Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Fully Dynamic Diffuse Global Illumination

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by sonicether, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMeville

DMeville

@sonicether That's really too bad, but even the original approach looks crazy awesome, I really can't wait to try it out! I also think you should submit the bug to Unity for sure; worst case scenario nothing happens, best case scenario everyone who's been impressed with your work on this will got vote on the bug and it gets fixed :)

RB_lashman and hopeful like this.
  2. CKahler

CKahler

@sonicether: great process so far, I really like to offer you my help with the compute shader issues, therefore I recommend that you make your project public, so other people can help you pushing it forward. You won't make much money with this anyway, because the majority of unity users develop for mobile games or don't need full dynamic GI, like we do.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  3. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

I would surely be interested in this and would be glad to vote on the bug submission.

Also perhaps posting here might help others to vote http://feedback.unity3d.com/ I would gladly put the word out to others I know to vote.

DMeville likes this.
  4. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

If you could submit a bug report using the in-editor bug reporter with your simple cut-down repro scene, that would be great.

Simply have the project open in the editor and use the in-editor bug reporter, found at the bottom of the help menu.
    Report-a-bug.png

Give a simple description of the issue and show any of the details that you've discovered. When you're done, you can PM me the bug report number, and I'll try to get some traction.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

5. sonicether

sonicether

Thanks, Adam! Just submitted the bug and sent you a PM. I know you guys are very busy, I appreciate your time.

IronDuke, one_one, SAOTA and 3 others like this.
  6. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Thanks, I'll see what I can do.

IronDuke, one_one, Licarell and 4 others like this.
  7. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Did you see the reply to the big report? They claim to understand the issue and have proposed a workaround while it's being worked on.

Let me know if you need anything more.

8Infinite8, Arkade, one_one and 5 others like this.
  8. sonicether

sonicether

Yep! We've been corresponding. You guys are awesome :)

8Infinite8, blueivy, one_one and 5 others like this.
  9. SAOTA

SAOTA

Everything is Awesome!!

RB_lashman likes this.
  10. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Glad to help! (^_^)!

Tim-C, DMeville and RB_lashman like this.
  11. IronDuke

IronDuke

This ^^

--IronDuke

12. smetzzz

smetzzz

Great to hear things are moving along! Keep up the sweet work @sonicether

13. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

Excited for this :)

14. blueivy

blueivy

15. Misciagno

Misciagno

I will instantly buy if it works with Alloy shaders on release.

RB_lashman likes this.
  16. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

I'll instantly buy even if it doesn't :D

Pecek, Licarell, 8Infinite8 and 2 others like this.
  17. blueivy

blueivy

18. sonicether

sonicether

Here's a higher quality image :)

gi comparison.jpg

IronDuke, smetzzz, blueivy and 8 others like this.
  19. FPires

FPires

The quality is pretty insane.

sonicether and RB_lashman like this.
  20. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

It is nice, innit?

SAOTA, sonicether and RB_lashman like this.
  21. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

OMG!!! THE TREE BARK IS LIT PROPERLY.... SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

22. jcarpay

jcarpay

From your twitter post I understand the top image (the darker one) is with GI?

TerraUnity likes this.
  23. elias_t

elias_t

This.

24. sonicether

sonicether

Yep, the top image is with GI.

TerraUnity, jcarpay, Licarell and 2 others like this.
  25. Seith

Seith

It is! Currently I don't use GI in Unity because of the precalculation requirements (although it was presented initially as real-time). I'll take an imperfect true real-time GI solution over a better one requiring precalc anytime. Then again, I'm not an engine developer, I just see things from a user point of view.

one_one, yezzer, Misciagno and 2 others like this.
  26. lazygunn

lazygunn

So when do i start saving my money for? And how do you feel about its performance currently?

RB_lashman likes this.
  27. sonicether

sonicether

So, I know I said I'd work on the more crude GI I originally showed in the OP, but I'm going to have to wait for the guys at Unity to fix a couple things before releasing this voxel-based GI anyway, so I might as well be spending that time improving it. The original approach is fine, but it's a one-trick pony far from the full lighting system that the voxel-based GI approach is.

Performance-wise, the worst part is voxelization, and that is dependent on triangle count of the area within the volume bounds. I would definitely not recommend just slapping it in your scene with no second thought. In a scene with about 900k triangles, voxelizing everything (256x256x256 resolution) takes about 4.7 milliseconds on my 980 TI. I certainly hope that I can speed that up soon, but there's no need to voxelize all those triangles, since the volume is just an approximation of the scene. If you used layers and the culling mask of the main camera and the voxelization pass, you could render the high quality models for on-screen rendering, and have low-poly approximate models in the scene for voxelization. You could also leave out a lot of needless detail models like clutter, grass, etc. For example, you could probably reduce the poly count of those building models (in the screenshot above) by 90% while leaving minimal impact on the look of the GI. Assuming that you could make such a reduction of poly count for voxelized objects in the whole scene, you'd look at around a 90% improvement. If that's not enough, reduce the voxel resolution to 128x128x128 and you'd see an improvement as well.

I think if it's used in that way, performance will be quite practical for games. The cone tracing itself (at high quality settings--what you've been seeing in my screenshots) costs 3.0 milliseconds at 1080p with a 256x256x256 volume on my 980 TI. Increase the cone angle, reduce the number of samples, or decrease the volume resolution, and you'd see performance improvements. I'm starting to feel confident that this approach could be performant and scalable enough for games.

Though, of course, ALL of this is subject to change. For example, if for some reason I find a visual artifact that needs to be taken care of, cost could go up. If I find an optimization, it could go down. I do have some worries about the cone tracing and the particular approach I'm using. I'm using stochastic sampling (noise jitter) combined with temporal sampling (reprojecting and combining the result of previous frames) to both reduce discretization artifacts (aka banding) and save on performance by taking advantage of redundancy. In the majority of cases, noise is either unnoticable because of textures in the scene, or can be removed easily with filtering. Though, this approach may end up causing unacceptable issues in certain situations and I might have to find an alternative that people can use if they wish. That's why I'll need beta testers!

28. lazygunn

lazygunn

I challenge anyone NOT to ask to be a beta tester (i failed)

RB_lashman likes this.
  29. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

I want to first ask how to become a beta tester. And when I can become one. :)

RB_lashman likes this.
  30. Razmot

Razmot

What about procedural environment that are already made of voxels ? in my particular case, it's marching cubes + cubes + various slopes / half blocks mixed with the cubes, and then some prefabs.

I'm pretty sure I could pass the volume data I already have on the cpu to your GI system instead of re-voxelizing with the gpu.

31. Unreal-Vision

Unreal-Vision

Hi Cody,

I sent you an email to "cody@...." including some interesting reference guide on SSGI and voxel but never received any reply.

Do you received? What do you think about it?

Thanks,

32. lazygunn

lazygunn

ill go do it myself then i guess

33. SemaphoreStudios

SemaphoreStudios

Just a suggestion, because I really don't want to see another Unity 100% realtime GI solution with great potential go under (happened four times last year already). How about you release the one in the original post and sell it (me and plenty others are willing to pay for it as it is now) and work as you wish on any new alternatives you have.

Please, for the love of all that is good, do that. Let's not wait any more! Development on proper GI will never stop but let's take it one step at a time.

Mauri, FPires and RB_lashman like this.
  34. Vadya_Rus

Vadya_Rus

I would very much like to take part in testing this GI solution! :)

RB_lashman likes this.
  35. zenGarden

zenGarden

So a big PC hardware is required, this is the main issue with realtime GI, as your game will only sell for a really small population of gamers.

36. sonicether

sonicether

That may be possible, though voxelizing with the GPU may be faster anyway, since lighting has to be calculated for each voxel as well. I'm not exactly sure.

Sorry about that! I checked it out and it seems to be a variation of deferred irradiance volumes, which requires precomputation (check here for an explanation http://codeflow.org/entries/2012/aug/25/webgl-deferred-irradiance-volumes/#sampling-the-scene). So, for 100% dynamic GI, it's not an option.

I think that if you read that paragraph a little more closely you may come to a different conclusion.

I feel that both approaches are equally close to being ready for beta testing. Both have their own drawbacks, certainly, which is unavoidable when it comes to real-time graphics, especially when we're talking about dynamic GI. At this point, I really need some outside perspective on what needs to be improved and what is acceptable or not. So, I'd like to start testing very soon, I just need to figure out exactly how I want to do that.

Vadya_Rus, Licarell, Razmot and 4 others like this.
  37. P1st3ll1

P1st3ll1

Hey Cody! Nice work! :D
    I just wanna ask you if there's a possibility for you to post a new demo in the current phase of your project.
    You know, just for testing the unlimited bounce and stuff.
    And if it's not much asking, please, don't use Sponza XD

38. SemaphoreStudios

SemaphoreStudios

What's wrong with sponza? It is the best GI showcase scene out there.

At least do sponza + something else :)

39. Mauri

Mauri

40. zenGarden

zenGarden

It is some demo ? Or it is another Unity real time GI project that is fading away ?
    Unity is bringing real time GI already i should we use your system ?

41. omarzonex

omarzonex

wow
    Perfect Engine Environment lighting Realistic
    how highest quality settings lighting GI ???
    parameter perfect this .....

42. Mauri

Mauri

Yep, it's gone a bit quiet recently... :( I really hope it's not. This needs to become a reality. Unity needs this.

Not quite true, unfortunately. Unity's Enlighten is no where near realtime. You can't modify things in your scene without rebuilding GI, for example...

TooManySugar likes this.
  43. omarzonex

omarzonex

Slow Animation
    why ????
    graphics card or hardware
    or setting parameter GI

44. omarzonex

omarzonex

My projects for one Environment but version unity4 not 5

45. rebit

rebit

IndieAner3d likes this.
  46. rebit

rebit

@sonicether, i would like to suggest to you do a render multi-pass for Unity, Like the company Hibernum does.

Did you watch this presentation ? Look to 22:00 minutes, and you will see the Nvidia Iray integration.

Its possible to you make a integration like this approach ? :)

Unity is awesome tool to make 3D animations, with uSequencer and Cinema Director, when we need more photoreal detail, another render will be awesome. ( not realtime, but for high quality pipeline animation, realtime maybe is not a requeriment ).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  47. DMeville

DMeville

Unless I read that wrong, that image took 10+ hours to render. Not really realtime, still neat though in such a small program.

one_one and rebit like this.
  48. Mauri

Mauri

smallpt is using path tracing and this is a technique you can't use in realtime.

49. pan567

pan567

i would recommend using a variation of voxel cone tracing called ''Delta Voxel Cone Tracing"more details below:

Paper

50. rebit

rebit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.