Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. evilangel89

evilangel89

You da man bruh
    - A random Millennial (2017)

S4G4N likes this.
  2. Shadowing

Shadowing

I'm not seeing anything lit up to apply @GuinUK

S4G4N likes this.
  3. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Its your trees that have the issue. You need to regenerate the materials on them. Please look at first page of quick start guide.

TeagansDad, GuinUK and S4G4N like this.
  4. Shadowing

Shadowing

Thanks Adam that fixed it. I guess I thought I already did that. wierd.

AdamGoodrich and GuinUK like this.
  5. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Welcome to Unity. Be prepared to regenerate SpeedTree textures any time you update your Standard Assets. Either that or move them to another folder and don't update them with everything else each time. :rolleyes:

6. Juryiel

Juryiel

I'm trying to apply terrain details with gaia and it seems that the terrain detail size is being ignored. I imported the details from the terrain, but it seems the sizes don't match. Furthermore, I tried changing the sizes in the resources for the detail spawner and it doesn't have an effect.

This is in Unity 5.5, not sure if that's supported with the current version of gaia.

7. Stoader

Stoader

Hello Adam,

Please provide more details regarding the proper way to export a terrain/environment created with Gaia 1.5.3 in Unity 5.5. Your tutorials don’t provide this explanation and it’s really important for us to do it properly.

The previous comments/questions were #7990 and #7992.

A step by step would be really great (starting from exporting an environment and then what to do to import it into a brand new project, any prerequisites needed, for instance we will need to import all Gaia into the new project?). Note that I’ve tried the export as obj but importing it didn’t work, Unity split it into 9 parts and finally refused to do it (Meshes may not have more than 65534 vertices or triangles at the moment. Mesh 'default' will be split into 9 parts: 'default_MeshPart0', 'default_MeshPart1', 'default_MeshPart2', 'default_MeshPart3', 'default_MeshPart4', 'default_MeshPart5', 'default_MeshPart6', 'default_MeshPart7', 'default_MeshPart8'. Message)

and regarding the heightmap, splat texture exporter these are still unclear to me (for instance I’m trying to apply the heightmap as Raw import but the file is not recognized in Unity and I get these type of messages TerrainData is missing splat texture 3.)

Many thanks

Stefan

8. somosky

somosky

Hi I picked up Gaia yesterday after thinking about getting it for awhile. I have run through the startup video and am loving it so far. I was wondering though I haven't seen where or how I'm supposed to change the spawned prefabs. I have some different trees and grass and texturing materials I would like to use and I can't seem to find how to add or change them out for the default ones provided by Gaia. I'm sure this has been answered in this thread but it's over 150 pages long and that's a lot of pages haha. So is that gone over in a specific tutorial? Thanks. Love the asset.

GuinUK and S4G4N like this.
  9. GuinUK

GuinUK

https://www.you tube.com/channel/UCT4URPlQykYmsau4w02LTzA

Honestly you need to watch them all - for what you want to do you need to look at the ones from 5 months ago.remove the spaces out of youtube above

AdamGoodrich, Goodgulf and S4G4N like this.
  10. S4G4N

S4G4N

They are all worth watching, with so much tips tricks and advice.
    Worth spending the time ;)

11. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I have previously commented that you need to use the Unity import / export system to export your terrain, as this is how I understood your question. This is a fairly standard unity process and while I am far from an expert at that, I don't really understand why you are having problems with it. You can choose to include dependencies or not - but if you choose not to then do at your own risk as you need to make sure the dependencies are already in your new project before you import it.

I am actually quite confused about what you want, because in your comment above it looks like you are trying to convert the terrain to a mesh - which is a completely different thing.

Thanks :) The answers to your questions are encapsulated in the videos here : http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/tutorials/

Interesting question - upon more investigation it appears that these grasses are all the same texture, but at different sizes, and I think this is confusing Gaia, as Gaia does an internal match based on Texture name - which in your case is all the same, regardless of the size of the grass.

This is something I suspect that Gaia can not do as it never occurred to me that this is something someone would ever want to do. The only way I can think off is to make a duplicate of each grass and give it a different name so that Gaia can detect it.

Alternatively take a look at GeNa. GeNa has a more sophisticated approach to spawning and will handle this no problems.

Mark_01, TeagansDad and S4G4N like this.
  12. Tuskony

Tuskony

Is there anywhere to get more stamps for Gaia?

I love the default stamps and what not but I'd love to have some stamps that give me more jagged rocks and what not so I don't have to add them to my scene as objects.

Any ideas anyone?

13. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

14. inoj

inoj

While those stamps what @turboscalpeur linked for you are very great, easy to add to gaia and very enjoyable to work with (I own the volcano/hills and island packs from there). Adam have also made a quick, but informative tutorial how you can make your own stamps for Gaia from the heightmaps you pick up from internet, I followed it today, it was at the same time fun and i learned so much from it, so i definitely recommend you to watch that video. You can find it here https://www.you tube.com/watch?v=QZ6nlq-uvnw , just remove the space from the link. Im also not saying that you should not buy your stamps, those are really carefully selected and easy to add to your gaia instantly and i very much recommend picking a pack or couple from there and try those out, it's been awesome to work with those! :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Goodgulf likes this.
  15. Tuskony

Tuskony

turboscalpeur likes this.
  16. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Next version of Gaia will have the ability to generate unlimited stamps - all of your own - and each one completely unique. The general response of those I have shown it to is WOW - when can I get it. One AAA studio likes it so much that they are already using it to create their environments - even before it has gone to the beta group :)

@Shawn67 also has an amazing set of satellite scans he has both curated and touched up that work beautifully with Gaia.

17. inoj

inoj

Those stamps @Shawn67 does are so nice bonus to original collection and was just a buttonclick to import to Gaia and get rolling instantly, there was couple themes i just HAD to get, no matter what, especially Volcano stamps have been something i've been playing with alot! :)

Adam, that indeed sounds very WOW, even by just hearing you telling that information about stamp making in Gaia 2, WOW! I started with unity about 2-3 month ago without previous experience from developing and Gaia was one of my first assets i got, It's been very easy to learn and fun to play with and I've found completely new hobby from designing islands and maps, and have been doing it daily, It's like drawing, but littlebit easier!

Thank you Adam for all the hours and effort you put for your assets and community. Honestly I didn't even know about Gaia 2 features when i got Gaia, but after finding all these things you've been working on, i must join to that "CANT WAIT" -boat, i guess we all are rowing together atm! Also recently got Gena, IM LOVING IT, while still at the beginning of learning phase.

GuinUK, Goodgulf, Mark_01 and 2 others like this.
  18. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thanks so much for your kind words!

Sometimes I get trolls passing through and although they shouldn't bother me because the reality is that they will always reap what they sow, they still somehow manage to upset me every time.

Its the awesome community here and people like you that makes what is at times a very difficult road all worth while :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    GuinUK, TeagansDad, Goodgulf and 2 others like this.
  19. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

@inoj asked for some tips on lighting - so I thought I would drop some information here - some of it is about lighting - the rest is just plain handy:

Scene Optimisation:
    http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/tutorials/mobile-unity-scene-optimisation-with-gaia/

SpeedTree Instancing:
    http://www.procedural-worlds.com/ga...ng-speedtree-with-gpu-instancing-in-unity-55/

160+ Free and Quality Unity Asset MegaList:
    http://www.procedural-worlds.com/blog/best-free-unity-assets-categorised-mega-list/

Introduction to Precomputed Real Time GI (Lighting!):
    https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/graphics/introduction-precomputed-realtime-gi

By the way - the tips in the GI tutorial - I built an auto optimization system into GeNa - and it does this and plenty more for you automatically.

More about the difference between Gaia and GeNa here:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/gena-sophisticated-procedural-content-spawner.437566/

Btw.. Procedural worlds is me.

Goodgulf, Mark_01, inoj and 2 others like this.
  20. masa045

masa045

Hi there.
    I saw mention new terrain shader few page before
    what is going on now ? ;)
    megasplat are sale right now.
    I consider decide to terrain shader.
    thanks in advence

21. phantomy1

phantomy1

Hey Adam,
    I bet I missed that, but is there a release date for Gaia 2?
    Best regards

22. stigmamax

stigmamax

23. inoj

inoj

Did you regenerate your speedtree materials? I really recommend to take look for some tutorials for Gaia to get quick and smooth start. You can find about speedtree materials in about 00:20 in this video http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/tutorials/quickstart-guide-gaia-v15/

(not completely sure if that is the correct problem, but i guess it might be) Im still fairly new with gaia also. :) Hope it helps you get going, have fun friend.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  24. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep, mentioned every page ;) It will be done when its ready and i am working very hard to make this sooner rather than later. I keep on pushing the date out, but i guess the upside to that is that you keep on getting a better product. I am almost finished with the new features I want to add - and they are pretty huge advances.

Once that is done then I will focus on usability and polish - and then will release it.

Mark_01 likes this.
  25. Vedrit

Vedrit

**Gaia 2 will be released when AdamGoodrich is satisfied with its quality. As such, there is no set release date.
    Thank you for your interest in Gaia**

There. Maybe that'll fend off a few questions?

GuinUK and AdamGoodrich like this.
  26. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Umm yeah - eta a month or so - sorry that its taking longer than expected.

The new stuff is largely working now - but it still has some very bad habits - and there are also things that still need to be done to get it to where I want it to be.

I also don't want to release something that does not deliver on its promise. I have seen my competitors do this and then get slayed - and their customers then come to me. I want to be known for delivering value for money and quality, and if you look at how Gaia generally does on the asset store, and at the reviews of my products in general, I think this is generally a good strategy. And I guess last but not least, while it might sound corny, it's just who I want to be.

Btw.. even tho new version coming - the existing version is working just fine.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  27. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Btw... for anyone considering buying Gaia. I am ending the pre-release sale on the 30th. So get in quick.

inoj likes this.
  28. FredrikS

FredrikS

Hey Adam,

Long time user of Gaia and Gena. Love your products. I upgraded to 5.6 and I am getting a couple of warnings now. Everything works fine still, but it's a bit annoying. Any tips?

29. evilangel89

evilangel89

Well I've been using unity only for a few months now, coming in as an enthusiast and hobbyist with a strong background in c#. For whatever game, I wanted to make landscapes. Beautiful ones. The unity terrain didn't do it for me at all when I started. I came across the asset from Adam's site while googling for a bunch of free assets. I wouldn't have stepped into using unity if it hadn't been for gaia. Gaia is what gave me the confidence that I can build beautiful terrains so thanks a lot for that Adam.

So whatever the trolls say I don't think you need to be that worried. Trolls will always be trolls.

inoj, Mark_01 and AdamGoodrich like this.
  30. evilangel89

evilangel89

@Shawn67 I am going to have an awesome time with your stamp packs Shawn. Thank you having such high quality stamps on sale! Seriously I don't even know why these cost so little or why they are even on sale. Before I try these on I need to ask you something. This is a curiosity thing mostly. Have you tried combining a few of these stamps from different packs together in a single large terrain ?

I am really looking forward to multi-tile in Gaia 2.0 because I intend to combine these and make some awesome landscapes with a lot of biomes.

To this end @AdamGoodrich , could you explain the workflow you intend have for object spawning in Gaia 2.0 ? Will the objects be spawned per tile ? Will we be able to create sessions per tile ? Hopefully it is so, because it'll help me combine all the terrains I make in Gaia into Gaia 2.0 without having to redo the entire lot of game objects.

http://imgur.com/sR9dLEH

inoj likes this.
  31. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

The short answer is yes - absolutely separated by tile. This is how things currently work in Gaia 2 and it is an approach that scales well to larger environments without killing your machine.

A lot of the development time so far has been invested into the new framework and the tile based stamping & texturing system on top of it. I have hinted at what is coming and think people will love it.

The idea is that Gaia 2 will take your tiles - as long as you position them correctly and then run with them. It is all tile based, and even the object trees generated during spawning will be tile based. I will probably also retro fit GeNa to do this as well as it makes a lot of sense.

This will then make it easy to do tile based culling and streaming. However, I can't guarantee it will all be smooth sailing as I don't know what the issues are until I run into them.

Mark_01 likes this.
  32. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep its annoying but just that - wont cause any issues - next release will resolve all of these. Even Unities own assets generate warnings.

33. stigmamax

stigmamax

It's ok for me now. Thanks.

AdamGoodrich and inoj like this.
  34. stigmamax

stigmamax

35. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

Think this is a Unity 5.6 specific issue as was about to pm Adam same thing. It definitely worked in 5.5 as followed the tutorial back then without issues. Unfortunately now looks like going to have to reinstall 5.5.x again. I wish it wasn't allowed to include standard assets with unity packages. Far too many of the compatible Gaia assets also include parts of the standard assets that are different from Gaia. Aquas refused to work for me until I included the specific versions of files from its unitypackage so guessing it must have been edited.

Edited
    Second issue which I thought was a Unity quirk does seem to be an issue. Several times objects will be added to the hierarchy but the details are missing as they are just an empty gameobject. 6 Small farms were added to the Hierarchy in my scene but only 2 actually appear to be placed properly. Similarly for rocks, etc.

Note this was after I re-installed 5.5.2f1. So issue 1 is Unity 5.6 specific it seems but issue 2 is not.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  36. stigmamax

stigmamax

I remade the demo with version 5.5.2f1 but it does not change anything. The rocks and houses are below and not visible.
    Which version should be used for Gaia?

37. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Unfortunately Unity deprecated these assets in 5.6. This feature was added as a handy add-on to Gaia to speed things up for you and my plan is to update it with all the latest stuff in 5.6 in Gaia 2, plus to add a bunch of cool Post FX. I will make a patch to get around it. In the mean time this is fairly standard stuff so you can do it manually with the unity Post FX.

This is normal behaviour. Gaia will create an empty parent for any asset that could potentially be spawned.. however if it is unable to find any ground that is suitable during the spawning process then that asset wont be spawned. Most likely your terrain is too steep.

You can spawn that spawner again to have another crack at it, or you can relax the fitness criteria so that it is more likely to be spawned, or you can make a flatter terrain that is more conducive to the types of assets being spawned.

FYI, I impose fairly strict slope limits on those POI spawns because it makes sense to. Hard to spawn a village on too much of a slope as this would mean you would need to embed the houses way into the slope to cover every possible scenario and this would often lead to a poor result.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Mark_01 likes this.
  38. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hmmm task for today... make this patch or move the texturing to the GPU for Gaia 2 and make it real time... #torn :)

Mark_01, Olander and S4G4N like this.
  39. Olander

Olander

Get to work.....or in your case....cracking. :D

In reference to Unity 5.6 Standard Assets and projects. In fact 5.4+ you really must get all the Unity 5 stuff installed prior to setting up your project. 5.5+ required me to fully rebuild since updating from 5.4 made some really bad things happen in my project. There is the usual fixing of things but not to this extent. Installing ALL of the Unity 5.5+ things you want/may want prior to anything else worked really well. You still need to edit Global Fog and a couple of the others to Public if you want to control them via code but that is also 'normal' Unity behaviors.

Once you begin installing other things that have Standard Assets included (this also means S***ty artists who include scripts in their own custom folder with the same script names/versions as Standard Assets) will show a recycle/refresh icon in the window. Take the frickin' time to go through the install and check to make certain that none of that garbage is installed. Now if some purchased package is not working....time to fix it or go back to the author and get them to update it (good luck with many of them).

I know how Adam feels about making his excellent tools easy to install....but he and I disagree about his inclusion of all that into Gaia. A simple note to people is enough in my opinion. Whether we are being Hobbyists or Professionals Unity requires learning and especially following directions from assets that are purchased....like Requires This and That from Unity...download and install for free.

My two coppers.

40. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Always interesting to get feedback from @Olander - this guy knows his stuff :)

Gaia does not include code from Standard Assets (a massive pet annoyance of mine - the number of support requests I have fielded dues to the the poor behavior of other assets!!..), however it does include a few things such as the default Speedtrees. I will be removing these from the next release as the material rebuild always causes confusion, and as he comments, I think a referral to them is easy enough for most people to manage.

Value adds such as automatic player, wind and water setup, plus the screen shotter really aren't what Gaia is about, but I just find them so handy, and figured that other people would too. It's also particularly useful for newcomers, so I will be enhancing this in Gaia 2.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Olander, TeagansDad and S4G4N like this.
  41. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Ok, for those of you who are feeling brave, here is a preview of the new Camera And Light extension for Gaia 2.

http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/gaia-extensions/camera-and-light-preview/

It uses the new Unity Post Processing Effects, and works from Unity 5.4 onwards. It also resolves the issue with deprecated effects in Unity 5.6, and handles the new ways in which Unity 5.4 onwards handles linear / deffered setup.

I plan to do a whole bunch of really nice Post FX, but for now, here is a quick start. You can modify the Post FX by changing the values in "Gaia Post FX 1", which you will find in the Gaia / Materials directory.

Olander and jangomoose like this.
  42. phantomy1

phantomy1

Hey Adam,
    thanks for the reply, even it you are asked this on every page. My fault. I could have gone through them.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what you have made ;-)
    Best wishes

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  43. stigmamax

stigmamax

Ok Adam, It's perfect with the version 5.2.5f1
    If I understand correctly, version 2.0 works with the latest versions of Unity?

Edit:
    I have this error
    "GfxDevice should be in Gamma mode when calling into IMGUI."

44. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

Still get a (different) message box regarding missing standard assets when nothing can be imported in 5.6 when following quick tutorial but guessing that step is now redundant. Can set time of day though as using the new Unity effects and run around and explore. These aren't yet part of the standard assets? I imported it separately anyway just in case. Still get some script warnings but now it is 5 not 3.

Also sent you a PM this morning (our time). Did you see it? If you think answers may benefit others here (wasn't sure so didn't want to clutter thread) can answer here.

Thanks.

45. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Latest versions yes.

You need to give me some information if you want me to help you. Messages with no context are impossible for me to do anything with and may or may not be related to Gaia. What did you do? What version of Unity are you on? What platform are you targeting? Any other errors in console ? What other messages etc. Please send via PM.

Not really sure what you are asking. Did you try the new code or are you talking about something else?

I tested the new stuff on 5.6 as did some of my beta group and worked fine for us both. You do need to import Standard Effects - just follow the instructions on the message that was displayed. Global fog is a part of standard effects and is needed to get nice haze effects.

Quick start tutorial is out of date with respect to the new thing I just uploaded, so am not sure what the relevance is. Its pre-release and I have not had a chance to update the documentation yet.

If something else is showing / wrong then please let me know via PM so that I can track it down.

Normally I would run new features via the beta group. If putting new stuff out here proves to be problematic then I would rather not share it until more significant testing has been done.

46. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep saw it - been crazy busy all day - will give it an answer when I have had a chance to give it some proper thought :)

47. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

Thanks for taking the time to think about the answer.

The new code appeared to work fine as did say could go further in the admittedly redundant tutorial but that is the tutorial in the current download. Despite having Gaia for ages I am not that knowledgeable with it so still follow the tutorial when doing an initial scene. I hope to rectify that sometime soon but busy on non Unity project :(

Think I misintpreted this statement as saying the error message box would no longer appear. Sorry about that.

48. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Glad its all working ok.

49. stigmamax

stigmamax

Object : GfxDevice should be in Gamma mode when calling into IMGUI

I can not send by pm.
    Version Gaia: 1.5.3
    Unity Version: 5.2.5f1
    Windows Seven 64 bits
    This is the only error message (999 times)

50. Xrystal

Xrystal

I imported this into a 5.6.0f3 project that had Gaia freshly installed and the Character and Environment Default Assets installed. And a sample terrain map generated as you can see.

Was this error expected or seen before ?

Post Processing Error.png