Search Unity

Feedback Functionality to batch remove packages

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Peter77, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I often want to remove multiple packages at once. For example, when I create a new project it contains: Ads, Analytics, InApp Purchasing, Package Manager, TextMesh Pro and Unity Collaborate.

I then do...
    1. Select "Ads" package
    2. Click "Remove"
    3. Wait 12 seconds for removal
    4. Select "Analytics" package
    5. Click "Remove"
    6. Wait 12 seconds for removal
    7. Select "InApp Purcasing"
    8. Click "Remove"
    9. Wait 12 seconds for removal
    10. Select "Unity Collab"
    11. Click "Remove"
    12. Wait 12 seconds for removal
    The "wait for removal" step is what is annoying for me. In an empty project, I have to wait about 12 seconds after I clicked "Remove" for Unity to get responsive again.

Getting rid of this time would be much appreciated. Functionality to mark a package to be removed, without immediately removing it, could workaround this issue. This would allow me to mark packages for removal and then press a "Remove all marked packages" button which removes them all at once, with a single 12 seconds wait only.

The same could be applied to updates.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    SugoiDev likes this.
  2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Peter77 ,

We are aware of this bad experience when adding/removing/updating multiple packages. This is something we plan to fix. In the meantime, to ease your pain, you can open the project manifest (
    /Packages/manifest.json
    ) in a text editor and manually remove all the packages (see
    dependencies
    attribute) that you don't want in your project. This is not the experience that we want to give to you, but this is what we have right now. Sorry!

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate you taking the time to write to us.

Regards,

Pascal

Peter77 likes this.