Search Unity

Question Fur shader using LWRP and Shader Graph

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by WendelinReich, Apr 24, 2019.

1. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

Hi everyone, I've used SG quite a bit in recent weeks and come to appreciate it. As someone who doesn't have a background in hand-coded shaders, I also wonder about it's limitations. Specifially, would it be possible to build a (simple) fur shader using only SG and targeting the LWRP?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Here's a nice example of what I'd like to achieve (example taken from a game called Fluffy Fall):

2. enhawk

enhawk

have been giving this a lot of thought my self. Currently my research points to using a parallax effect, kind of like the ice cracks technique but inverted.

Another idea is to use the grass technique and apply some world position based noise, so when the object moves around, the fur is pushed around

WendelinReich likes this.
  3. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

Cool, if you manage to prototype any of that, make sure to post it here :D

4. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I had a look at the Fluffy Fall video.

It's implementing fur with the "shell" technique, and there's plenty on the store.

It's basically taking the base mesh, replicating it with some delta position, and "inflating" it in the direction of the vertex/pixel normal. Just iterate on this, possibly applying an erosion shader to the same texture, to give the feeling of extrusion. Or, use a noise function fading from 1 to 0 alpha gradually on every shell.

The "brute" way to do it would if you're really in a hurry is faking it by actually duplicating the same mesh with different scale values and overlapping them.

Of course, it's not as performant, but gets the job done in a minute. Make sure to use an appropriate texture to simulate shadows (baked)

You can as well simulate the wobbly effect by displacing/rotating the array of shells in the direction of the motion. You can do it both in the shader version or in the quick and dirty way :)

Detail of the shell shader:

WendelinReich likes this.
  5. enhawk

enhawk

@WendelinReich this is using shader graph LWRP on a single sphere, inspired by the ice crack tutorial
    fur shader graph2.gif shader graph fur.png

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  6. starfoxy

starfoxy

Really interested if this has progressed any further. No pun intended. ;) But seriously, I'd love to know if this might be possible with shader graph.

johnhurliman and WendelinReich like this.
  7. enhawk

enhawk

the above was done in shader graph

NeatWolf likes this.
  8. gputhread

gputhread

NeatWolf likes this.
  9. WangJingLin

WangJingLin

10. el_rolas

el_rolas

can you share it?

11. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

But this does not really give you a furry :) outline.
    You would still need to place haircards on the character mesh to give it some volume and outline.