Search Unity

Furiously angry n00b

Discussion in 'Animation' started by kalorvoe, Dec 9, 2013.

1. kalorvoe

kalorvoe

Hi all,

Here's what I want to do:

-Download the free male/female character pack.
    -Drop a character into my scene
    -Make it do its idle animation.

You'd think that after HOURS I'd be able to make this work, wouldn't you? I've set endless properties and added all kinds of controllers and machines and scripts and read tutorial after tutorial and NOTHING WORKS. They're either still in that stupid T-pose or they're not there at all.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, HOW???

2. mikejkelley

mikejkelley

Hi, there's maybe not enough info here to go on, but I'll share some stumbling blocks that I encountered initially. First of all, there's a weird conceptual disconnect for character imports. Certain parameters will appear if you select your imported mesh in the project folder and look at the inspector. Those parameters will not be accessible if you select them in the hierarchy folder. But others will.

There are different ways to animate and depending on which method you want, you will have to set your project parameters accordingly. For instance, if you're animating using mecanim, you have to select your import in the project folder and then rig>animation type>humanoid. Then you need to create an avatar. If you're importing your animations individually using the @ symbol method you have to make sure each import is set up like this to have it accessible in mecanim.

3. TonyLi

TonyLi

I hear you. Getting the basics working in Unity is the hardest part. And two different animation systems (Mecanim and legacy) don't make it any easier.

If you're using Mecanim, follow this tutorial: http://video.unity3d.com/video/7362044/ and check these things:

1. On the model's import settings, click on the Rig tab. Make sure the rig is set to Humanoid.
    2. Add the model to the scene.
    3. Create an Animator Controller in your project and double-click it to edit it.
    4. Drag the idle animation clip (you may need to expand a model to find it) onto the Animator canvas.
    5. Assign the Animator Controller to the character's Animator component. If you see an Animation component instead of Animator, you imported the model as Legacy; go back and change this to Humanoid.

Or download the Locomotion Starter Kit. It does most of the work for you.

If you're using the legacy animation system, make sure you've imported the rig as Legacy. This will give your character an Animation component that you can assign the idle clip to.