Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. masa045

masa045

Hi there
    I'm use gaia and gena while now
    also speedtree and some grass asset
    FPS drop to 8fps now
    I found speedtree is culprit

I wonder how to optimize speedtree
    is there good method to optimize speedtree?

thanks in advance;)

2. evilangel89

evilangel89

I would like to ask you guys something. Based on your experience with different kinds of water shaders so far, what would you recommend as the best water shader right now in terms of visual fidelity ? It doesn't have to be extremely realistic but a fair presentation would be okay.

3. evilangel89

evilangel89

Try AltTree or Critias Tree System

masa045 likes this.
  4. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

New terrain shader not far from launch!!

Same old 4 textures provided with Gaia... dial your scenes up to 11... and that snow... all procedural!

Grab 20170321210440 w1920h1029 x471y66z290r247.jpg

5. elbows

elbows

Its not likely to be CUDA because then 2 systems would have to be written (something other than CUDA for non-nvidia hardware).

Far more likely to be 'normal' shaders or compute shaders.

6. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Just compute shaders.. no device specific code.

Mark_01 and elbows like this.
  7. elbows

elbows

Cool, I love compute shaders :) Look forward to testing this on a mac once Gaia 2 is out and Unity 5.6 which brings compute shaders to mac's that support the Metal graphics API. Based on my testing of other compute-shader assets with beta versions of Unity 5.6, very little or nothing should need to be done to ensure compatibility.

8. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Cool. The system also supports multi cpu cores. So if you don't have GPU compute it will transparently drop back to CPU across all the core in your system and still scream along.. and the GPU stuff can also optionally be disabled.

Vondox and runningbird like this.
  9. masa045

masa045

thanks for reply evilangel :p
    I'll check both asset soon.
    thanks a lot !!

what kind of water shader do you like ?
    flat water shader aquas like or Tesselation water shader suimono and playway water system and hydroform ocean system.

I'm use gaia and gena and suimono and unistorm now.

best regards.

evilangel89 likes this.
  10. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

@AdamGoodrich
    Not personally interested in a free copy, I'll buy GeNa soon and the GPU modules just because I support good authors.
    That said, I do plan to put up some screenshots soon to showcase a number of fantastic assets out there and what you can do when you bring'em together. But I'm holding ransom until Gaia 2.0 release.
    However, since the discussion came up about the combinations used, I'll post my list here for those interested in advance.

Gaia, GeNa (soon), Aquas, UniStorm, MegaSplat, uNature, AltTrees, Camera Filter Effects, PBR Terrain Textures, SpeedTrees, and if I get some time I might grab EasyRoad3D to do some more natural rivers with flowmapping from Aquas.

Edit: I shamefully forgot to mention the SSMS fog that was posted a page or two back by Adam as well, I plan to bring this into the mix once I sort out other fog issues between UniStorm and Aquas (these two are the things I have the most trouble with, but also give the most value to the atmosphere and lighting).

This just covers the terrain/environment/camera stuff. Just want to say, this combination of assets can make for some absolutely amazing atmosphere that you'd never believe came from Unity. I've got a few more gems out there I'll share too after I spend some time confirming their potential.

Also another shameless plug for an outstanding asset everyone should at least take a look at, shout out there for Surforge, take a look at this beastly asset for some more terrain beautification from easy PBR texturing of more rigid props.

Also don't discount the value of things like Substance to really put that amazing touch on your texturing.

11. GuinUK

GuinUK

That snow looks incredible

Mark_01 likes this.
  12. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Many people ask this - and i think perhaps the answer is one of those dark arts!!

Here is a sample image with a lot of SpeedTrees in view, and it's running comfortably at 250 fps with Anti Aliasing and AO and Vignetting as well!!

Fast Fast.jpg

I know some people will say.. but whats your hardware .. a question I answer regularly.. and the answer is that while the hardware helps.. you can do a lot more just by taking the time to learn how to optimise your scene.

Here is a tutorial on how to optimise SpeedTree by setting it up to run with GPU instancing in your scene on Unity 5.5. Unity are focussing on vegetation at the moment so this is only going to get better in 5.6 and beyond.

http://www.procedural-worlds.com/ga...ng-speedtree-with-gpu-instancing-in-unity-55/

Vondox, Mark_01, radimoto and 4 others like this.
  13. evilangel89

evilangel89

I already own Megasplat and RTP. Both have similar features. What does the new terrain shader have in common with these two in terms of features and does it bring something new to the board? :)

tapawafo likes this.
  14. evilangel89

evilangel89

Wow thank you so much Adam.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  15. masa045

masa045

Hi adam.
    thank you for valuable information.:p
    I'm try learn optimize scene from now.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  16. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

They have different approaches and its hard to say before its released.

evilangel89 likes this.
  17. evilangel89

evilangel89

No pressure Adam. By the way just to weigh in with an idea, could you try to throw in an alpha feature that let's you create caves ? I am already doing this with both Megasplat and RTP but still not happy with either workflow.

18. JohnFoundation

JohnFoundation

So I know I should know this but I am going crazy here.

I have created a new project, imported Gaia, Aquas, Village Exteriors Kit (3DForge), Enviro and a few other assets (models mostly).

None of them appeared in the GX menu in Gaia...
    I closed and reopened Unity, Gaia itself then went missing (not in the Window menu). Went to the FAQ on the site (so glad it was there, please build upon it).

Only console error I had related to Aquas so I deleted the asset. Confirmed I had no more warnings or errors in the console and then re-imported Gaia. She was back! Then re-imported Aquas. All good there as well.

What I have still not got though is anything appearing in the GX tab (except the built in Procedural Worlds).

Any suggestions on getting the items to appear in the GX menu?

(And this was all for a NEW project (first one since building my new PC in December… was hanging out for Gaia 2.0 but want to have a go at winning Gina – know I’m not good enough to beat the compaction but dam it I’m gonna have fun trying))

19. Teila

Teila

Thank you! I already do some of this with the trees, but not all of it. Didn't even realize some of it was going on since it seems to be new since I played with terrains. Thank you! Maybe I can get my scene to run on Ryan's computer now. :)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  20. Xrystal

Xrystal

You can't create caves on unity terrains. Its either flat, mountains or valleys due to how heightmaps work.

However, you could do what some games do and that is to use objects as the cave sides and place it on the terrain. I can't recall whether I saw them put the cave object inside a hill to simulate it being in the terrain rather than on the terrain.

Voxel terrain allows you to build caves as they are 3D space rather than 2D space and uses cubes rather than planes ( at the basic level ). Even mesh terrain heightmaps can't do cave generation.

I'm sure other's could explain better and maybe even point to ways where you can simulate cave generation.

Teila likes this.
  21. Teila

Teila

This is really the only way to do it unless you go into the side of the mountain and then add a second mini terrain beneath the main terrain. Adam can't do this any better than the other guys.

If you really want a hole, you need to use a mesh rather than a Unity terrain.

GuinUK likes this.
  22. kiknchikn

kiknchikn

Adam. When is Gaia 2.0 expected to be released? I can not wait to create massive scenes with the function of terrain tiling.

23. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

The snow looks amazing. I need to see it from close up :) As an RTP User I am really eager to see what the shader is gonna bring.
    More textures, Snow, Rain / Water effects, POM / Tessalation, and Anti Tiling effects like Perlin Normal Maps / UV Blend features would be really awesome.

Can't wait.

TalkieTalkie and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  24. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hehe. Yeap. It looks very nice up close too :)

We will support 16 textures in 1 pass in initial version (limited not by us but by unity splat system which we chose not to redo simplye for speed to market and compatibility with other systems), uv mixing, perlin and global normals, procedural snow, high amount of cusomisability, tesselation & height blending.

Some things we hadn't considered yet e.g. alpha based see through (perceptual holes), rain / water, but will consider as well.

Our focus will not be on providing a kitchen sink that does everything (although the list above is quite exhaustive), but instead it will be nicely integrated, high performance, and simple UX.

RTP is am amazing shader, but for the life of me I still can't work out how to use it. That wont be the case with any solution I release. Ever!

For those of you that are interested - my partner in crime and the shader genius here is @NatureManufacture - very talented guy. The combination of of awesome terrain system matched up with awesome shader is going to be killer!

Also - while this will be integrated with Gaia it will not be part of Gaia, but instead a whole new standalone asset. This does not mean that I intend to ignore amazing terrain shaders like Distingo and Megasplat either. Distingo integration is already there, and Megasplat is coming.

Mark_01, Xrystal, evilangel89 and 3 others like this.
  25. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Well after reading about all the features and your partner in crime consider me as first buyer and tester (if you need one).
    Reading that you will work with NatureManufacture will make the Shader a 100% success. I am using lot of Assets of NatureManufacture (PBR Graveyard, Winter Textures etc) and everything is totally professional. Can't wait to see what both of you can achieve.

I am totally with you regarding RTP complexity and I always searched for something more userfriendly and perhaps little faster. Since user friendly and simple is one of the buzz words of all your Assets I am really sure your Shader will do exactly that.

I would put Rain / Water effects on top priority before alpha based see through if you ask me. Would be pretty strange to be able to use snow effects for weather systems or Winter Terrains but not being able to have water effects for rain / storm weather.

Cheers
    Ronny

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  26. lafain

lafain

Are their any API examples at all? I tried searching this thread, but only come up with GAIA extensions stuff. I'm looking to programmatically set the Random Terrain Generator values, record a play-through, and send that play-through to a client so they can recreate it. Thanks!

27. evilangel89

evilangel89

The website and tutorials there will help :) look up session playback.

28. Tazling

Tazling

I looked at RTP in the Asset Store, watched a couple of the YT videos and was wowed. I think he can even do caves/tunnels, if I am remembering the video accurately. But it sounds like it would not be recommended for a novice Unity user, if even the Council of the Wise find it overly complicated to use! Thanks for the comments as I was tempted to purchase, but now I think I'll just bide my time (and wait for stitched terrains and other goodies in the next Gaia!).

29. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

This seems odd. For the record, Gaia exposes the feature, but it is completely in the hands of the other asset publisher to use it.

I have asked @S4G4N about whats happened with his Exteriors Kit integration. Perhaps he can respond here.

The AQUAS integration should be fine. You commented that you had issues, and then re-installed it. Perhaps the re-installation did not go well. @dogmachris might be able to comment.

The Enviro integration is cool, but has not been released to the asset store yet, so that's coming soon. @Vondox when are you thinking this might get released ?? :)

As soon as I can possibly get it out there. I have added a completely new noise stamp feature which I am currently exploring. Have to say its super cool. I even reached out to some of the pioneers of procedural terrain generation to ask for input :)

My plan is to release the update in stages. The first part of it is a complete rewrite of the stamping and texturing systems which will be amazingly fast. The spawning system will already happily work on any tile so I will just integrate that into the new system. This will get it out there and into the communities hands.

After that I plan to work on the spawning system and see how much of it I can accelerate by moving onto the GPU. So the new release will actually be several new releases over a period of time.

I would like to say within a month - but in reality I will only launch when I think its good enough. A lot of work has already gone into it and I want this to be something special, so I am taking the time I need to craft a system that I am proud of. My plan is to deliver something that elicits a WOW reaction and the downside of this is that it takes time :)

Thanks for the suggestion. Its now on the list.

The problem with caves is that Unity terrain doesn't support holes, so whether it's RTP or something else, it's always going to be a complex and kludgy hack. I have some ideas on this I would like to explore - but that's another product for another day :)

The current Gaia can be controlled via API, but it's never been promoted that way and consequently there is no good material out there. If you look at the main classes however you will find that all of the methods themselves are reasonably well documented. Look for RuntimeStamper.cs for a sample on using it for runtime stamping.

I want Gaia 2 however to be a design time and run time system that can also be programatically controlled, so I have paid a lot more attention to the way I have been labeling and documenting my methods. The API's in this new release will not be backwards compatible.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  30. Moe-Mogare

Moe-Mogare

I need some assistance. First time user of Gaia starting to learn the tutorial today. For some reason the stamper is in the color blue. I don't know why. https://imagebin.ca/v/3Gc3ZirHjYCr

31. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Sounds like your stamper got messed up somehow.

Try deleting stamper and adding a new one from Advanced -> Create Your Terrain -> Show Stamper.

Moe-Mogare likes this.
  32. Vedrit

Vedrit

While that is possible, I've noticed that even when using the stamper, sometimes the water preview will be visible, which is what I think is happening here. I haven't found any related problems, though.

33. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Water preview is meant to be there - its a visual aid for stamping as all spawning is done relative to that.

34. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Some of the new new noise stamp examples :)

i1543^cimgpsh_orig.jpg

i1541^cimgpsh_orig.jpg

35. Moe-Mogare

Moe-Mogare

Thanks for the fast Response! Unfourtanly it didn't help. Is the terrain suppose to be transparent? In your tutorial, I can see your terrain. i can't barely see mine.

36. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Something sounds very wrong with your setup. Please delete Gaia, re-install, and then follow the quickstart guide. Let me know how you go.

37. Tazling

Tazling

wowza. "Arrakis... Dune... Desert planet." very evocative.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  38. JohnFoundation

JohnFoundation

(Sorry, yep did know about Enviro integration was just getting ahead of my self - was meaning AQUAS and 3d Forge).

OK, so just sharing what I found, I went back to the drawing board and started again from scratch with a new project and followed the same original steps... this time everything worked. The only difference being the project name (and therefore shorter path name). It appears as though something somewhere didn't like the name (Unity, Gaia, AQUAS and\or 3DForge, the Borg Collective - who knows).

To make sure I was not crazy I was able to reproduce the original issue again when I used a longer name (and path).

Anyway, just wanted to share in case other have similar issues in the future.

Adam, thank you again for getting back to me - your support is amazing.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  39. Vondox

Vondox

Currently polishing settings and will send 1.7 with gaia extension to store this weekend. :)

40. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Not sure if you have seen this - but its the latest update from the Crowfall channel... still pre-beta but I am super pumped by this game - i reckon its going to be huge!

Oh... and they use Gaia :)

41. lafain

lafain

Awesome! ...and, well crap. Any rough, rough time frame for Gaia 2 or is that a verboten question?

42. Xrystal

Xrystal

That was what I was thinking too .. well the desert part .. .I was envisioning the wind blowing the sand.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  43. Xrystal

Xrystal

Oh cool, I checked them a couple of weeks back and could see nothing really new on the Big World Builder rewrite since the last one I saw.

44. evilangel89

evilangel89

@Vondox @AdamGoodrich thank you both for this.

Adam, Hendrick himself is great with integration and naturally Enviro already has integrations with RTP and Lux terrain shaders with fascinating results.

The combination of dynamic weather to create snow and puddles is pure visual epicness. May be you could integrate your upcoming terrain shader with Enviro.

@Vondox have you thought about Megasplat integration at some point? I know I've been pestering you for it long since Haha xD this community is the biggest reason :)

Vondox and AdamGoodrich like this.
  45. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I can introduce them - Jason is awesome guy.

There is some cool new stuff coming soon :)

46. Vondox

Vondox

Of course! I already planned to add an integration component for your MegaSplat shaded terrains to enviro aswell. I will contact Jason and keep you updated.

evilangel89 likes this.
  47. GuinUK

GuinUK

I've just watched the AI Pathfinding improvements with Unity 5.6.

Do we think it will work well with Unity Terrain (Gaia) without the need for additional assets?

48. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I think it is probably too early to speculate. You'd kind of need a few folks using it and providing input before really being able to provide an opinion. Would be nice if it did. If it ends up working well with Unity terrain without requiring additional assets, it should with Gaia as well. A better place to probably ask this question might be the beta forums where people are actually playing around with it and see what their experience has been on Unity terrain and if they are ONLY using the internal AI pathfinding.

GuinUK likes this.
  49. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

It says that is supports procedural terrain - so runtime should be fine.

50. evilangel89

evilangel89

TL: DR; If it works with Unity Terrains it works with Gaia.

Gaia doesn't modify the Unity Terrain in a way that's non-compliant. Think of it as an API that Unity should honestly have had since the beginning of time. Adam has always said that once you've created your Terrain you can safely delete Gaia. Right @AdamGoodrich ?