Search Unity

FX Camera Systems

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ForceX, Jul 10, 2011.

1. ForceX

ForceX

Update 1.4.2b

Fixes:
    1. Third Person Action Mode camera collision has been restored.

2. wicked208

wicked208

so great, thanks for awesome work

3. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

mmmm... a new pool in the package promises a swimming feature soon ... I launch a small ieda ... pressing coltroll (crouch/prone) goes down and goes to diving status.... sorry but i can't wait to increase my wish list.
    Thanks for your great job
    Max

4. ForceX

ForceX

Good idea with ctrl. I'll have to work that in. And yes swimming is now in with v1.4.2c

Edit.. CTRL diving is now included in 1.4.2c

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  5. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

I post my feedback:

- when swimming you shouldn't go up and down the water but stay on floating status (as at shoulder height). And nice could be to add a bouncing like a buoyancy effect.

- when press control you can go down on water end freely go to diving.

- when press space you can go up ..but not over the float height (shoulder height). Instead, near the end of water (when hit the border of the pool) pressing space we can jump out the water.

I hope you find something interesting in my feedback.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  6. ForceX

ForceX

Things that i am currently attempting to figure out.

1.Player cannot go above shoulder height.
    2. Only be able to jump out when near the waters edge.

The swimming system will change as i figure these things out.

7. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Wonderful!

8. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi ForceX,
    i found a issue :
    - No more "head bobbing" without weapon prefab attached or without allowing shake option enabled (or simpley removing it in demo scene).

9. ForceX

ForceX

Haha! Funny thing is it was the same thing that broke the third person action collision system. Should be fixed now, for both.

10. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

now all works!
    Max

11. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi ForceX,
    I found some issue in this new version:
    - "FX Weapon Linecast" give me an error in clicking "Scripting Overrides" settings.
    The issue should be caused by the moving of "Parent Weapon To Camera" alias "Align Weapon To Camera" into the "FX Character controller" script (GuiLayout has need cleaning).
    - I notice another strange effect on impact decal effect: it works well on terrain but now is deformed over all mesh gameobject
    - Issue also on weapon sway settings. If enabled puts weapon in wrong position "over head the player"
    Regards
    Max

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  12. ForceX

ForceX

1. Weapon_LineCast_Editor: Scripting Overrides fixed. This was leftover code for the orientation.
    2. Decals: The scale of the parent object has an effect on the distortion of the decal. When you make your real art assets make sure their scale is on a 1x1x1 basis.
    3. Sway i'll have to look at it when i get home. It has something to do that parenting is now done by the camera script.

Thanks for these finds.

13. Patriick

Patriick

Wow! Nice, thank you for sharing this...

14. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

2. I understood. thanks!
    3. The issue not appear if the Weapon is already(manually) a children of Camera
    Best regards
    Max

15. ForceX

ForceX

So I'm at work thinking about the sway problem and figured out what the problem is. Now I'm excited about the solution. I need to remove any awake and update calls for sway inside of weapon_linecast and bring them into the FX_Controller script. This will not only increase performance due to no more cross script talking, but will remove extra checks for any weapons that are not under player control.

The new system will have a default sway amount, but each weapon will have the option to override this setting with their own sway amount. While keeping all the update calls inside of FX_Controller.

Once I get home I'll get the new version uploaded.

16. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Very good news...good job!

17. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

If you must put hands on sway system, consider the possibility to add a sway effect also on MouseX and MouseY movement. (when we are not walking). This give much realism.
    Sometthing like this.
    And this is your demo with above Divinity's forum user script.

18. Hovrak

Hovrak

Awesome work. tysm for your efforts.

small request for the future possibly? an area for animation clips or sendmessage system for animations. or your thoughts on how i should approach animations with your controller. right now i am editing your script and adding in my code but with each update i redo it.

your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

19. ForceX

ForceX

@Hovark: I will be adding animation fields very soon. This will allow you to assign an animation to any motion state in the inspector. I should have this before the weekend if not this coming update.

@Sjm Tech: While I can't see the demo on my iPhone, I see what you are talking about. I agree that will be something cool to do. I'll work on that as well.

20. Hovrak

Hovrak

fricken awesome you made my day! :)

21. ForceX

ForceX

Weapon sway fix has been uploaded 1.4.2h. This just restored previous functionality and added more motion state options.

Currently working on a managed Animation system which should be ready in the next few days. All motion states will have an animation option.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  22. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi ForceX,

I was playing with footsteps sound options and i think that you could implement a system (like your impact effect decals) that plays randomly the sound effects, at least 3 per situation(3 sound for Ground...3 for ladder...etc). This features make the system much realistic.
    Regards
    Max

23. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

I Was thinking other useful features (obviously only to give an idea):

- Insert in "camera motion settings" Crouch settings" (like Lean settings) to set height of camera on crouch position. (no bad insert also prone settings)
    - insert an option (Motor) to make a smooth start and stop of walking (for to be not too jerky like a gradual acceleration ).
    - It could be nice add a auto crouch detection when there is not space to walk standing.

Another thing that could be very usefull (for me sure) is the ability to disable the weapon shot feature (insert an option). I was thinking if the weapon is swapped with a torchlight.
    In my case, making a virtual tour inside a cave (i don't need weapons) and i would use a flashlight but that use your sway system.

Best regards
    Max

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  24. ForceX

ForceX

Sorry for no update yesterday. With work then our president's speech , and the start of NFL FOOTBALL BABY WOOOOOO!!!!! I had no time to get any work done. But the weekend is upon us so expect an update soon.

1. Extra random footsteps: yes
    2. Currently to adjust your first person crouch and prone height positions just move their target gameobjects. This will change to a script solution in a later update.
    3. Smooth / delayed walking. Perhaps after I get the rest of the core features. Feel free to add this into your project.
    4. Auto crouch: no plans at this time.

25. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

1. very important feature...great!
    2. wow... I forgot to check this possibility ... thanks!
    3. thank you!
    4. it is just an idea!

Best regards
    max

26. ForceX

ForceX

I forgot about your flashlight / torchlight. I'll have to check but you should be able to use any gameobject in the active weapon slot to be assigned as a child to the main camera. Which reminds me I need to move the weapon layer assignments over to controller script as well. So any object will be changed to this layer when it's equiped.

The way weapons and items will change soon. There will be equipment slots to assign items to. This will be after I get the animations done.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  27. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

HI,
    I Did try to add my Torch gameobject and it works well..but i must attach also "FX Weapon Linecast" (and configure all variable) to make it work! I can't wait to see your new weapons/items system.

I found a strange issue in "weapon sway system" (after your last fix).
    in your scene demo, if I walk the weapon goes to sway but if i stop myself and I go to walk again..the sway is not present.
    The sway come back if i go to run...but if i change direction key (right left or back) the sway movement goes to stop.
    I found this now at Home with Unity 3.3...I don't know if is present also on Unity 3.4. (could you confirm?).
    Thanks!

Max

28. ForceX

ForceX

This is just a start and by no means covers everything necessary for animations.

Update 1.5.0

New Features:
    1. Animations: This is the first step towards an fully customize-able animation system. This first release provides the ability to assign animations for Walking(8 animation directions), Running(8 animation directions), Crouching(8 animation directions), Prone(8 animation directions), Swimming(8 animation directions), Jumping(1 animation direction), and Falling(1 animation direction).

Assign animations in Player Settings-->Player_Animations.

2. Footstep sounds are now randomized. Assign as many sounds as you like for each sound type.

3. Weapon_Linecast-->Scripting Overrides-->Enable Weapon Recoil has a new option. Effect Camera Only. Enable this when you want the recoil effect but you do not want the script to override your animations.

Changes:
    1. Crouching Prone states have been expanded to all controller styles. First Person Action is the only controller style that will use the crouching and prone position targets.

Fixes:
    1. Weapon sway should no longer stop. (THIS IS AN ANIMATION OVERRIDE!! Only enable weapon sway for First Person Action when you are not using a player actor).

The demo package uses the construction worker from the Unity controller package. While it's built-in animations are not suited for the style of play, it does demonstrate the necessity of having proper animations for your actor and the object that is currently being handled.

Future Release.
    Since it is extremely important to have animations that reflect what the player actor is currently holding / using, i will be working on a system that will allow multiple animations to be assigned to any given "Motion State" and be driven by the current object in hand. Have a flashlight use these sets of animations, have a one handed gun then use these sets of animations, or how about a 2 handed gun, or a toothbrush. Each object has different requirements for motion animations and usable animations, and my goal is to make it as easy as possible. Look for these features in a future release.

Previous daily builds history:

1.4.2h:
    Fixes:
    1. Fixed weapon sway.

Changes:
    1. Moved weapon sway updates away from Weapon_Linecast and into FX_Character_Controller.
    2. Weapon sway is currently found under Camera_Settings --> Camera_Weapon_Settings.

1.4.2g:
    Fexes:
    1. Fixed a problem with Weapon_Linecast_Editor giving NullRefrence under Scripting_Overrides.

Known Issues.
    1. Weapon Sway: This is setting the weapon to a position over the camera. This is being worked on.

1.4.2f:
    Lots of code cleanup. Reorganized code to remove a bunch of if() checks.

Changes:
    1. FX_Controller - "Motor_Settings" renamed to "Player_Settings".
    2. HeadBob and Lean settings have been moved to Player_Settings --> "Player_Motion_Settings".
    3. FX_Controller now has the setting"Parent Weapon To Camera". This will set the player weapon as a child of the player camera. This is no longer a setting on the weapon it's self. It is located inside the "Camera_Weapon_Settings" (First Person Action Only).

1.4.2e
    Fixes :
    1. Corrected an issue with head bobbing.

1.4.2d
    New Features:
    1. Footstep sounds framework implemented. This allows for basic sounds. 1 sound for ground, 1 sound for swimming, 1 sound for climbing ladders, and 1 jump sound. You can set the frequency of footsteps (how fast the sound plays) in the inspector. This can be found under Motor Settings --> Player Sounds. As i learn how to get information from a material or develop different sound zone techniques there will be more sounds for more surfaces.

Changes:
    1. Experimenting with new water setup. (WIP)
    2. Minor code cleanup reducing the number of look-ups for some inputs and object information.

1.4.2c
    New Features:
    1. Added basic swimming system.

Hold Left CTRL to dive and space to ascend.

1.4.2b
    Fixes:
    1. Third Person Action Mode camera collision has been restored.

New Features:
    1. Zone_Ladder : Use Zone_Ladder's to climb up surfaces. To climb up the Zone_Ladder from a ground position approach the ladder and press forward to advance upwards. To climb down a zone_Ladder from a ground position approach the ladder (you will not be able to fall off the ladder by over walking it), turn around and press down. While on the ladder you can look around but your movement direction will be limited to the ladders vertical position. You can exit by becoming grounded again or jumping off the ladder.

2. Zone_Teleporter: To use a teleporter enter the "Zone_Teleporter" and press the interaction key "F"

Changes:
    1. Weapon impact decals will now parent them self's to their impacted object.
    2.HeadBob settings now exist for all active pose states.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  29. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

awesome...now all works perfectly and also there are many other enhancements and greats prospective for the future upgrades... fantastic! Thanks.
    Max

edit: little issue or difference effect in the swimming zone...now the player fall directly to the bottom!

edit2:
    As you said ..the actual character do not give justice at your animation system!
    Would be nice, a the right moment of the develop, to add a simple character with all animation that explain all poses enabled by your tool and that give a nice looking in all supported camera system.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  30. modulo

modulo

Great job. thanks

31. ForceX

ForceX

@ Sjm Tech:
    Swimming: Due to some state detection changes swimming has some issues. Mainly the one you described. Swimming is an ongoing wip that has some unique challenges. I consider it a " Use at your own risk" atm.

Attempting to use the construction worker inside an animation package turned out to be a bad idea. As it used a max biped rig. Re-importing the asset back you loose the biped functionality. A custom rig is fourth coming i just actually need to create some animations for my character meshes.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  32. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

For swimming...don't you worry... my notes are always for feedback; I know that is a nice WIP and I will wait an stabile version.

I can't wait to see your tool wit ha full body character animated!
    Good job.
    Regards
    Max

33. modulo

modulo

Inventory cool :)

Assets/FX Game Develpoment Tools/Scripts/FX_Character_Controller.js(529,32): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'FX_Inventory'.

34. ForceX

ForceX

Oops. That should not have been in there :) .. Yet

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  35. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

The Camera/Mouse smoothing works very well...great!

one note:
    - Gameobjects with "FX_Object_Properties" assigned (and "Is interactive" true) are no longer identified by hud reticule (color and reticule texture swap)

some possible upgrades:
    - [FX Activator] add, together Door and light, also "Sound FX Activator", "Animation Activator" and maybe "Gameobject Activator"

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  36. ForceX

ForceX

The interactive tag lookup got changed to item while I was messing with my inventory system. I forgot I had those changes.

37. Hovrak

Hovrak

not sure if you like this but i made sumpthin for yah, i appreciate all the work you are putting into this.

38. ForceX

ForceX

HAHA :) nice work thank you!! I'll work it in on the main post.

39. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

HI ForceX,
    are you working on a big update?
    Big Waiting....big improvements!
    Sorry, i'm only curious ... and i can't wait to test a new improved version!
    Good job and best regards
    Max

40. ForceX

ForceX

Actually i'm putting the finishing touches on my 3D Radar system that i will be submitted to the asset store here very soon. You can check out the original3D Radar post HERE, or a webplayer HERE Once this is done i'm going to continue to work on the character system.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  41. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi ForceX, I found a moment to give a look to your radar system seems very good! compliments!

Compliments too for the high number of downloads of your "FX Tools"

I can't wait to see some upgrade!
    Best Regards
    Max

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  42. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

You and me both Sjm Tech! Using it in my upcoming project and its working beautifully so far for testing. Force, you should be taking this to the asset store, its amazing!. :)

43. ForceX

ForceX

Thanks for all your support guys. I'm glad you like the scripts. The next part of the FX controller relies so heavily on animations, and i'm not even sure of all the types of animations it's going to require to create a fully featured animation scripting rig. It may take me some time as i'm understanding how all this fits together and then try to bring it all into something that's easy to use. But well get it their. In the meatime if there is something you guys have that is using the script and would like to show it off, i would love to see them.

44. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi ForceX,
    I think that you could make a "issues free" version with actual (and so complete) features and put it to buy on assets store.
    Seeing how many peaple are interesting at this tool you can make some selling success and give to you support for future upgrade version (animation and other).
    Meanwhile i send you my best regards!
    MAx

45. ForceX

ForceX

It's been a while so here is a new update.

New Daily Buld 1.5.0d

New Features:
    1. Player_Motion_Settings has a new option "Climb Look Direction". Enabling this will allow you to climb vertically in the direction you are looking. Looking up(Forward--> up, Back --> down) Looking down(Forward --> down, Back --> up). If this is disabled it will use the standard method of Forward is all ways up and Back is all ways down.
    2. Swimming sounds expanded to include swimming above water and swimming below water.
    3. Added an idle head bob for swimming creates the feel of floating.

Changes:
    1. Swimming gets a marked improvement.

Fixes
    1. If some potential null references with audio
    2. Weapon sway should function properly while crouching / prone idling

46. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

New "Climb Look Direction" feature is perfect!

I found a issue: when it stops to walking "walk head bob" is still present!

Regards
    Max

47. ForceX

ForceX

Hmm strange but fixed.

Updated First Person Action demo to use the climb look direction

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  48. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Wow, now swimming is quite perfect! (it could be added only a "Run/Speed swimming" status)

Teleport:
    just for give an idea...it could be nice to add a "fade-in and fade-out camera effect".

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  49. daywin

daywin

After import package ,error "MaterialType 'Is not a member of UnityEngine Component' "

50. daywin

daywin

Should I update unity 3.4.1?