Search Unity

Feedback Future of HDRP

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by sniffle63, Oct 25, 2021.

1. sniffle63

sniffle63

Will hdrp always constantly recompile or are there future plans to make working in hdrp feel more real-time instead of having to wait after each change for the shaders to recompile?

mgear likes this.
  2. Matjio

Matjio

Unity Technologies

Hi @sniffle63 ,

Could you be more precise about when HDRP recompiles when you think it should not? (And which version you are on?)

We had some issues in 2020 due to issues on material dependencies, but this should be fixed in newer versions.

Currently HDRP compiles when importing the package, when finding new shaders not yet compiled or pre compiled (eg: new shader graph, new material using à not yet loaded variant), when using some debug views for the first time, or when changing settings which introduce the need to compile new variants.

The alternative would be to pre compile all the variants with all possible settings and that would be very long.

3. sniffle63

sniffle63

The company I work for is using the 2020 lts and is using hdrp 10.5.1, which is the verified version for lts.

I have an 8 core 16 thread 3.6 ghz CPU, 64 gigs of RAM, an RTX 2080, and the project is installed on a dedicated nvme 2.0 drive.

Your reply makes it sound like there are no plans to fix the issue in the current long-term support version of unity and will only be fixed when we switch to 2021 lts whenever that is released, is that accurate?

To be more clear on the issue tho, basically, everything causes recompiling to happen. Even opening a prefab, and not just the first time it is opened.. you can open a prefab wait 30 seconds for the shader to compile then go to another prefab wait 30 seconds on that prefab then switch back to the one you just left and it may or may not recompile, for me its a random part of the prefab that recompiles every time I open it.

And that's if it finishes compiling at all, a lot of the time it just breaks halfway through and I have to re-open the prefab or change a setting to force another recompile.

Basically 80% of the things I do in unity causes shader recompiling to happen, its extremely painful

4. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

This is very strange indeed. It shouldn't re-compile the 2nd time you select an item. However, we don't really know what kind of object you select and if this project might use some asset store packages or custom scripts that might introduce bugs.

For a clean comparison, could you create a new HDRP project using the Unity Hub (it'll use the HDRP scene template), and see if clicking on any of the prefabs multiple times over time create the same issues? (like the bamboo trees or the lamps for instance)

If you don't see any of these issues, then the problem might be project-specific.

Also, is anyone at the company you work for seeing the same issues? or it is machine-specific?

olavrv likes this.