Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

?

Would you pay an upgrade fee for Gaia 2 so that we can hire to accelerate its development?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2018.
  1. Yeah super cool - I would pay a $15 upgrade fee to get it faster!

83 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. No way - you promised free and i am happy to wait!

20 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

A bit of both but mostly performance. It's to do with the way it renders reflections. If you disable that feature its performance is fine.

2. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

I've been playing backwards and forwards with large and small terrains, and my main RTP problem seems to stem entirely from the terrain size. Well, that and using height maps.
    RTP uses heightmaps to make the transitions from one texture to the other.
    For example so rocks at along the edge of two textures may "pop" up on the other side. But as you say, gaia works very well with the standard shader because it does a very smooth blend between the textures.
    This looks weird when I use heightmaps on large terrains (16km x 16km), but "ok" when I do it on the standard size (2km x 2km), and there are no problems what so ever on a smaller terrain.

This is how smooth it is between two textures on a 128m x 128m terrain. I'm zoomed in quite a bit here. The cube sticking trough the terrain is a standard 1 meter cube for comparison. :)
    upload_2017-4-3_15-29-15.png

And here's the distance on a 16km xy 16km map.
    The two selected boxes mark the border, the aircraft is to scale, it's a small twin engine 6 seater, just for comparison :)
    Oh and the cubes are standard 1 meter cubes. :)
    upload_2017-4-3_15-23-36.png

The solution seems to be to just define how much smoothing there should be between the textures, but I've twiddled all the knobs, and turned all the cranks and there doesn't seem to be a setting for it?

Like for distant splatmaps that's pretty good, but for close ups it just looks .. well not so good, you need just look at the edge between the two textures and how tiled it looks :)
    I can solve some of it by not using heightmaps, but I'd really prefer just being able to tighten the borders between the textures ^_^

Cheers :)

3. evilangel89

evilangel89

Have you looked up @RonnyDance 's video to see if you've missed anything ? Just checking :)

RonnyDance likes this.
  4. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

That was a pretty sweet tutorial @evilangel89 it added quite a bit of awesomeness to my terrain, sadly it didn't aleviate my problem though :/

RonnyDance likes this.
  5. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

This is really a RTP specific question / problem. I would post this question in the RTP thread so Tom the creator of RTP can explain to you the idea of his texture blending / transition better.

Anyway I am gonna try to help you:
    As you mentioned RTP uses Layer Heightmaps for blending. So heightmaps define how good the blending is. Under the "Combined Textures" Tab you see which textures where combined. This is done by RTP automatically you don't have any sliders to define that.
    The important Buzzword for the problem is the "Crosspass heightblend" feature of RTP. In LOD Manager the feature is normally enabled. You can deactivate it though and see if this delivers better results for you.
    Here you see what I am talking about:

Taken from the RTP Documentation. I suppose you want to have something like on the left image because that's whats Gaia Terrains look like without RTP.

You also should be aware that GAIA uses Tile Sizes X and Y of 15m. If you switch to RTP, RTP will use 5x5. So the terrain will look different because the textures are smaller and you will have a bigger "tilling effect" which you need to fix through perlin normal map and UV blending.

Hope I could help.
    Cheers
    Ronny

Mr-Logan, Vondox and TeagansDad like this.
  6. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Thank you! :)
    In the video posted above you switch back to 15x15 so I did that too :)
    But Really, I'd like to have Crosspass Heightblending xD
    Which is why I think it's a Gaia issue and not an RTP issue.

It just struck me while writing this that it could be because the splatmap stays the same size and the same amount of pixels are then "stretched" to cover more terrain, which would cause the borders to be a lot less defined.
    I'll have to look into that.
    Thanks again for replying! :)

7. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Ok, after some reading, the solution seems to be the approach of Gaia 2 where the terrain is split into multiple sections, each with their own splat map :)

8. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hehe - Gaia just textures terrain and if it works in the standard shader the Gaia has done its job.

RTP is the one shading it - so am unsure how RTP's issues texturing are related. My suggestion is to speak with the RTP author.

However, if you want sharper graduations in textures, rather than nice blends, then please watch the video below. You just need to make your curves tighter.

http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/tutorials/spawners-unity-terrain-textures/

evilangel89 likes this.
  9. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

C̶a̶n̶ ̶G̶a̶i̶a̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶e̶x̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶o̶p̶u̶l̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶t̶e̶r̶r̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶G̶a̶i̶a̶?̶ Yes

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  10. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep :)

11. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Whadaya know, it actually worked :D
    I had to switch off noise though, there was no way to tighten the borders enough for it not to look silly, but without that, and both slope and height set at vertical degrees, I managed to get tight enough borders.
    (I am a little worried about the full map though as it needs to be around 6 times larger than this map.. but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it)

evilangel89 likes this.
  12. evilangel89

evilangel89

Btw for anyone who cares, Enviro + Gaia and Enviro + Megasplat is now available. Enviro released the update earlier today. Can't wait to try.

AdamGoodrich, Teila and Mr-Logan like this.
  13. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

I figured I'd just show it off too, as I'm very happy with the result.
    The scene itself is still far from finished and needs weather effects and screen effects and whatnot (oh and water that isn't just a giant blue plane), but the terrain texturing looks good now!
    Thanks again everyone :)

upload_2017-4-4_17-1-34.png

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  14. Teila

Teila

Wait, what? Wow! Thank you. :)

evilangel89 likes this.
  15. Vondox

Vondox

Yea it's released finally. Hope to see a few screenshots of your gaia projects with enviro sky in the next weeks :D

gaia.png
    (Gaia + Enviro + MegaSplat + Aquas + Unity PostEffect Stack)

16. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Holy F*** that looks absolutely stunningly beautiful!!

17. yummybrainz

yummybrainz

Awesome! Going to check your asset out now as I noticed you are integrating with Ultimate Survival as well!

evilangel89 likes this.
  18. Vondox

Vondox

Cool :)

I only changed a few lines of code to replace current Ultimate Survival ToD system with Enviro and it's working great :D
    Have thrown a few assets together and got a decent looking survival game with Gaia + Ultimate Survival + Enviro in no time! So everyone who needs help with that can message me :)

inoj, Mr-Logan, mimminito and 3 others like this.
  19. CaptCanada

CaptCanada

Anyone experiencing a "pink terrain" when using GAIA in Unity 5.6?

P.S.
    I am using GAIN 1.5.3 and it seems to only happen when I set the lighting to "evening light". All other lighting environments are okay.

Thanks!

20. Xrystal

Xrystal

Just the visual similarity. When I first watched the advert my first thoughts was of Gaia.

21. evilangel89

evilangel89

Check if the terrain's material is correctly assigned.

22. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

So i took a little time out last weekend for my mother's 70th birthday - was lovely to see family again.

While I didn't get much development done, stepping away and getting some space to do some design paid some real dividends.

Came up with some really simple and powerful ideas that will significantly increase the capability of Gaia 2. Of course they now need to be built - can't wait to show this stuff all off!

Also, the new terrain shader is getting very close to release. @NatureManufacture and I found a way to crack a number of really significant hurdles we had been chipping away at this week and I am working on the final UX now.

It will rival the best terrain shaders on the market, and will be delivered with an obsessive focus on simplicity, speed, capability and usability!

Here is an example of height blending in action :)

CTS Heights 1.png

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    antoripa, kerrmedia, masa045 and 10 others like this.
  23. evilangel89

evilangel89

Wow. Hopefully my search for the best looking terrain shader comes to an end with your asset. I got RTP, wasn't happy, got Megasplat, slightly happy, then there's distingo ultra to look out for, but you got my attention Adam. Please keep more screenshots coming. Really looking forward to your terrain shader. Any idea how much you're going to price this at ?

24. mimminito

mimminito

Long time owner of GAIA but not been in the community for a while. I was wondering if there are any resources for sessions people have made and shared out with the community?

25. Xrystal

Xrystal

I don't think there is a single resource location. But this is a link to the session info I uploaded for one of my scenes I liked the look of that was created with the basic stuff that comes with Gaia.

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/s...d-scene-creation.327342/page-146#post-2949250

AdamGoodrich and mimminito like this.
  26. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Looks amazing.

Some questions:
    - This will be a terrain shader only or does it also work on meshes like UBER? Asking because getting snow / water effect at the same time when terrain textures are getting them would be pretty cool. Right now I am using UBER + RTP + Enviro for that.
    - Will the Terrain be editable if the Shader is applied? Meaning can you change the Terrain by painting new textures changing height etc using the pencil also after adding your shader to the terrain or will this not be possible? The thing here is after adding RTP and using tesselation features for the terrain, you can't change any heights anymore. So before adding RTP you really should have finished your terrain completely by painting / editing it.

Cheers
    Ronny

27. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

This is a nice idea. If people want to share resource files with me I will be happy to put on Gaia web site.

Initially terrain. No reason it couldn't work on mesh as well though, so will explore this. The issue is more about crunching the data to set it up.

Initially snow, then adding water.

Yes. It will detect changes to the terrain and then re-crunch its internal data. I am working at optimising this at the moment. Painting the terrain will be real time.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Mark_01 likes this.
  28. gideoncresswell

gideoncresswell

@AdamGoodrich are there any issues with Gaia and Unity 5.6 you know of? I've recently updated Unity and wanted to create a brand new environment. After importing Gaia 1.5.3 I got a 5 warnings in the console, and then going back to basics and following the quick start guide, things just don't appear like they used to! I only see my ground if I click the "Stamper" in the hierarchy, I can't seem to spawn anything, and even clicking on something like "Create Camera Effects" gives me a warning to tell me I need to import the standard assets -> effects. which I've already done.

Maybe I'm just being dumb but the steps in the easy start document just seemed to work before! Thanks.

29. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

None that I am aware of - I have had no issues using it. You do need to do the automatic upgrade however.

I tend not to use the old FX as I far prefer the new ones. Maybe Unity changed them, so I will look into it. I will be upgrading all the FX stuff to the new post FX in Gaia 2.0 as they are far better imho.

Also, with 5.6, I though the new progressive light mapping would be awesome, but instead found it to be very flakey - on the first scene I tried it with it caused Unity to crash - every single time!!

I spoke with one of the Unity terrain engineers, and apparently baked terrain shadows won't be in until 2017.1 - which is a real pity as distant shadows on the terrain are a must to create immersive environments.

Mark_01 likes this.
  30. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

This is totally amazing. Being able to work on the terrain already having the shader activated. This already makes the asset stands out!

I think for meshes the most important features are: POM / Tesselation and the weather effects like Snow and later on water. Because normally on meshes you don't need the whole blending Perlin / UV Mapping stuff to reduce tiling. Except your terrain is a Mesh of course.

Every answer of you is making the waiting a torture!
    Cheers
    Ronny

31. Quast

Quast

What we can do ? wait for the new update. If you released G2 now. many customers will complain . U5.6 still unstable for me. I'm using U5.5.3 version and its good. Adam, don't hurray, wait till unity get stable, and this may take months. :confused:

Ryuichi173 likes this.
  32. elbows

elbows

Disagree. The Progressive Lightmapper is listed as an experimental feature in 5.6 and as such I dont think people should be waiting for it to become mature in 5.6.

33. camta005

camta005

I'm having this exact same problem. I have the villages pack from Backwoods Gaming and the stamps are correctly installed in the Gaia villages folder, but the random terrain generator never selects them regardless of the settings.

Has this been looked into?

Edit: It seems that valleys never get picked either.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  34. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

It's possible there is a bug with this - i plan to revamp this in the next release. Have you tried just selecting villages ?

35. camta005

camta005

Yes just villages (and also just valleys) with everything else set to 0. It never selects any villages or valleys. They were the only ones that seemed to never get selected.

36. evilangel89

evilangel89

I can confirm this happening too. I've tried selecting villages only.

37. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I will take a look at the code and see if i can replicate. This section grew and grew and in the end should have been implemented differently.

In the mean time - and its a hacky work around - but you could move the stamps and the stamp data into other directories to get them included in the random selection process.

I would really like to do something far more sophisticated with this, but as ever it just takes time.

evilangel89 and camta005 like this.
  38. Goodgulf

Goodgulf

Here's a Work In Progress screenshot for my next video in the "What you can do with Unity terrain and great assets like Gaia and MegaSplat"-series. Assets used (so far): Gaia, Tenkoku, Unity PostProcessing (anti-aliasing, ambient occlusion and color grading) and a bit of tinkering of my own.

upload_2017-4-9_9-9-28.png

39. evilangel89

evilangel89

Wow, I like what you've done with the mountain texture.

Mr-Logan and Goodgulf like this.
  40. Goodgulf

Goodgulf

You found the clue! :)
    I aim to publish the video next weekend.

evilangel89 and Mr-Logan like this.
  41. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Looks really nice, would you share your Post Processing settings?

42. Goodgulf

Goodgulf

Sure here we go:
    upload_2017-4-9_19-21-14.png

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  43. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

44. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Has anyone tried the new Vulkan Graphics API in Unity 5.6? I'm curious how it handles Gaia terrains with lots of trees and vegetation, compared to DX9/11/12 for instance. I'm guessing it'll be faster, but since it's still experimental, may not work for everyone. I've done some Qubemark tests between it and DX12, using the versions included in Unity 5.5 beta 4, and it certainly seemed to have a clear edge, but the test software hasn't been updated yet to check the versions shipped with 5.6.0f3. And as usual, real world results may vary.

If anyone has been brave enough to try this on a "real" project, please share how it went. Of course if you haven't, but are thinking about it, remember to back up your project first, since it will update your renderers and other graphics settings, and may make unwanted changes. :rolleyes:

45. jbooth

jbooth

I haven't tried Vulkan yet, but the Metal implementation lacks many of the features of openGL, and actually tops out at shader model 3.5. Metal is now default on OSX, so if you use any advanced shaders that previously worked on OSX, they might now be broken on Metal until you remove Metal from your list of allowed APIs. I have heard Vulkan is in a similar state.

46. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

That sounds about right. I don't think it even works in the Editor yet in Windows (at least according to this), but does that mean I can still make builds that will use Vulkan? Looks like they're prioritizing Android/Linux initially, and will flesh out other platforms later. That even makes some sense, since Android is probably the most common development platform these days, and also most in need of a graphics performance boost. Linux gets to tag along because it's related I guess. :rolleyes:

47. Porto881

Porto881

Is there any good way to convert gaia landscapes to low-poly?

48. mimminito

mimminito

49. Aress28

Aress28

Can i make with Gaia like 1 terrain (lets say 10km x 10km ) with like 4 or 5 different islands ?

50. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yes.

Here is a video tutorial i did that among other things covers creating low poly terrains.

unityunity