Search Unity

Question fuzzy / overly sharp / pixelated texture

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by stefanplc, Apr 21, 2021.

1. stefanplc

stefanplc

You can see what I mean in the GIF above (direct link to it: http://www.pulciu.com/fuzzy.gif ), it's more obvious towards the end of the recording. If you look closely at the tree, you'll see that the details in the branches look very fuzzy / pixelated when the camera moves. The tree is a 3d mesh with UV unwrapped planes that take a PNG texture for the branches, it's pretty low poly.

My first thought was that maybe it's the shader that I'm using and it's something to do with the alpha clipping. So to test that out, I created a new material using the default Unlit/Texture shader and I replaced the opacity in the PNG texture with a flat color, but I'm still getting similar results where instead of the edges of the tree, it's all of its details that are fuzzy like in the GIF above. The texture used by the tree is a large 4096 texture atlas that the entire environment uses.

Any ideas how to fix that so it's a bit smoother?
    Thank you!

2. bgolus

bgolus

Looks like you have mip maps disabled on the texture.

stefanplc likes this.
  3. stefanplc

stefanplc

Thank you sir, that did the job! Any idea on how I can improve it for edges if I'm using a transparent PNG with alpha clipping? It's pretty good as is, but I'm wondering if there's anything else that I can do to further improve edges.

Thanks!

4. bgolus

bgolus

GoGoGadget and stefanplc like this.
  5. stefanplc

stefanplc