Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

FYI; Some Cryptic Crash Issues to Watch For - Particles and Lens Flares, String Settings, etc

Discussion in '5.5 Beta' started by lloydsummers, Sep 15, 2016.

1. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

I already submitted a repo for some of these. But just add 7 or 8 lens flares and look at them in the editor, the project will crash without much notification as to why. So just be aware of it. It does this in al builds too for us.

Because of the shader change (I suspect) I'm finding that particles can cause our game to crash as well. I suspect (but can't confirm because of other ongoing issues) that the particles try to use some shader that U 5.5 hates.

I also had a strange occurrence. In one scene, all the Editor-Assigned strings went from my original values (i.e. "Open the Door") to a numbered counterpart ("43215437458465546") while using Text Mode for meta files (reason: GIT). So keep an eye on your Editor strings after conversion.

Finally, I found that when U 5.5 crashes - the package sometimes "hangs" trying to load. Much like the building to a non-project folder, it just kind of doesn't say anything. If that happens to you, kill UnityHelper.exe (or delete the Library folder) and be prepared to wait for a very long rebuilding process.

I know, Unity wants us to break all of these into different threads - but I didn't (time constraints and not wanting to chase 5 different topics).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi lloydsummers,
    If you've already sent bug reports for some of the issues you've mentioned, please attach their case# to the appropriate paragraphs. As for the other points, please file individual bug reports for them, so we can process them.

3. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

The lens flare one is definitely known, we are looking at it at the moment

lloydsummers likes this.
  4. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

Yeah the lens flare is known and under review. Same with the particles.

We had our demo on Thursday, and needed Unity 5.5 for some Vive stuff. The demo is over and past, so I no longer need to use Unity 5.5 beta. --- I won't press these further. But I'll leave them here for points of reference for others :)