Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GAC-Great Animation Combos System for Unity 2D/3D (GAC ACCESS IS HERE)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by crafTDev, Jul 30, 2013.

1. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

I just want to post about an error reported to me that was introduced in the current version that prevents the Use As Starter button from working correctly. So if you update to 1.9.2 before, just contact me and I will send you a fix. I am working on sending in 1.9.3 to send to Unity today that has a few more bug fixes.

Thanks,
    jrDev

Too-Nerd-To-Die likes this.
  2. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

New update 1.9.3 submitted to the Asset Store that brings a few fixes and changes:

Version 1.9.3
    -Added compatability with Control Freak 2; Control Freak 1 compatability has been moved into an Asset Package to load in if needed
    -Changed all of GAC's animation frame checks to use the new InAnimationFrameRange call
    -Changed the InAnimationFrameRange animationName value to determine if using layer string or not and processes accordingly
    -Changed name of JrDevUtilities ShowGACTexture to just ShowTexture for compatability with other JrDevAssets
    -Fixed an error in GAC_UIController when trying to build using UNITY_EDITOR only scripts compiles
    -Fixed an error introduced in 1.9.2 that prevented the Use As Starter button from working properly

Will also be on Sellfy momentarily!

Thanks,
    jrDev

3. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

First off, just wanted to update that a small reported fix was sent to Asset Store for version 1.9.4:

Version 1.9.4
    -Changed the Character Controller Movement Component Type to allow usage without Mecanim character having an Avatar

Secondly, for this weekend, all of JrDevarts assets will be 50% including GAC. http://bit.ly/JrDevartsAssetStore So take advantage because big things are coming around the corner for v2.0. For eg all new runtime API that allows you to create combos using code. This will also be a great companion for the visual scripting tools currently supported! It's in Beta now and going smoothly so if anyone is interested they can contact me for early copy.

Thanks,
    jrDev

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  4. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

A reminder to stretch those dollars with the JrDevarts Independence Weekend sale 50% OFF all assets! Ends Soon! AssetStore

Thanks,
    jrDev

5. keepthachange

keepthachange

I'm getting a few error codes when adding to my player the player has character system pack

Invalid Layer Index '1'
    UnityEngine.Animator:GetLayerName(Int32)
    JrDevArts_Utilities:GetCurrentAnimatorStateName(List`1, Dictionary`2, Animator, Int32) (at Assets/JrDevAssets/Utilities/JrDevArts_Utilities.cs:1135)
    JrDevAssets.GAC:Update() (at Assets/JrDevAssets/GAC - GreatAnimationCombos/Plugins/GAC.cs:1435)

Invalid Layer Index '1'
    UnityEngine.Animator:GetCurrentAnimatorStateInfo(Int32)
    JrDevArts_Utilities:GetCurrentAnimatorStateName(List`1, Dictionary`2, Animator, Int32) (at Assets/JrDevAssets/Utilities/JrDevArts_Utilities.cs:1139)
    JrDevAssets.GAC:Update() (at Assets/JrDevAssets/GAC - GreatAnimationCombos/Plugins/GAC.cs:1435)

Invalid Layer Index '1'
    UnityEngine.Animator:GetLayerName(Int32)
    JrDevArts_Utilities:GetCurrentAnimatorStateName(List`1, Dictionary`2, Animator, Int32) (at Assets/JrDevAssets/Utilities/JrDevArts_Utilities.cs:1135)
    JrDevAssets.GAC:Update() (at Assets/JrDevAssets/GAC - GreatAnimationCombos/Plugins/GAC.cs:1454)

Invalid Layer Index '1'
    UnityEngine.Animator:GetCurrentAnimatorStateInfo(Int32)
    JrDevArts_Utilities:GetCurrentAnimatorStateName(List`1, Dictionary`2, Animator, Int32) (at Assets/JrDevAssets/Utilities/JrDevArts_Utilities.cs:1139)
    JrDevAssets.GAC:Update() (at Assets/JrDevAssets/GAC - GreatAnimationCombos/Plugins/GAC.cs:1454)

Invalid Layer Index '1'
    UnityEngine.Animator:GetLayerWeight(Int32)

6. keepthachange

keepthachange

he has 3 different animators on him, could this be the issue?

7. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey,

How is this possible? I'm unaware of Unity allowing you to have 3 animators on one object.

Thanks,
    jrDev

keepthachange likes this.
  8. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello guys,

Just wanted to let you know and apologize that I have been slow on the email responses because I have been preparing for my wedding for the past 2 weeks and now have taken a small vacation this week. I will still try to keep up with all emails but bare with me please, I am not ignoring you.

Thanks for your understanding,
    jrDev

9. keepthachange

keepthachange

Congrats on the wedding.I myself am getting married this weekend, so I know the crazyness that comes with it.

10. crafTDev

crafTDev

Congrats to you too!

And hey guys,
    Just wanted to let you know I am back and working on new updates. Any errors or bugs, just post in the forums or shoot me an email.

Thanks,
    jrDev

11. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know v1.9.5 has been released with some bug fixes and changes!

Version 1.9.5
    -Changed the facing direction detection API for 2D sprites, modified API now properly Gets and Sets the right facing direction
    -Changed the way the Target Tracker handles hit movement when kinematic is set to true, it disables for movement then resets the value
    -Fixed a bug that didn't account for gameobject's Y position when using the Target Tracker to place the hit vertices
    -Fixed a bug that prevented the use of delayed animation when using the same activator number in the same sequence
    -Other small bugs and fixes

Thanks,
    jrDev

12. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys!

Just wanted everyone to know GAC is on Level11 sale 50% off this month!

Also I have a new surprise I will post about in a few hours! Stay Tuned!

Thanks,
    jrDev

movra, kurotatsu and keepthachange like this.
  13. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Hi @jrDev , this looks like a fantastic asset but I am wondering if is compatible with popular TP controllers such as Opsive's TP Controller? Would it be possible to use the TP controller for all movement etc, but GAC for the actual combos?

14. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hi Hamesh81,

Kurotatsu from post 328 in this thread is using his own Motion Controller with GAC, so I'm sure you can do this. GAC only uses the Animations that you want, only movement is when you allow GAC to move while animating.

Thanks,
    jrDev

TeagansDad likes this.
  15. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Ok sure that sounds good @jrDev . I have some more questions if you don't mind.

1) Is there a way to use different contexts for the hit detection? In other words instead of playing a combo animation based on a context, playing a hit animation based on a context. For example, if the enemy (not the player) is crouching and they are hit by a combo, a hit animation will play; but if the enemy is standing and they are hit by the same combo a different hit animation will play. This would also be useful for when the enemy is blocking, is stunned or has been knocked into the air, the hit animations in those cases should be different to if the enemy is simply standing.

2) I noticed in the documentation that only 5 contexts can be used per activator (if I understood correctly). For the project I'm working on there are 2 attack buttons (left hand attack, right hand attack). Based on which weapon is equipped in either hand the same button will play a different attack animation eg. fist = jab, knife = slash, sword = stab etc. I have about 30 different weapons which I assume would need 30 different contexts for the same button. Would this 5 context limit prevent me from doing this, or is there another way?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  16. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey,

Sorry I missed this alert.

1. There is currently no context for hit detection in this version. The coming version will have context hit detection.

2. No, the way it works is that each Activator has the animation you would want to play depending on the weapon (the context set say sword) you would want to use. So you would have 30 activators with the different weapons and when you set the sword activator to only play when context 'Weapon' string is equal to "sword" that would be the only activator triggered.

Thanks,
    jrDev

Hamesh81 likes this.
  17. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Just a reminder that it is a little over a week left for the SALE!

Thanks,
    jrDev

18. crafTDev

crafTDev

Happy Turkey Day to all!

Thanksgiving,
    jrDev

19. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

CYBER SALE IS ON FOR 12 HRS ONLY ON SELLFY!
    GRAB RIGHT NOW FOR AN UNBELIEVABLE DEAL!

Thanks,
    jrDev

20. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Reminder less than 6 HRs to go for the Sellfy Cyber Sale!

Thanks,
    jrDev

21. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Level11 sale ends in less than 24 hrs! Go go go!

Thanks,
    jrDev

22. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Thanks for another successful sale!

I also want to announce GAC Access, where you get download Betas and previous versions of GAC using your purchase Invoice number!

Here is the link: GAC Access

Thanks,
    jrDev

23. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys!

Here is a peek at the new Animation Menu for v2.0:

The pics show the new:
    -Character Attributes Setup Window
    -Character Attributes File
    -Animation Scrubber
    -Multi-Hit, Sound, and Movement triggers
    -Animation Events system
    -In Editor Help buttons "?" with the info in the yellow box of the 3rd pic.

If you want early access to test this, go to the GAC Access page on the web site.

Thanks,
    jrDev

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Alexarah, Hamesh81 and kurotatsu like this.
  24. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Looks great!

I have a small suggestion/question. Whenever I've played combo based games, when an attack misses/whiffs you can hear a "whoosh" sound effect, while when an attack hits you can hear a "smack" sound effect. I'm not sure if only one of the two is played based on whether the attack has hit or missed, or if I simply cannot hear the "whoosh" because the "smack" is louder.

I ask because at the moment it only appears to be possible to add a single sound clip for each attack. It would be very handy to be able to implement multiple sound effects per animation. I realize this is possible via animation events, but having this set all in GAC is much more intuitive than going through each clips settings one by one.

kurotatsu likes this.
  25. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey @Hamesh81,

The pic above shows just that haha. The Sound Triggers section allows you to add up to 5 sound effects per animation in v2.0. :)

Thanks,
    jrDev

Alexarah and kurotatsu like this.
  26. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Awesome news!! :D

Just curious, will these new sound triggers play the sound irrespective of if the animation hit the target or will it be possible to specify which of the 5 is the "hit" sound?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  27. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey,

That actually isn't part of the current Sound Triggers. It's a great suggestion that I will just add into v2.0 before release though.

Thanks,
    jrDev

Alexarah and Hamesh81 like this.
  28. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello guys,

Just want to let you know that the jrdevarts.com website is temporarily down. I'm currently changing hosts and it's taking longer than I thought. If you have any questions. Just email me at eturgott.jrdevarts at gmail.com. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
    jrDev

kurotatsu likes this.
  29. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Hiya @jrDev :D

Been a while.

I just released my new AI (AI Warrior, you can see it in my sig.) and was thinking of adding G.A.C to my next featured asset video, Yay(time to bust out some serious combos on these guys.lol).

Currently my only problem is I'm using InControl, and when I make a parameter context variable that is in my animator controller, as soon as I hit apply in the activator menu, the gac component goes blank, and I get these two errors:
    gacError2.PNG

gacError1.PNG

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    GAC_Editor_InControl.ContextOutOfRange () (at Assets/JrDevAssets/GAC - GreatAnimationCombos/Input Sources/InControl/Editor/GAC_Editor_InControl.cs:21535)
    GAC_Editor_InControl.Initialize () (at Assets/JrDevAssets/GAC - GreatAnimationCombos/Input Sources/InControl/Editor/GAC_Editor_InControl.cs:599)
    GAC_Editor_InControl.OnEnable () (at Assets/JrDevAssets/GAC - GreatAnimationCombos/Input Sources/InControl/Editor/GAC_Editor_InControl.cs:142)

Assets/JrDevAssets/GAC - GreatAnimationCombos/Input Sources/InControl/Editor/GAC_Editor_InControl.cs:21535)
    GAC_Editor_InControl.Initialize () (at Assets/JrDevAssets/GAC - GreatAnimationCombos/Input Sources/InControl/Editor/GAC_Editor_InControl.cs:599)
    GAC_Editor_InControl.GACEditor () (at Assets/JrDevAssets/GAC - GreatAnimationCombos/Input Sources/InControl/Editor/GAC_Editor_InControl.cs:514)
    GAC_Editor_InControl.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/JrDevAssets/GAC - GreatAnimationCombos/Input Sources/InControl/Editor/GAC_Editor_InControl.cs:317)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1233)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    crafTDev likes this.
  30. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey @kurotatsu,

Great to hear from you. I will take a look at this and get back to you.

Thanks,
    jrDev

kurotatsu likes this.
  31. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey @kurotatsu,

I responded to you on Skype with the fixed package. Sending the update to Unity to fix this now.

Thanks,
    jrDev

kurotatsu likes this.
  32. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Thanks, for the assist. I'll be posting back when I have G.A.C. in my next featured asset video.

33. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Here is a peek at the new Combo Setup Menu:

Very clean, simple and intuitive now. More to come!

Thanks,
    jrDev

Hamesh81 and kurotatsu like this.
  34. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Looking sharp, skype me if ya need a tester, on the InControl version is in.

35. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Website is back up and Beta15 of GAC 2.0 from GAC Access is up. Remember to contact me if you want access to Betas and old versions so I can authorize.

Thanks,
    jrDev

36. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Awesome.

I'm on skype if you want to shoot me a copy.

37. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Hi @jrDev , I have a question about setting up dual attacks for single activators. If this feature is currently not possible it's ok I just wanted to double check.

I have several attack animations which use 2 limbs to attack. Think of a dual wield sword swipe, or a spinning kick that uses both legs one after the other. Since either limb visually hits on different frames, I'm wondering if there is a way to set multiple hit begins for the one animation, eg. hit at frames 5-7 does 20 damage and hit at frames 10-12 does 15 damage.

From your previous V2 screenshot this does look possible but I wanted to double check.

38. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey Hamesh81,

This is only possible in v2.0. If you want access to Beta let me know.

Thanks,
    jrDev

kurotatsu likes this.
  39. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Ok great, just wanted to check if it will be possible. Thanks

kurotatsu likes this.
  40. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Here is a look at the new GUI for Activator Setup Menu!

This can be found it the new beta 16 available now from GAC-Access!

Thanks,
    jrDev

TeagansDad and kurotatsu like this.
  41. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys!

More pics for the new GUI Activators. Release is getting close! :D

Only small changes left for the UI in the Activators Setup Menu, like InEditor help buttons and some missing Non-essential GUI which will be fixed soon. An easy upgrade path from GAC 1.9 for the 3rd Party asset Activators has also been added so no loss of 3rd party Activator usage. The only unfortunate change is that all Sync and Sequence activators need to be re-added because of an update of the new API (I will look into a more elegant way to try and fix this though if I can before official release). The new beta will be up by tomorrow and also will reduce the constant repainting of the GUI that made your CPU work hard lol!

Thanks,
    jrDev

42. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Check out this very cool new feature coming to Beta 18:

Notice how the "The Activators:" option menu floats when you scroll? Now you don't need to scroll back to the top to perform the necessary tasks from the menu. These floating menus will be available for all the Menus. More to come.

Thanks,
    jrDev

recon0303 likes this.
  43. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Here is a new look at the Object Target Menu, once a separated section and was called Target Tracker but now part of the one window of CAS(Character Attributes Setup) window; the main window.

This window has a lot of options for your character to give and receive hits, the Damage slots now have a sound effect, and you will also be able to have context variables on them. This is an early look and some GUI will change but here it is. What's left to add is the custom Batman Arkham games target and combo setup; where your character will target the enemy you are facing then move towards them and you can dynamically increase the distance based on your combo meter so the player can continue comboing from across the screen. Look for more updates later!

Thanks,
    jrDev

Hamesh81 likes this.
  44. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Hi @jrDev, very excited about the new features coming to GAC, keep up the great work! I am working with charged activators at the moment and wanted to ask if the following is possible.

I would like to create a "Super" style attack which does 90% damage in one hit. To not make it overpowered, the attack will need to be charged for 2 entire seconds first. Once the relevant button has been held for 2 seconds, releasing it will launch the attack. However I would like the player to be able to cancel this charge during the 2 seconds if that makes sense. So for example, the player decides to start charging but after one second realize their attack won't hit and so press another button to cancel the charged attack and reset to their normal idle. Then if they want to charge again they need to wait another 2 seconds. I'm having trouble working out how to do this, is there a way?

45. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

I am now back from vacation, was replying to as much emails I can read and respond; sorry guys for inconvenience.

Thanks,
    jrDev

46. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello Hamesh81,

This is a good suggestion, I will look into working this in the upcoming version. The upcoming version will have a Disable/Enable activators option for manual disables/enables. Currently you would have to use a context variable that would disable the activator for a certain time.

Thanks,
    jrDev

Hamesh81 and Prefab like this.
  47. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

That sounds great jrDev, thank you. I'm looking forward to the new version even more now :)

48. recon0303

recon0303

Question about this asset, has anyone used this with Puppet Master? Kinda surprised , its not already supported, but I also understand its impossible and a pain to support everything. This has been on my wish list ever since a few people that I know own it and showed me what it can do, being an animator I tend to a lot of this myself, but looks like you still can do alot even though I'm an animator, and save me a lot of time, I look for control and by looking at your asset looks like I have a ton of control...I use Motion Controller for one of my games.

49. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey,

Ok, so it's a ragdoll physics asset. Since I am not familiar with it, what specifically would you like to be implemented that wouldn't work out of box with GAC?

Thanks,
    jrDev

50. recon0303

recon0303

never used GAC so can't comment, its something, I been looking at buying. Since a user pointed this my direction one day as we where talking about animations. Looked like they would work well together as Puppet Master is really nice for melee, hit reactions and stuff like that.