Search Unity

Funnel parameter (float) is always 0

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Saandji, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Saandji

Saandji

Hi guys!

Can anyone help me or suggest something?

I setted up the Funnel and it's working great, but I have two parameters there (leveltime and overageleveltime), they are both float-s. I wanted to count the avg time the player has spent on each level, but it's always 0.

Did anyone of you tried to use float in Funnels? Is the avg working for float numbers? Or maybe there is some kind of bug?

Platform - WebGL.
    Builded with Unity 5.3.4f1

Looking forward to hearing from you!
    Thank you very much

Best regards,
    Sam.

2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

@Saandji

I'm looking at a funnel in a project with your name on it (so I'm guessing it's the correct one). Looks pretty well-populated. Are you still having an issue?

3. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Sorry...I realize I completely mis-read your question. Investigating now.

4. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Ah, ok...I've found the issue. We round values to two decimal places, and it looks at if your average value falls below that threshold. We're looking into a fix.

[EDIT]Note: no data has been lost. The rounding is purely visual in nature.[/EDIT]

5. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Update:

So we have a solution for you. Probably can't deploy it until Monday, but we're fixing the field so that you'll see the true number as a rollover tooltip.

6. Saandji

Saandji

That's amazing, marc_tanenbaum! Thank you so much! Really love your support, guys. =)

erika_d likes this.
  7. Saandji

Saandji

marc_tanenbaum, can i ask another question? I have leveltime in my funnel, but when i first added this parameter it was a string, after that i changed it to float. When you will fix the bug, will it work as a float parameter or will remain as a string (so no avg for this param), and i will have to wait until all string values will become deprecated and will be removed from the funnel data?

Thanks in advance!
    Looking forward to hearing from you! =)

8. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Our system should be smart enough to represent both the string and the numerical versions; this is at least true in Data Explorer. I don't honestly recall how we handle this in funnels (very likely we don't expose string values there)...remind me after the weekend and I can investigate if you need.

9. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @Saandji,

To follow up on what Marc said, although Data Explorer should be able to handle changing values like this, in our docs it is something we highly discourage because it can lead to unexpected behavior. If possible the best thing to do in these situations is to create a new event, or at least a new parameter, with a new name in order to keep the old value types separated from the new ones.

10. Saandji

Saandji

Hi erika_d and marc_tanenbaum,

thank you for your support! I will check the funnel after the bug will be fixed and will create new event if that will be necessary.

But still, all params are 0, any updates on this issue?
    And, for some reason, when i choose "Level Start" in Data Explorer, it's loading forever...

Thanks! =)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  11. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @Saandji,

When you hover over the 0's for the params you should see a pop up showing the full decimal value. Are you not seeing that?

Level Start loading slow in Data Explorer is a bug that we are currently testing a fix for and should be releasing shortly! It comes from changing the type of variable being sent as a certain parameter, without changing the name of the parameter. Although we're trying to protect against bugs in that case, it's something we discourage in our docs since it can lead to unexpected behavior, like this. But we will hopefully have the fix for this particular case released soon!