Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. CplMulder

CplMulder

Thanks for the reply Adam.... sorry for the delayed reply... been caught up with the day-job.

Yes, if I import Gaia into a totally clean project it seems to do the API update ok... so it must be something to do with the project settings I guess..... problem is of course Gaia by itself does me little good when I have to integrate it with the rest of my work... that said I fully understand you need to rule out other intervention causing the issues and my gut feel is that this may be a Unity issue...

As for my original project... there were no errors prior to the Gaia import and it ran and built 100%... I tried removing Gaia completely (only possible by closing unity deleting the folder from disk and restarting Unity (btw - it seems that the auto re-adding glitch might have something to do with Gaia materials being in use - perhaps .meta files were still being built or a background bake going on) - I deleted the Gaia package from the download folder, re-downloaded and re-imported... same result!! - the most confusing thing is that the message says check the log for errors and the only messages are warning messages from Gaia about obsolete API calls... no actual errors except that the API updater failed message itself...

To be honest the project (although it contains a lot of initial code and R&D type work/design) is not that serious... at worst I can import the other work back into the clean working Gaia project and try again (tho this is of course a pain)...

Thanks again for all of your help... I'll keep digging to find a cause/pattern and shout if I get totally stuck again... this is not the first time a Unity editor issue has put the brakes on a project (and I suspect not the last either)

Chris
    London

2. Jaimi

Jaimi

3. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I know it does, but according to NASA the page I linked applies to all the multimedia content, as well as multimedia/applications that make use of their content. YMMV, they have been known to be sticklers for details.

4. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Feel free to reach out and contact me privately. Will be happy to do Skype screen share session to try and get to bottom of it.

There was one other scenario where another asset was doing some post import processing and this broke Gaia. It was so long ago that I can't remember what it was.

CplMulder likes this.
  5. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

There has been a lot of interest in this.. and frankly I had fun with it as well!!

I will make up a free stamp pack in the next few days and share it. Being free it should not pose any issues :)

GuinUK, Mark_01, inoj and 3 others like this.
  6. Borunor

Borunor

Good evening,
    Firs of all you did an amazing job by creating Gaia and Gena! It's a fantastic tool!

I have a question that I can't answer just by watching your tutorial, so before to buy your asset I would like to know: With Gaia (and eventually with the integration of Gena in the project) can I generate a different, random generate environment every time I change from a level of my game to another one in real time?
    I can explain: I need a different map every time I have to start a new level (like a classic roguelike game). With Gaia is possible to generate a brand new Environment "ready to play" every time I finish one level and I join the next one?

Many thanks beforehand for your answer.

7. ibo1512

ibo1512

Hi ,
    i need help . gaias group spawner doesn t work by my scene. My english is not very good , i hope someone now
    what unity with this error means.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Gaia.GaiaSessionManager.ExportSessionResources () (at Assets/Gaia/Scripts/SessionSystem/GaiaSessionManager.cs:1478)
    Gaia.GaiaSessionManager.PlaySession () (at Assets/Gaia/Scripts/SessionSystem/GaiaSessionManager.cs:1155)
    Gaia.GaiaSessionManagerEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/GaiaSessionManagerEditor.cs:416)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1229)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

I hope for help, thanks

8. overburn404

overburn404

Scripts\Utils\Utils.cs:611 , you're using mesh.Optimize() which has been fully deprecated. I suggest using MeshUtility.Optimize(mesh) instead; Cheers!

9. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

10. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep - in Gaia 2 this will be changed. That function is a utility I added and not relevant to the main package.

The group spawner will be deprecated in the next release of Gaia - please click spawn on the individual spawners instead. I actually prefer to do it this way as it gives you more control over what you get. For example if you want more trees than what the first spawn gave you, just click spawn again on the tree spawner.

Not in the current version of Gaia, however run-time generation will be supported in the next release of Gaia. And for those that want to also purchase the compute functionality it will be blindingly quick. In current state of development texturing a typical terrain goes from 30 seconds down to 80 milliseconds!

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Mark_01 likes this.
  11. overburn404

overburn404

Hah, despite watching lots of videos of it on youtube, I was still impressed about what I could achieve with it in 20 minutes. Can't wait for the GPU processing bit to get released though. It's really hogging my cpu.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  12. ibo1512

ibo1512

I deletet gaia and have new importet. now i have this error :

Assets/Gaia/Scripts/Utils/Utils.cs(611,18): error CS0619: `UnityEngine.Mesh.Optimize()' is obsolete: `This method is no longer supported (UnityUpgradable)' ^^

how can change to meshUtility.optimize? i am a beginner in unity and doesnt work with scripts before. thank you for fast answers

13. Borunor

Borunor

Many thanks for your answer!
    Isn't possible even by adding some script?
    Like when I click on "play" I call a function that "run" Gaia script? If not, can you let me know when the v2.0 will be out in the market? if that version can do it I'm really interested in it!

14. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Just select "Yes" when Unity asks you to upgrade it. Problem goes away.

People have done it - and if you are feeling adventurous then go check out RuntimeStamper. You will need to move files to your resources folder and to be able to write code to use this and it is not something that I will support as I promote Gaia only as a design time tool.

Gaia 2 will be out sometime in the next few months. Yesty I got the first cut of GPU based texturing working - it textured my terrain in about 80ms (most of this unity itself), down from a typical time of 30 seconds. Very happy with it!

15. overburn404

overburn404

Any ideas why I can't do a build of the project?

Just getting
    Error building Player because scripts have compile errors in the editor
    : (

Huh, it randomly worked all of a sudden. Odd. Eh well :D

16. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I will take it as a great compliment that you think I can resolve issues without any information other than "its just not working..." ;)

It's generally a quick thing for me to work out what the problem is when I can see it, but Unity is a complex and buggy beast, with many assets and many versions.

Glad you are up and running again !!

17. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

kerrmedia likes this.
  18. Borunor

Borunor

Thanks! Ok, I'll wait for the v2.0 and see what Gaia is capable of as a runtime generator! Hopefully, it will come out soon! Thanks again for your answer!

19. ibo1512

ibo1512

Hello,
    can i do other textures or grasses to gaia ? want have more different textures.
    thanks

20. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yes. The content that comes with Gaia is all sample content, and many games swap this for their own to create their own unique look n feel.

21. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

HeadClot88 and inoj like this.
  22. Magic73

Magic73

Hi Adam, I just installed Gaia with Unity 5.6.
    I followed the tutorial, but when at this point of the tutorial:
    10. Then select the GX menu, Procedural Worlds (that’s me), then click Set Linear Deferred Lighting, then click Create Camera Effects, then click Set Afternoon Light…

I get an error on Camera Effects, because it doesn't find the Antialias Effect. (I installed the sample effects..)

23. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep Unity deprecated this.

Grab the new (and much better) version of this from here :

http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/gaia-extensions/camera-and-light-preview/

trilobyteme likes this.
  24. Xrystal

Xrystal

Just to confirm the error (Cannot find global fog - please install Standard Assets -> Effects ... etc) also occurs for me in a fresh new project, imported Gaia, Stamps for Gaia, Standard Assets, Post Processing Effects and new Camera and Light files but alas clicking the Camera Effects button seems to not be able to find the Global Fog files/settings.

As I said no biggie for me at the moment as I haven't got any projects requiring Gaia but I will test again later without using the new file downloads and see whether it is back to working at that point and then go from there.

25. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

You must have the old version. I removed the reference to global fog completely in the version I uploaded the other day.

26. Magic73

Magic73

I just did it.. but I got this error at the end of the import:

Assets/Gaia/Scripts/ExtensionSystem/Extensions/CameraAndLight.cs(10,19): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `PostProcessing' does not exist in the namespace `UnityEngine'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Then I removed the unecessary
    using UnityEngine.PostProcessing;

from that script, and then... I got the error on the missing fog effect :) as Xrystal said

Could not add Global Fog

and I may confirm that at line 113 you search for GlobalFog effect...

--------------

I just commented the Global Fog code... and then I got the error on the missing post processing stack...

then I imported this asset.. and it worked.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  27. DNArt

DNArt

It must be my computer but im a bit done with the asset at the time.
    What ever i do it wont give me the Gaia manager. I reinstalled it several times even installed a fresh older version of Unity. I do have no console errors except the fixable speed trees. It does run perfect on my mac b.t.w. so it must be Window specific, I also don't read others have the same problem I did get the manager window once yesterday after reinstalling for the X time and restarting unity after reinstalling but that seems just luck. I'm on windows 10 and a Nvidea 970 in case that matters.

28. ibo1512

ibo1512

How can i use more textures and grass objects with gaia . on my project gaia uses only the standart textures and grasses and not my imported textures. after deleting gaia textures comes a error for reimporting.

29. Xrystal

Xrystal

I downloaded it a short while before posting that message as I couldn't find the ones I had downloaded before rofl.

30. Xrystal

Xrystal

I think one of the items on the website explains it but you need to ( correct me if I am wrong ) create a settings file and add the textures and grasses to those as appropriate and use that settings file with gaia for the terrains you want with that setting. I think this was set up to allow multiple biomes by simply changing to a different settings file.

Yes the tutorials on this page (http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/tutorials/) include ones to do with terrain textures and grass/details. Both videos will also show how you can replace them with others.

I haven't done this myself yet so can't comment more than that.

31. Xrystal

Xrystal

Hmm, works fine on my Windows 10 and Nvidia 960 barring the camera effects problem that isn't exactly a Gaia Asset problem.

What exactly happens on your Windows computer for you to feel it is not working on it ? Maybe go through step by step what you are doing and post those steps up, with what you expect and what you are getting.

Apart from my computer's cooling system going into overdrive when I add the built in water object it all seems fine. I have never had it not work at all, that I can recall.

32. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Maybe i uploaded the wrong one :( Will check and get back to you.

Yep - replacing textures takes about a minute - and is pretty trivial to do if you watch the tutorials.

Gaia is developed on a Windows computer - so whatever is causing your issue, it is not windows. Please PM me and send me your Skype details. Happy to do a Skype session so we can work out what is groing wrong.

33. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I'm seeing a lot of people reporting problems with Gaia and Unity 5.6, especially with add-on frills like lighting and camera effects. Most of these problems come from changes made to Unity, and aren't really Gaia issues. To the extent that they are Gaia issues, Adam has provided a link to the upcoming new effects that will ship with Gaia 2.0, so make sure you get them, and spend some of time learning how they work, before reporting new problems.

Unity 5.6 has deprecated the old discrete image effects, like Global Fog, and replaced them with a new integrated Post-Processing Stack. In addition, they don't include either of them in the Standard Assets you download with Unity 5.6, so until you import either the old Legacy Image Effects, or the new Post-Processing Stack from the Asset Store, Unity's (and Gaia's) image effects won't work. Remember, if you decide to use the legacy effects, you still need to make the Global Fog class public or it will generate import errors with Gaia. I'd recommend switching to the new integrated effects instead though, as they're much better, easier to use, and will save you headaches going forward.

Please make sure you have all required assets installed in Unity 5.6, and that they work properly on their own, before reporting that they don't work with Gaia. Adam is working hard to finalize Gaia 2.0, and getting enough flak from people who are impatient about when it's going to be released. If you keep asking for support for basic Unity issues, he'll keep trying to help, but every time he does, it takes him away from working on Gaia 2.0. :rolleyes:

Goodgulf, Mark_01, Xrystal and 2 others like this.
  34. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Mark_01, Xrystal and TeagansDad like this.
  35. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Btw... in other news, I got the new GPU based texturing for Gaia 2 going on weekend... the formerly 30 second process now takes between 70-80 milliseconds - totally wrapped!

36. Xrystal

Xrystal

This is quite true, but in my defence (in regards to my specific queries) , my queries were in response to using the new Gaia Camera Light and Effects file that Adam posted here over the last few days alongside the new Post Processing Stack from Unity. As a programmer I suspect Adam would rather know there was a potential problem with the file being using in Gaia 2 before it is released, and can now say it works fine after his new changes :)

37. Xrystal

Xrystal

Thanks, I can now confirm it worked fine on the last project I reported the issue in. And very interesting effects they are as well. Here are some screenshots ( editor and runtime )
    Gaia with new Camera Lighting.png Grab 20170508064407 w1900h1200 x0y104z398r315.jpg Grab 20170508064414 w1900h1200 x0y104z398r202.jpg

Attached Files:

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  38. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Out of cusiosity, do you have any other FX on your camera ? Please make sure you disable all but the Post Processing Behaviour. These effects are way more subtle on my system.

39. Xrystal

Xrystal

Not that I am aware of. The only steps I did were:
    A Create Terrain and Show Stamper
    1 stamp a coastal region
    B Create Spawners
    2 apply terrain textures
    3 place game objects
    4 place clustered trees
    5 place covered trees
    6 add detail
    C Create Player, Wind, Water, Screenshotter
    7 moved player to where I want him to start ( above water )
    D From Camera And Light GX
    8 Set Linear Deferred Lighting
    9 Create Camera Effects ( may have pressed more than once to confirm it worked )
    10 Set Afternoon Light

These are my usual steps, sometimes using more stamps in Part A

Everything else is as per project creation default state after importing Gaia, Gaia Stamps, Post Processing, Standard Assets, Camera and Light.

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

When will Gaia 2 release and what exactly will be different, better, new features? Should I wait or use it as it is today?

41. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

If you don't want to read back through this forum, where this question has been asked and answered on pretty much every page recently, at least read post #8029. I think it sums things up pretty well. :rolleyes:

42. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Gaia works beautifully well right now. Gaia 2 will bring a lot of new stuff to the table, the very least of which is multi tile and multi threading support.

Goodgulf likes this.
  43. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I just bought Gaia and Gena today. And I am really happy with it!!
    I did run into a weird issue when I did the Quickstart tut. I have black plants in Parallel Lines across the entire terrain. I am assuming I did something wrong and am wondering how to correct it in the future?

GAIA_ISSUE_001.jpg
    Also I am wondering how to spawn grass and plants from the asset store such as DirectX 11 Grass Shader. I am not fond of the frame-rates for Unity's default grass and trees.

44. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

You also have no skybox, and there seem to be other issues with your scene as well. The issue is with the lighting by the looks - do you have anything else on your camera ?

45. evilangel89

evilangel89

Interesting that you're using the Invector controller too :D I am a die hard invector fan. Join us on invector.proboards.com . I am not entirely sure why these lines appear. Might I ask you what version of Unity you're on and also if you don't mind, what assets you're using for lighting up the scene ? I've never run across a situation like this with Gaia ever.

inoj likes this.
  46. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thought I would share this as well. Done blazingly quickly with Gaia 2 - about 50ms for the terrain and texturing, plus another 60ms for Unity to apply it. The terrain is a ridged fractal, with a nice mask to make it into an island, and then some thermal and hydraulic erosion to make it look more natural.

The trees are Alaskan Cedars from Desktop Trees Package (one of my favourite SpeedTrees), and the water is HydroForm.

The lighting is the new Camera and Lighting Post FX I made for Gaia, which I also tweaked slightly.

Grab 20170509133944 w1920h1029 x978y17z-230r264.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  47. evilangel89

evilangel89

I've been using @Baldinoboy's asset pack recently and have been working with the beta version that's supposed to be released soon. I struggled real hard to get the scene to look like baldinoboy's demo scene. This is Gaia and Gena from @AdamGoodrich and Enviro from @Vondox doing it's thing.

Aren't you wowed :)

48. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Looks awesome!! :)

evilangel89 likes this.
  49. evilangel89

evilangel89

Adam the erosion looks amazing. That is very well done!

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  50. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

Hi, It looks very good, what asset do you use for trees and plants? thx