Search Unity

Assets Future demo of Ultimate Terrains

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Amandin-E, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

Hi!

I'm working on the future demo (as well as screenshots on the Asset Store) of Ultimate Terrains. Just trying to show what can be done with this smooth voxel engine.

I'm not a 3d artist, I'm a developer so I'm trying to do what I can with lights, textures and so on but there is probably a lot of space for improvement.

01.png 02.png 03.png 04.png 05.png

Neviah, alexanderameye and Androdro like this.
  2. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

3. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

alien01.png alien02.png alien03.png alien04.png alien05.png

Neviah and Androdro like this.
  4. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

alien06.png alien07.png alien08.png alien09.png alien10.png

Neviah and Androdro like this.
  5. Androdro

Androdro

Nice! I didn't know there was such a tool on the asset store! Would be nice to have a video

Amandin-E likes this.
  6. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

@Androdro Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely make a video (one showcase video and one tutorial video at least).

7. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

Hi there, nobody wants to give some feedback? How could I improve my scenes? :)

8. ceebeee

ceebeee

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at. Can you explain what you mean by 'smooth voxel engine' and what it improves over regular terrain? Is it still Unity terrain based, or is it Mesh based? If Mesh based, can you control the polygon density? (and seeing some wireframes of how dense it generally is would be nice).

Is it the fact there can be 'holes' in the terrain? That's the only thing I think looks out of the ordinary.

9. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

@ceebeee Yes indeed, unlike standard terrains, it can have overhangs, caves, holes, etc. It is just not possible to create a standard terrain that looks like these.

It has nothing to do with standard terrains and it is mesh based. The polygons density can be controlled through acceptable error parameters but it's generally better than the standard terrain on this point.

Other than this, it is fully editable in real time (you can dig true holes, or add mater), it also handles cubical style (minecraft like) and terrains are infinite in all directions.

The downside is that it takes time to generate (like minecraft terrains for example) and has of course a higher CPU cost than standard terrains (fortunately, it is fully multithreaded).

ceebeee likes this.