Search Unity

Future obstacle avoidance improvements

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by Danirey, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Danirey

Danirey

Hi,

I'm wondering if in a reasonable future will be an improvement in the obstacles handling. I mean, some easy way to just update the navmesh at runtime, or some other obstacle type. In a changing environment, if you destroy a building, you will need to update the navmesh to make the new area walkable.

I don't know how to do that with the actual navmesh features. But if anybody knows a way to do that, please post! ;)

Just one example, you have a building and a wall is destroyed, you will be able to enter the house through there.

Thanks!

2. zazoum

zazoum

Second that!
    Is there a solution for that matter?

Danirey likes this.
  3. FisherM

FisherM

I'm actually working on a solution for exactly that matter.
    Other Path (Beta) is being processed by the asset store.
    Other Path Pro will have a fully fledged navigation system based on defined paths within a prefab

4. Danirey

Danirey

Hi FisherM,
    Could you explain a bit how will your asset work? Is it based on the Unity's Navmesh?

Cheers

5. FisherM

FisherM

No I am actually working on a couple of navigation systems for two of my own distinct requirements neither use unity's navmesh system. Purely because it doesn't support the features I need this extends to AG's A*.

These requirements are:
    • Support's large paged terrains
    • Supports Obstacles
    • Supports complex obstacles such as walls
    • Supports destroyable obstacles that the ai know they can destroy or need a certain key to do so.
    • (importantly that both of the above can be brought in at runtime)
    • Finally and most importantly supports !structures and building's that can be navigated through that are created at runtime!
    The first and more challenging to use, more complex one is functionally complete and waiting for asset store approval.
    The way it works is by translating every 1x1x1 to a bit array in memory. It is then as simple as running a pathfinder through the bitarray world to find a path then translate that to your world (mine is a 1kmx1km). This is not designed for large terrains but it supports the project I am working on where although it is not a voxel world the players build blocks out of 1x1x1 cubes and AI are expected to navigate through it. The second and more complex I would describe as an "antinavmesh & obstacle avoidance system" where all area's are considered walkable and ai are given different kinds of railings around non travesable spaces which they avoid, smaller areas for example inside buildings are given navmesh's because we assume a player won't put a building in a building... that said you can made a simple navmesh portal to connect two building's so it won't contradict in that sense, only that an entire poly of a navmesh inside one of these small spaces will not be compromised completely.

6. Danirey

Danirey

Looks nice, Let us know when they are available.

Cheers!