Search Unity

furFX Mobile - Physics-based Fur Shaders

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reddotgames, Sep 26, 2013.

1. SpaceMammoth

SpaceMammoth

Fantastic news, thanks for doing this. My space mammoths were worrying that they would have to go back to being bald, you have saved them!

2. realtimekat

realtimekat

None of the FurFX example scenes are working for me on an iPhone 6+ targeting iOS 8.1, the fur doesn't show up and I get a "WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'FurFX/Mobile/FurFX Advanced 20 Layer' - Pass '' shader state not supported"
    I've tested with both Unity 5.0 and 4.6.4 with the same result, I thought the shaders were supposed to support iOS? Is there any workaround?

3. reddotgames

reddotgames

Yes they are working on iOS - you sure you use GLES20 not 10 ?

4. realtimekat

realtimekat

In Unity 5.0 I found the "Graphics API" setting under Build Settings, it was set to "Automatic", I changed this to "Opengl ES 2.0" and then the fur shaders worked on my iPhone 6 device, however it broke some Marmoset shaders that I am using, looks like forcing Opengl ES 2.0 is the only way to get the fur to show up on the device.

5. reddotgames

reddotgames

and the default was? 3.0?

6. realtimekat

realtimekat

The default was set to "Automatic", the fur shaders only work when this is set to OpenGL ES 2.0, shouldn't it also work under the automatic setting? I'm trying to figure out how I can get the fur shader and marmoset shaders working together at the same time.

Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 8.44.38 pm.png

7. realtimekat

realtimekat

More information - under the automatic Graphics API config the device will run with Metal. I was able to get the fur shaders to work under this config by commenting out this line
    #pragma only_renderers opengl gles d3d9 in the shader

8. gecko

gecko

I'm finding this to be the case as well. I'm sure the fur shader worked a year ago or so (I remember seeing it in the profiler running on iPad), but now it only works on GLES2. (Hmm, maybe last year I tested it on iPad 2, so it was forced to GLES 2). I'll try realtimekat's solution but is a built-in fix coming?

9. gecko

gecko

@realtimekat : where is that line in the shader? I can't find it (looking in FurFX Basic 5 Layer)

10. realtimekat

realtimekat

@gecko It starts on line 31 in FurFX/Mobile/FurFXBasic5Layer, and there's a few more in the file under each Pass

SubShader
    {
    Pass
    {
    CGPROGRAM
    // #pragma only_renderers opengl gles d3d9

11. realtimekat

realtimekat

@gecko btw I found that adding 'metal' to this line instead of commenting out also works too

12. gecko

gecko

Ah, I had not updated the package lately. I see those lines now, and adding "Metal" fixes the problem. Thanks so much!

13. FlipJam

FlipJam

I'm considering purchasing this asset. Can someone let me know if these shaders work with light probes?
    Thanks

14. vandel_savage

vandel_savage

with all the information I got from previous posts, I believe FurFx for mobile is not yet supported in Unity 5. Correct me if I am wrong ..!! If it is true, then when can we have the support for Unity 5.
    Thanks

15. vandel_savage

vandel_savage

installed it, the Pc version is working but the mobile version fur is not affecting at all.. is there something I need to do !!

16. robert-nally

robert-nally

Hi,

I just bought your mobile furFX shader. I loaded it into my project and I immediately got errors for some of the scripts. See the attached image.

On the Unity Asset Store it says that this asset works with Unity 5. I am using Unity 5.1.2f1, but obviously there are errors. Can you help, comment?

Attached Files:

17. vandel_savage

vandel_savage

Hi Robert, it should work fine. That missing script is the script which adds gravity,wind,etc to fur. Better you create a new project and then add the FurFx package into it. I believe it will work. Also do not forget to change the directX setting to 9 only for FurFx to work in Unity 5.

18. petey

petey

Hey has anyone got this working on Unity 5.3 yet?

19. all_iver

all_iver

FurFX mobile isn't working for me anymore. I didn't notice right away but I think it was the latest upgrade to Unity 5.3.2f1. There aren't any errors, the shader just doesn't do anything in my project or the example scenes. Any ideas?

Edit - hmm, fortunately it does seem to work on my ios device! It is just not working in the Unity editor.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  20. petey

petey

Hey! Glad I'm not the only one! 5.1 was fine but 5.3 is a no go.
    Unfortunately they don't seem to be responding to it. :/

21. all_iver

all_iver

As an update to my previous post, FurFX mobile is NOT working on iPhone 6 devices. It only works on iPhone 5. If there is any information about how to get it working on an iPhone 6 I would be grateful - otherwise this asset just seems to be totally broken on current iOS devices.

22. all_iver

all_iver

Hmm, I got it working again in the Unity editor by going into the shader files and commenting out all the lines like this:

#pragma only_renderers opengl gles d3d9

Unfortunately I don't know enough to know if that's going to break things anywhere else, or what the updated version of that line should look like.

Edit - Obviously I did a bad job of reading this thread because this fix is mentioned above already.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  23. petey

petey

Hey guys,
    Any chance you could get this working for the new stable release of Unity 5.3?

24. ibtikar

ibtikar

sad to buy and then find it doesn't work with the current unity =(

where is the fix ??

25. petey

petey

Looks like there isn't gonna be one :( this thread had been pretty quiet for a while.
    It'd be nice if the unity folk made a good fur shader.

26. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

Haven't tested it on mobile yet but works fine in 5.3.5f on PC if you remove the #pragma only_renderers lines as mentioned a few times.

27. DanTaylor

DanTaylor

Hi there! Been using this on my current project, and it works a treat on iOS and Android with the fix from lemon_tree.
    Looks great, with no noticable framerate impact, even on an iPad Mini.

HOWEVER...

I am having trouble when using Render Textures. The alpha values are extremely faint.
    Check out the post I put on the nGUI forums...
    http://www.tasharen.com/forum/index.php?topic=15237.0

I have a sneaky feeling I will need to modify the shader to work better with Render Textures.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    :)
    Dan

28. DanTaylor

DanTaylor

29. DanTaylor

DanTaylor

So... the fur shader runs like a dream on my Nexus 7... iPad Mini, not so much! :(

As the iPad Mini is our baseline hardware, it looks like I need to optimize!

Could the change to the blending I made (above) have a big effect on the performance? If not, are there any tips for getting the most FPS out of this shader?

Thanks!
    Dan