would be no negative impact.

48. wdnz

wdnz

Good quality fast response! It's why you are so good at what you do! Thanks man.

49. mattis89

mattis89

Awesome! Mesh support? Where can i read about news? Will buy when im home from vacay

50. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich