Search Unity

Funnel Analyzer - Track level progression - No Data

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Loomabox, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Loomabox

Loomabox

Hello Everybody!

The app does send events, like "level_start" and "level_complete" with proper Level index. I can see the events in the Unity Editor's Validator and the Dashboard - Event Manager - Validator.

The Data Explorer even graphs such events.

However, no matter what the Funnel Analyzer is empty and complains of no data?

Any help?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Funnels only process those events that are received AFTER the funnel is created, and takes 8-16 hours after that to populate. We don't back fill funnels with events that were received prior to the funnel create.

3. Loomabox

Loomabox

I have the same understanding of the funnel. The funnel was created almost a week ago. I can see "level_start" and "level_complete" events were sent to Unity Analytics as the Event Manager has them.

How can I erase all of the Events that were previously sent to Unity Analytics?

How can I clear off the following list
    EventManager.jpg

I am particularly concerned that the Progression Funnel does not get triggered is because the first level name is NOT 1, but 3.
    EventManager1.jpg

I have already erased all stats week ago, but the list is still there...

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

You can disable events, but in this case, you really don't want to. You simply want to create a funnel that starts at level 3.

5. Loomabox

Loomabox

No, I want to create a Funnel that starts at level 1.
    Can these events be ONLY DISABLED or can they also be REMOVED to completely RESET the Event Manager?
    Besides, how much time Event Manager needs to EMPTY DISABLED Events?

What if I create New Project and link existing project to it? Every part will be anew, won't it?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

May I ask, why do you want to disable events? If you haven't changed your code, the same events will still arrive. And looking at your screenshot earlier ("NOT 1 but 3"), the ordering of parameters in that list is random, and does not reflect anything else and is not related to funnel progression. Before relinking any project, it would be best to be clear how funnels work. The reason that your funnel is not populating is likely because we have not yet received the proper first event. I would recommend that you open a support ticket as we would need your Unity ProjectID/UPID to check what your funnel is expecting, and what events have arrived since it was created.

7. Loomabox

Loomabox

I am absolutely sure that the "randomness" of the event parameters was due to the fact that we were testing levels in such a build that allowed us to choose any level irrespective of the actual progress. We could jump straight to level 10 for instance without completing any previous levels. So the apk did send correct event data with parameters of the levels we actually played.
    Since now you know what caused the "randomness" is it still worth opening a support ticket? BTW, where can I open one in case I need to?

8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Sorry, the ordering of parameters is not as you suggest, and does not relate to funnel progression. The ordering is due to the parameters being a collection, and collections by definition do not have ordering. Also, if your game allows a user to jump straight to level 10, and the first funnel step is level 1, then this user would not be included in that funnel. A funnel insists that the levels be completed in sequential order. You can open a support ticket here https://analytics.cloud.unity3d.com/support

9. Loomabox

Loomabox

The final release game will NOT allow players to jump to any level. Players could only progress sequentially.
    However, as part of the development process, we made a custom build to test the difficulty of certain levels.

I realized through our discussion that the way funnels are working can be really tricky.
    It looks like any funnel must FIRST be "manually" triggered and our code should "maintain" the funnel's data integrity.

What would happen if a player starts Level 1 while being offline and progresses through the game until Level 5? Then he goes online and continues to Level 10? Does UnityAnalytics core code inside the apk automatically stores the events triggered during offline and sends them once the player is online?

What if the user progresses to Level 5 while online, so his events do trigger the Progression Funnel, but then goes offline till level 50, then from level 51 he is back online?

How would the above two scenarios affect the funnel data?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  10. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Yes, we cache events when the user is offline, and send them the next time they are connected. There is no need for the client to be concerned about data integrity, and no manual process is needed.

11. Loomabox

Loomabox

Thank you for your support.
    I will open a ticket as it looks like my Progression Funnel is acting weird.

12. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

As mentioned in the support ticket, you are looking for event named level_start with the parameter level_index = 1 for users to enter your funnel. However you are not sending the level_index parameter, so your funnel is not populating. It's generally a good idea to create your funnels with just a few steps first to confirm they are working as expected.

13. Loomabox

Loomabox

Thank you very much for your help and support!
    I was not sending the index part of the standard event.
    The funnel is good now!

BR

14. mustafabutt1

mustafabutt1

Hi,
    I am having some issues related to unity analytics results for a VR game which is in testing mode. "Data Explorer" is not showing the required result.
    For example if Data Explorer has to show the data of four screens, it is just giving the data of two screen.
    Also I am getting a very delayed results.

Can you help me out?

15. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

It takes our system 8-16 hours to process new events and make them available on the Dashboard. Occasionally twice that long.