Search Unity

GAC-Great Animation Combos System for Unity 2D/3D (GAC ACCESS IS HERE)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by crafTDev, Jul 30, 2013.

1. crafTDev

crafTDev

Check out the Official Website and Forum!
    FOLLOW TWITTER @jrDevarts for Update Tweets!

GET THE LATEST 2.0 VERSION USING GAC ACCESS LINK BELOW!

NOTE: Backup current projects before importing. Read release notes if updating from a version below 1.6. Delete the previous version JrDevAssets folder before importing new versions.

Want to create an action game that allows you to perform combos? The GAC (Great Animation Combos) System is created just for that. Create 3D/2D games that take your animations and seamlessly provides cool combo sequences to your players. This asset comes packed with features to get your games up and running (and combo-ing) with a few clicks and minimal coding.

After months of development and recoding, the GAC system has launched on the asset store and now on Sellfy :)

Features:
    • NEW! 3rd Party Plugins Setup Menu- Add access to supported 3rd party Assets with just button clicks
    • NEW! Charged Activators-Hold down a specific activator input and release in time to provide a different animation attack
    • NEW! Debug Input Response Times-Allows the adjustment of input response times giving even more customized control.
    • 3rd Party Activator Support- InControl, NEW! Control Freak, and NEW! uGUI supported! (InControl & Control Freak sold separately by their respective owners)
    • Context Variables- Use context variables to add conditions to Combos and Activators for limitless combo creations
    • Target Tracker Hit Detections- Use the tracker to have game objects react to hits with different animations and movements by calculating the distance and angle
    • Unity Physics Compatible- Use Unity's physics system in conjunction with GAC with 3 different component modes
    • uScript and Playmaker Support- Use uScripts nodes and Playmaker states to call your activators! (uScript & Playmaker sold separately by their respective owners)
    • Mobile Support - Support for building to mobile devices using the Touch Gestures (PC/Mac, Android and iOS Supported)
    • Unity2D Compatible- Select a Movement Component Type to build in 3D or 2D officially supporting Unity Sprites that work with Mecanim
    • Sequence-Activators- Activate inputs in a sequence that trigger animations (eg. Down>Forward>P) for advanced combo creations
    • Sync-Activators- Combine inputs to trigger simultaneously (eg. A+S pressed together) for advanced combo creations
    • Multiplayer Support- Setup multiplayer gameplay by calling GAC on specific game objects
    • Delayed Animations- Create combos that link into animations when input event is delayed (eg. A, A...(wait)...A)
    • Mecanim Support- Add your animation states to use for combos. GAC plays well with states setup for other uses (Idle, Run etc)
    • Activator Setup Menu- Scripting basic events not required, do activator input setups through the inspector
    • Animation Linking - Combine your attack animations to create cool combos
    • Affect Specific Gameobject Layers - Customize what your animations can affect
    • Preview Animation Combo Setups with the intuitive GAC-PAC (Preview Animation Combos) Window
    • Full Source Code Access!
    Planned/Upcoming Features:
    • Follow Development Features on Trello
    • ANY 3rd PARTY ASSET YOU WANT SUPPORTED! LET ME KNOW!
    • ANY questions feel free to contact me at eturgott.jrdevarts@gmail dot com, I will try my best to help any problems and get back to you as soon as I can.
    • ALSO you can contact me on Skype. PM or email me asking for Skype name with your Skype name to confirm.

Video Overview v1.9:

CLICK FOR GAC TUTORIAL VIDEOS PLAYLIST

Documentation NOTE: This PDF Documentation is currently only for v1.6. It is missing some updated features. Working on brand new online docs.

Official Webpage

Version History:

Version 1.9.6rc 8/28/19
    -Added AutoPlayModeSetup tool to JrDevArts Utilities folder; use this to set the scene to default play from when Play mode is entered. Find in Window/JrDevAssets/Tools/Set As First Scene
    -Updated for Unity 2019.2 Compatibility
    -Updated GACPAC Window location, now in Window/JrDevAssets/GAC/PAC
    -Updated GAC_TAGPreview Window location, now in Window/JrDevAssets/GAC/TAG -Updated JrDevArts_Utilities to Version 31
    -Fix GACMissingScriptsReplace error for isPrefab after updating JrDevArts_Utilities
    -Fix GACPac delegate error -New UI and features coming in 2019

Version 1.9.5 8/26/16
    -Changed the facing direction detection API for 2D sprites, modified API now properly Gets and Sets the right facing direction
    -Changed the way the Target Tracker handles hit movement when kinematic is set to true, it disables for movement then resets the value
    -Fixed a bug that didn't account for gameobject's Y position when using the Target Tracker to place the hit vertices
    -Fixed a bug that prevented the use of delayed animation when using the same activator number in the same sequence
    -Other small bugs and fixes

Version 1.9.4 6/30/16
    -Changed the Character Controller Movement Component Type to allow usage without Mecanim character having an Avatar

Version 1.9.3 5/9/16
    -Added compatability with Control Freak 2; Control Freak 1 compatability has been moved into an Asset Package to load in if needed
    -Changed all of GAC's animation frame checks to use the new InAnimationFrameRange call
    -Changed the InAnimationFrameRange animationName value to determine if using layer string or not and processes accordingly
    -Changed name of JrDevUtilities ShowGACTexture to just ShowTexture for compatability with other JrDevAssets
    -Fixed an error in GAC_UIController when trying to build using UNITY_EDITOR only scripts compiles
    -Fixed an error introduced in 1.9.2 that prevented the Use As Starter button from working properly

Version 1.9.2 4/21/16
    -Added Rewired Support
    -Added a 0.5s buffer for Sequence Activator triggering making it easier to trigger sequence activators
    -Added the option to choose initially to use child objects as the animation root for GAC to retrieve animations from
    -Changed the required direction range to be smaller at 0.1 to trigger joystick/dpad direction recognition easier
    -Changed the names of the Playmaker and uScript Actions and Nodes so they don't clash if in same project
    -Fixed error in the Input Response Debug that prevented the GUI from updating unless selected
    -Fixed a few Legacy Animation bugs that were missed in the previous version
    -Fixed the OwnerDefault bugs with the Playmaker Actions
    -Fixed a bug to catch if Activator animation index goes out of range
    -Fixed a bug to catch if Starter popup index goes out of range
    -Fixed a bug that had the animations reference prepopulated before adding from the animation slots, which broke activator setups
    [/Quote]
    FAQS

Known Bugs

Feedback is always appreciated, let me know what you think!

Thanks,
    jrDev

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  2. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Sorry for the announcement of GAC and the long wait of release. After the announcement, I thought up a really good feature to add to GAC so I decided to hold off release until it's ready. This feature will allow you too see possible combos that can be done based on your setup of animations. Unfortunately, the feature is taking longer than I thought (I actually thought it would be easy to implement). I am closer to finishing up and just wanted to let anyone that is interested in GAC know this.

Thanks.

3. Steviebops

Steviebops

This sounds interesting, Im looking at combo systems at the moment.

4. crafTDev

crafTDev

Yep, the project is not dead if anyone is thinking because of lack of updates. The feature that I delayed the release for has been added but I am currently trying to work out the bugs and the performance of the asset. I will be looking to do a beta on it later too to make sure the kinks are worked out.

Stay tuned!

5. crafTDev

crafTDev

OK guys, I am a week away from finishing the asset, but I need your input. Should I leave it up to the developer to have as much animations in a combo or should I limit the amount of animations that can be combined to create a combo? If I should limit, what would the best limit be, 30 animations? 40? 50? Let me know please.

I will start posting pics in a few days of the redone/redesigned GAC System. After finishing, give me atleast a week to get promotional materials and guide done. Look forward to more info this week.
    So excited! :)

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  6. Steviebops

Steviebops

Personally, I wouldn't need that many, but other devs might. Killer Instinct has massive combos if I remember, and some games like Tekken had the occasional infinite, so if we look at the history of fighting games as a whole, there's a solid argument for an open-ended system.

Is there a case to be made for limits? I think it's up to you, as it's your tech.
    Do you have your own pros/cons from that side of things?

7. crafTDev

crafTDev

I don't even realize why I am asking this, since yes you are correct about the combos being pretty long in fighting games. It's decided then I will leave it up to the developers. Thanks for the input!

8. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys, here is a sneak peek of the new and improved GAC System:

Stay Tuned! I am working on getting this all done in one more week, give or take. I will post a quick overview trailer sometime this week too.

9. crafTDev

crafTDev

New Preview of the GAC System, introducing the GAC-PAC (Preview Animation Combos) Window:

GAC System is almost ready. Now to full on test mode and working on the docs and videos. Look forward to launch next week.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  10. crafTDev

crafTDev

So I am still testing out the asset and finding small bugs and squashing them just to make sure the quality of the asset is good with little to no bugs for launch. Look forward to an Overview video later this week (tomorrow?). Launch is drawing close.

Thanks.

11. crafTDev

crafTDev

So submitting to Unity got pushed back to Monday so I will be polishing up more over this weekend. I've updated to OP with launch features and planned upcoming stuff. Let me know if you have a request. I'm going to upload the overview video tomorrow too.

Thanks.

12. Steviebops

Steviebops

Sounds good. How long does the submission process take, just out of curiosity?

13. crafTDev

crafTDev

It all depends. My first assets I submitted showed up within a day or two but I've been reading some stuff takes up to a week or even more if Unity has a problem with the asset.

14. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Here is the Overview Video, posting this from my phone cause my MacBook has charger problems smh. I haven't sent the asset to Unity yet either because stuff came up yesterday and I couldn't get to work on the documentation. I will finish the docs tonite though and see if I can upload the asset after I borrow my GF MacBook charger. So sit tight and watch the video for what the GAC System has to offer. Thanks.
    [video=youtube_share;PIn57SbCpI0]http://youtu.be/PIn57SbCpI0

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  15. crafTDev

crafTDev

The GAC System has been submitted to Unity! OP updated would more information! :D

16. crafTDev

crafTDev

So GAC has been accepted by Unity and is now on the asset store for the launch price of $30; 25% off so grab now before sale is over, check the OP for the link. I also want to let you guys know that I have DFGUI support working and I will be updating soon. The next thing on roadmap is Mecanim support!

Also tutorial videos will be uploaded within 24 hours.
    Thanks,

jrDev

17. Hendrixlt

Hendrixlt

In a lot of action games, when a character uses a combo they move forward slightly.

Does this system account for that or does it have to be in the animation?

18. KidSicarus

KidSicarus

Hey, jrDev.

Will this work well with a 2D platformer using RageTools' vector graphics (polygons)?

Thanks.

19. crafTDev

crafTDev

Yes, the move section of the animation setup does just that. I omitted that part from the overview video but I will be explaining this in the tutorial videos.

jrDev

20. crafTDev

crafTDev

KidSicarus sorry I missed your post, but I've never used RageTools. The system works with unity animations, so as long as your animation is saved as a unity animation and added to the gameobject it should work...I will look into this for you though, give me some time.

Thanks
    jrDev

21. imtrobin

imtrobin

Make a demo to show what the system can do.

22. crafTDev

crafTDev

I have a demo that I will put up soon, shows integration with DFGUI buttons, maybe by tonite if I have time.

But I'm working on finishing the tutorial videos and adding a QuickStart guide to the docs. The demo will likely include the new update I'm launching this week with setting up activator events from the inspector so you don't have to code events like:

if(Input.GetKey(Keycode.A){
    //Do something
    }

This will also be the launch of DFGUI integration where you will be able to hook into DFGUI events to quickly setup your GUI buttons with activators right from the inspector; it's pretty cool and integrates perfectly so far. I've tested the scene with having both key input and DFGUI input working together to link combos. Stay tuned for videos :)

Thanks,

jrDev

23. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys, I uploaded the first part of the GAC tutorials. This covers just setting up the animations for use in combos. Check it out, ignore my sniffling because I had a slight cold :)

[video=youtube_share;46iMXEu7C2Y]http://youtu.be/46iMXEu7C2Y

Will upload the next one tonite and also post the docs online.

And a big thanks to the initial purchasers!

Thanks,

jrDev

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  24. crafTDev

crafTDev

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  25. crafTDev

crafTDev

So I'm planning to send the update to Unity today. Once the update hits the sale will be over so grab GAC on discount ASAP; though I expect the update to hit no later than Monday.

Here are the update notes:

Version 1.1
    -Added the new Activator Setup menu to allow setup of activators from the inspector which are called from different inputs events (Keyboard, mouse, controller, etc)
    -With the new Activator Setup menu comes support for the DFGUI assets for developers that use this GUI solution so they can setup guis with activators easily
    -Fixed a null bug that had GAC using animation slots that havent had an animation set to it yet
    -Fixed GAC_PAC Window GUI errors
    -Cleaned up unnecessary code

Thanks,
    jrDev

26. negativecap

negativecap

I need a combo system that works with mecanim state machines, is this the answer, or does it replace mecanim?

27. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello negativecap,

The current version of GAC uses the legacy animation system. Mecanim support is planned for version 1.2 which I am currently working on.

Thanks,
    jrDev

28. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys, version 1.1 has been submitted!

Just so you know, I decided to make a change on how you modify the amount of activators because it ended up working better for the project. Doing this is now global instead of animation specific, plus it's now a dropdown instead of buttons to add/minus amount. This change might break any combos set up, so backup projects, I apologize. Though with how easy the workflow is, just re-add combos in no time. See below pic
    $image.jpg

Also here is pic for the Activator menu
    $image.jpg
    Each initial you see corresponds with the input type: K - Keyboard, M - Mouse, B - Button (Input Manager), and DF - Daikon Forge GUI.

Remember to take advantage of sale before price goes back to $40 early next week.

Thanks,
    jrDev

29. Steviebops

Steviebops

Looks good, Im hoping to buy tomorrow. I am making a one-one-one fighting game, with multiplayer, so Im also having to consider network stuff.

Have you tried this system in a network project? Im looking at Photon for a MP solution, but Im naturally mostly concerned at syncing the animations. Will GAC let me send the animation state across a network easily?

30. crafTDev

crafTDev

Version 1.1 has launched on Asset store with the awesome Activator Setup menu that will save a lot of time setting basic input events. Plus DFGUI support!

jrDev

31. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey Steviebops, I haven't used Photon with GAC yet but since you brought it up, I will have to do my own tests.

Thanks.
    jrDev

32. Steviebops

Steviebops

Im getting an error with GAC_Editor_DF.cs

'The type or namespace name `dfEventBinding' could not be found.'

How do I solve this?

33. Steviebops

Steviebops

Also, will GAC support animation blending? At the moment the transition is very jerky, and creating animations with only one transition in mind isn't a flexible idea.

34. crafTDev

crafTDev

Are you using DFGUI? That means it's looking for a DFGUI script..

Actually, animation blending is a mistaken omission, I will add ASAP and it will be sent to asset store this week for update.
    Sorry.

Thanks,
    jrDev

35. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey Steviebops, I just want to follow up and find out if you fixed your error. There are 2 Editor scripts provided in the Input Sources folder, the default is GAC_Editor.cs script which I put as an asset file called GAC_Default_Editor.asset if needed to reload. The other one called GAC_DFGUI_Editor.asset is for those who want to use DFGUI as an input source too. To do so you must remove the GAC_Editor.cs file and load the GAC_Editor_DF.cs file to properly use. Let me know if you have any problems.

Thanks,
    jrDev

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  36. Steviebops

Steviebops

Yes, I fixed it, I must have messed around with the DFGUI stuff. I reimported the package, and it's fine now.

37. Steviebops

Steviebops

Im having some trouble getting this to work with my other animations. How do you handle things such as idle animation and movement?

Code (csharp):
    1. public void Attack()
    2.     {
    3.         State = CharacterState.Attacking;
    4.         animation.CrossFade(attackLight.name);
    5.        // GAC.PlayTheAnimation(attackLight.name, 1);
    6.     }
    The standard
    Code (csharp):
    1.   animation.CrossFade(attackLight.name);
    works fine, but

Code (csharp):
    1. GAC.PlayTheAnimation(attackLight.name, 1);
    Causes the animation to start and then get interrupted.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  38. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey Steviebops,

The reason this happens is because of a bug.

The sequence counter was not being reset because GAC resets the sequence if absolutely no animation is playing. That was an oversight from me and thanks for reporting. Now I have added a specific animation check variable to know when no GAC animations are playing to reset the counter.

Also, just as a general update, I have discovered another bug that I am working on fixing right now for the 1.2 version coming. I'll keep you guys posted.

jrDev.

39. crafTDev

crafTDev

Also FYI make sure to put locomotion animations on a different layer and attack animations on a higher layer so the attack animations take priority. As a shameless plug, my ASE asset provides quick access to this stuff other than its speed editing features, so you could take into that if you want :p

jrDev

40. crafTDev

crafTDev

GAC is now on Sellfy for $30! Check the OP for link.

Major bug has been squashed, added animation fading, and finishing up Mecanim support. Update 1.2 will be submitted later this evening/early tomorrow. :)

Also guys, if you find the product useful don't forget to leave reviews here or asset store.

Thanks
    jrDev

41. crafTDev

crafTDev

Long awaited Mecanim Support is here! Sellfy users can grab the update now, while Asset Store users will get the update in a few hours. Here are the update notes:

Version 1.2 4/3/14
    -Added Mecanim Support. Choose between Legacy and Mecanim. Now just add animation states to the animator; no need to do transitions,
    GAC will handle that through its inspector as normal
    -Added animation blending; now select between normal playing and crossfading animations
    -Fixed a major bug in which you can continue one combo into the sequence of another longer combo of that starter
    -Fixed minor bug that did not reset sequence

There is also a new tutorial video about the Activator Menu in the OP. I have the Mecanim and Blending video tutorial I will put up in a few hours today.

Grab your updates!

Also how is it going with the Asset guys. Is it working the way you want? Let me know.

Thanks,
    jrDev

42. Steviebops

Steviebops

Still waiting for the update to appear on the Store.

43. crafTDev

crafTDev

Sorry Steviebops, doesn't seem that Unity updated the asset yet, I apologize for the delay. I did send out a PM to you with no response though.

Just want to add that you can now play a demo of what I created with the GAC system in just a few minutes. This demo uses the mecanim animations and the tutorial I have coming up for Mecanim will show how I created this demo. Here is the link: GAC DEMO

Also FYI, I have a hotfix coming for a bug I found when using Mecanim in my project and also creating this demo. Will upload in a few minutes

Thanks,

jrDev

44. crafTDev

crafTDev

Update 1.2 should be on the asset store now. Grab your updates!

Mecanim scripting is such a pain but I done some Frankenstein scripting to fix the bug I had, hopefully later on unity gives us more access to the internals of Mecanim. Hot fix 1.2.1 will be submitted tonite and will also come with a more optimized hit detection tracker and compiler error fixes, sorry about that guys...

Thanks,
    jrDev

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  45. imtrobin

imtrobin

I think your demo should make like streetfighter fireball/dragon punch combo or something like a 3rd person action game like God of War.

46. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys,

Sent a small update to Asset Store for some fixes, here is the update info:

Version 1.2.1 Hot Fix
    -Fixed compiler errors when trying to build on the JrDevArts_Utilities script
    -Fixed major bug with Mecanim animations that froze the animation frame which prevented the use of other animations in combo
    -Changed how to affect objects with hit from player character; added few optimizations for smoother fps - Removed the use of FindObjectsOfType
    -JrDevArtsUtilities.cs moved to the Plugins folder, make sure to delete from Editor folder if still there

It is up on Sellfy and will be up soon on asset store.

Thanks,

jrDev

47. crafTDev

crafTDev

So I am working on a few new updates for GAC. Coming up is Delayed animations (happens when you delay pushing button after animation finishes), Playmaker and uScript support and planned access to more stuff in the API. Also on the roadmap is support for the cInput asset available in the asset store. Exciting stuff, hope you guys are having fun.

Also here is the Mecanim tutorial video:
    [video=youtube_share;QlRvfHuJRgM]http://youtu.be/QlRvfHuJRgM

Thanks,
    jrDev

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  48. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys, for 1 week if you tweet or share GAC from the Sellfy link, you can get a 20% discount.

Here is the Sellfy link https://sellfy.com/p/bVbW/ then just click on share or tweet.

Thanks,
    jrDev

49. crafTDev

crafTDev

Remember to take advantage of this and get some Easter Weekend savings, it ends on 4/21!

Also 1.3 is close to completion with delayed combos, it's working great! :) just need to finish some polishing. I'll keep you updated over this weekend since there are more minor features planned.

Thanks,
    jrDev

50. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey guys, sorry for not updating in the past few days, was really busy with other personal stuff. Just wanted to say I have added a new minor feature for 1.3 update. I will give a full disclosure tomorrow when I plan to submit the update. Thank you to all new and current users of GAC, I appreciate the interest but let me know what you want if the product doesn't have it. Email, post in this thread since I am currently adding new features based on my project and how much productivity increase the features are giving me.

Thanks,
    jrDev