Search Unity

Funnel tracking by custom event parameter

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by VoidFish, Mar 20, 2015.

1. VoidFish

VoidFish

I initially tried to setup my funnel tracking by sending a "FinishedLevel" event at the end of every level with a parameter specifying which level.

Example:
    Event: FinishedLevel
    Parameters
    Connected > false
    CurrentLevel > PlanetOne
    NextLevel > SpaceScene1
    UserName > Tyler
    Platform: WindowsEditor
    SDK Version: 1.8.1

Then I created a funnel like so:

Yesterday I played to level 6 in the windows client and checked the funnel analyzer today to see this:
    upload_2015-3-20_14-23-15.png

I expected at least one user to have reached 10. FinishedLevel. The first thing I checked was the integration verifier to ensure the vents were being sent:
    upload_2015-3-20_14-29-23.png

What am I doing wrong here? Am I not supposed to track funnel progression by parameters? Should I be using event names instead?

2. angeloferro

angeloferro

Hey @DeadShawn - there's one key thing to be aware of with the current funnel setup (our apologies for not making this clearer - we are working on creating more detailed documentation so stay tuned!).

Funnels are linear
    This means that a player must complete the funnel steps in the exact order that you have setup your funnel. As a simple example, let's say you have a game with distinct numeric levels (i.e, Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3) that are linear (i.e., you must complete Level 2 before completing Level 3 and so on).

If you create a funnel with the following funnel steps:
    Step 1 = Level 1
    Step 2 = Level 3
    Step 3 = Level 2
    Step 4 = Level 4

The above funnel will show players in Step 1 and Step 2, however there will be no players in Step 3 and Step 4. This is because no players have completed the event Level 3, prior to completing the event Level 2. A player must be a member of the preceding funnel step in order to fall into the next step of the funnel.

From looking at your data logs, our hunch is that the reason why the funnel doesn't look exactly like how you expected it to, is because the steps that you've currently set-up aren't linear.

Hope this helps - if you have any additional questions or need further clarification please let us know.

3. VoidFish

VoidFish

Are my steps not linear?

The funnel is setup in this order (as in the screenshot)

1 Game Started
    >connected=false
    >level=TutorialSpace

2 FinishedLevel
    >connected=false
    >currentlevel=TutorialSpace

3 LevelStats
    >level=TutorialSpace

4 FinishedLevel
    >connected=false
    >currentlevel=StartingPlanet

The events are received in this order (as in the screenshot)
    Event: Game Started
    >Level=TutorialSpace
    >Connected=false

>CurrentLevel=TutorialSpace
    >Connected=false

Event: LevelStats
    >CurrentLevel=TutorialSpace
    >Connected=false

>CurrentLevel=StartingPlanet
    >Connected=false

The events do arrive in the exact same order as they're specified in the Funnel according to the integration verifier. Is this not what you mean by linear?

I made another funnel that was just a GameStarted then a bunch of FinishedLevel events and it appeared to work as I expected. It just doesn't work when I specify the current level in parameters.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  4. angeloferro

angeloferro

Hi @DeadShawn, it's hard for us to say without taking a closer look at your data - I'll PM you shortly about this.

5. kenli_touchten

kenli_touchten

Hi all,
    I also want to ask about funnel. I've wanted to do the same as @DeadShawn, but I do it differently. So for custom event I make it as 'chapter 1' and the parameters are all levels in chapter 1: level 1, level 2, level 3, and so forth. So here's what I have done

chapter completion.png

But the funnel never finish processing. After a few experiments I understand that currently Analytics cannot make a funnel using parameters that do not have value sent (that is displayed in 'sum' and 'average'). I only have 'count' data for these parameters (levels).

But then I notice there is a dropdown 'Parameters Overview' in Drilldown type. Then I experiment another funnel, this time using custom event only as step, without using any parameters. So funnels are only collecting completion for each chapters. Funnels are processed nicely this time. But when I choose 'Parameters Overview', nothing happens. What are this exactly? I've tried other drilldown and they work just fine. Actually I hope that this will detail down all parameters in each step in custom event. eg in step 1, there's chapter 1, so there'll be drilldown of level 1 .... last level. But it shows nothing. This is the screen capture

chapter progress.png

Hopefully this helps, and please enlighten me on this :D Meanwhile I'm trying to 'manipulate' the funnel works by creating value sent of 1 for 'sum' instead of null each time the event in parameter occurs.

kenli likes this.
  6. emiliza_gutierrez

emiliza_gutierrez

Unity Technologies

Hi @kenli_touchten -

I just looked into the data we're receiving from your project. I checked your events for '[Level Finished REV1] Chapter 1' and saw that the custom params sent are 'level 1', 'level 2', etc. as you had mentioned before. But we're receiving NULL values for these params. Unfortunately, the NULL means your example funnel where 'level 1 equals 1' will never populate.

It's also because these values are NULL that the Parameter Overview isn't charting your parameter breakdown.

I hope this helps.

7. kenli_touchten

kenli_touchten

Hi @emiliza_gutierrez,
    Thank your for the explanation! This is what I expect as well. Because at first I want to separate which custom event that has 'count' and 'sum'. So this will happen as well to my second experiment right? If I had written it as not NULL, what would the Parameter Overview shows? (I'm still curious)

8. emiliza_gutierrez

emiliza_gutierrez

Unity Technologies

Hi @kenli_touchten
    I'm not really sure I follow your first question. At the moment the our funnels (and data explorer) are only working with count/sum with custom events with numerical parameters. So long as you pass in a numerical parameter, count/sum should work properly. We are currently in the works of supporting custom events with string parameters. I'm sorry if this doesn't answer your question. If it doesn't, can you please rephrase?

Yep! If you had not passed NULL the Parameter Overview would've shown the breakdown of the parameters based on the values passed.