Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Funnel with Instant/Installed versions of Android App

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by karyll, Feb 18, 2021.

1. karyll

karyll

Hi, I have 2 questions regarding using funnels to track progress.

From the Funnel documentation, users "must complete the funnel steps in the precise order those steps appear in the funnel."

My scenario is as follows: I track the progress of players when they complete the levels in my game (level complete events)

1. Let's say the user completes levels 1, 2, 3 and I post the AnalyticsEvent.LevelComplete in this order, then the player goes back to 2 and completes it and I post the AnalyticsEvent, then they would be 1, 2, 3, 2. Does this break the funnel or not? Should I be caring to post the AnalyticsEvent only the first time the level is completed or I should not care about it?

(in other words) if the player jumps to lvl 4 and finishes it, which sequence will be valid? 1,2,3,2,4 (post always at lvl complete) or 1,2,3,4 (post only first time lvl is complete)

2. I have an Instant version (launched from Google Play Games app) of my game and an installed version of the game (Installed from Google Play Store). If a user starts the game from the Instant version and goes levels 1,2,3 then installs the Installed version and continues from there levels 4,5,6 ... is this considered a valid funnel (1,2,3,4,5,6) or ... what happens ?

Thanks.

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Funnels are sequential in nature. If a user goes back and completes a previous level again, the event will be ignored. Each level 1,2, 3, and 4 will still contain only one user. Not sure about the "instant" version mention, it sounds like these would be separate apps? They likely will have different Dashboards. You can use Charles Proxy to confirm the ProjectID/AppID that is being sent https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002917683-Using-Charles-Proxy-with-Unity

3. karyll

karyll

1. ok. so if by some exception(bug:), I post events for levels 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 (so skipping 4), basically in the funnel I will see only that the user has completed 1, 2, 3 and the values for 5 and 6 will be lost, correct?

2. you can see the Instant apps if Google Play Games app. They require basically no installation, they run on-the-fly.
    Technically I build the same project 2 times by switching from a plugin between the 2 versions, one time to build the *.aab (android app bundle) for the instant version and one time to build the *aab for the normal version. Then they are deployed on separate tracks in the Google Play Console. But the package name is the same (this is why you can upgrade from instant to normal). If Analytics uses the ProjectID as key, then it's the same value, so that should mean that the funnel should carry over from instant to installed.

I'll have a look with Charles, thanks for the link!

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

1. Correct. 5 and 6 levels in the funnel would be empty
    2. A new install counts as a new user, keep in mind

5. karyll

karyll

ok, thanks!