Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Fully Dynamic Diffuse Global Illumination

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by sonicether, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smetzzz

smetzzz

Wow, thanks for the great update @sonicether ! I wish I could try your demo but unfortunately for me at this time I'm on a mac. :( Could you make a browser build? Thanks for the hard work!

2. blueivy

blueivy

Just tried the demo and I have to say, when this is released this is really going to be a game-changer! Even if it only works with a directional light, being able to change the sunlight in that sponza scene and see the lighting bounce was awesome! It's also a very clean looking GI technique which I thought was great, usually I see splotches of color bleeding everywhere, but not with this demo. It ran great on my end and I'm very excited and can't wait for the future of this asset :D

smetzzz and sonicether like this.
  3. IronDuke

IronDuke

Just tried the demo, and I think you've sold me. :p It looks just like real life, which is what I wanted, and is also fully real-time, which is what I wanted. The only thing missing now is support for point and spot lights, because there's a lot of those in a space game. I understand that it's hard to implement though, so I'm delighted at what has been done already. Oh, and your light bloom. Did I mention I like your light bloom? Is it the builtin Unity effect or is it yours? (Probably the latter, because it looks so good.)
    Keep right on going!

--IronDuke

4. elias_t

elias_t

Wow! This is the best rt gi solution I've seen in unity by far.

Hardly noticed any artifacts.

blueivy likes this.
  5. zenGarden

zenGarden

Quality Real time GI requires heavy computing , it's not for today computers, and if you make a game suing that technique instead of baked, as always, you will target less computers range. It's a choice like using UT5 to target a large PC people or using UE4 to target a lower people range as UE4 is not for low or mid PC specs.

A Hoverhead is meaning these effects are more consuming using real time GI insteda of UT5 Enlighten ?

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

Looks amazing. And the fact that needs no shader changes makes it even more so !!!

Is there a possibility that this is released soon, maybe as beta so we can start implementation and then be refined ?

What are the main reasons that we could not perhaps use it for prototyping GI right away ? Given the final look wont be much different from the lighting side of things.

Also another question about point and spot lights, will those cast to the environment as normally do without the GI ? I want to use this with GI Proxy for spot and point light bouncing, so this is critical to know for the current prototyping of lighting in my RPG.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  7. Seith

Seith

Just tried the demo; it looks fantastic! Super smooth on my machine (in 1080p). That is really impressive indeed. Now I've been burnt (like nearly everyone here) quite a few times with seemingly serious GI devs who stopped communicating and then gave up development altogether.

So experience dictates caution. But that demo (along with the respect @sonicether seems to muster) made a believer out of me.

smetzzz, sonicether and RB_lashman like this.
  8. Pulov

Pulov

Pffffffffffffffffff duuuuuuuuuude. That demo is breathtaking. Its a bit demanding for my rig. 32 stable fps on the cloths patio and about 35 in the no cloths patio.
    in a GTX560TI. Its a bit old card. The ressults are trully amazing.

Curious how will scalate with higher polycount scenes or an openworld. may be a cuttof for GI computation would be interesting having for the rest backed lighting, something similar like Beast did have with dual lightmaps.
    My faith bar is fully restored.;)

smetzzz and RB_lashman like this.
  9. Zeblote

Zeblote

You could just add an option to disable the expensive effects and target a much larger range.

10. eskovas

eskovas

The demo looks incredible :D
    Like Pulov, my rig is a little old, using a GTX 650 in 1080p i get 20 constant FPS.
    Of course we should absolutely not expect this type of high quality fully dynamic global illumination to function at 60+FPS on old hardware, that's not how things work ;)

Anyway, it looks very high quality and i'm looking forward to seeing more of it.
    Maybe a benchmark with different types of quality? :D

11. SteveB

SteveB

See now this makes the masses happy!

Also that demo is damn impressive. If I were to guess I'd say my framerate was in the teens (ASUS ROG i7, 16 gigs 970m) and what struck me was how coherent the is it.

I'm guessing just the single direct lightsource with no skylighting?

Very nice sonic :D

-Steven

12. SteveB

SteveB

Hmmm I ran the demo one more time, trying windowed vs. fullscreen, 720 vs 1080...

...windowed runs buttery smooth in both resolutions, and 720 feels like 60 fps. 1080 fullscreen is more like eskovas, upper 20's, not the teens as I reported earlier. (computer needed to warm up? :p)

Yea this is very nice.

13. Pulov

Pulov

TEsted also on 720p and almost 60fps all the time.
    This is huge.

RB_lashman likes this.
  14. chingwa

chingwa

No problems here.... everything looks and runs great :)

RB_lashman likes this.
  15. Zeblote

Zeblote

There is some kind of barely visible dirt / noise texture overlay in this demo... it doesn't move if I rotate the camera. I though my screen was dirty so I cleaned it... turns out it wasn't, same effect on my second screen...

I have no idea what it is but it's driving me insane, especially when looking at the darker areas.

Mauri likes this.
  16. Mauri

Mauri

@Zeblote Funny that you mentioned it. I saw the same. Good to see in darker areas.

17. smetzzz

smetzzz

Nice, glad to see the positive feedback. I trusted @sonicether could deliver. I am looking to target mobile for static architecture rendering. Could this be a feature? The ability to bake the GI would be amazing.

RB_lashman likes this.
  18. zenGarden

zenGarden

The frame rate is too low on low-mid range PC.
    This could work for simple adventure games, or low poly style games, not for today complex open world games.
    But it looks nice.

What is the interest if you turn back to baked GI ? UT5 offers you Enlighten already to bake GI.

19. smetzzz

smetzzz

UT5 can't bake GI during runtime. The architectural visualization project I'm working on will be procedural and the user can build and edit during runtime. Therefore the changes in the geometry would need to be rendered again but not dynamically updating every frame so as to free up processing for further editing.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    RB_lashman likes this.
  20. Zeblote

Zeblote

Yes!

As long as it doesn't take longer than a couple seconds at least.

Pulov and RB_lashman like this.
  21. smetzzz

smetzzz

I would love to see a screenshot for us deprived mac users:confused:

22. zenGarden

zenGarden

It's a specific need for visualization purpose.

23. DennG

DennG

here you go (1080p)

@sonicether this is freakin' awesome!

Pulov, RB_lashman and smetzzz like this.
  24. smetzzz

smetzzz

Thanks @DennG ! Can you ramp up the bounced light intensity without blowing out speculars?

25. DennG

DennG

that's how it looks with the sun shining directly in

Pulov likes this.
  26. smetzzz

smetzzz

Looks amazing! The blowouts are fairly realistic considering its direct overhead sun. Thanks for sharing.

RB_lashman likes this.
  27. Zeblote

Zeblote

This ugly noise texture in the black part... what is it... why is it? :(

It's terribly distracting as it doesn't move with the camera rotation, after you notice the overlay you can't unsee it.

28. smetzzz

smetzzz

Hard to tell what noise you are talking about since the image just has two tones...

29. Zeblote

Zeblote

You'll need a screen that isn't set to "almost invisible" and then look carefully at the dark part. There are way more than just two tones.

You can also observe the effect by going into the dark area in the demo (behind the side curtains) and then slowly turning the camera.

30. smetzzz

smetzzz

I can't play the demo. Maybe someone else can chime in on your two tone image because all I see is black and tan and no my screen isn't almost invisible as you condescendingly suggest :) Perhaps you are working in a colorspace other than sRGB? Maybe post another reference.

31. sonicether

sonicether

That is dithering caused by the tonemapping image effect to reduce banding at low light levels due to Unity's limited color buffer precision.

RB_lashman likes this.
  32. Zeblote

Zeblote

Well, is there any way to fix it? Higher quality settings maybe? Or at least have it not be a static dirt overlay that doesn't rotate with the camera?

33. sonicether

sonicether

Unity's color buffer precision is limited to 16 bit float per channel. Perhaps the effect could be less distracting by animating the noise being applied to reduce dithering.

RB_lashman likes this.
  34. Slaghton

Slaghton

at 1680 x 1050 i'm getting 95 fps at fullscreen or windowed. Really nice =).
    Cpu is g860 dual core 3.0ghz
    GPU is 290 Sapphire Tri-x

RB_lashman likes this.
  35. Zeblote

Zeblote

Can the noise effect just be disabled completely?

36. Slaghton

Slaghton

Hm, I didn't notice this my first play through but i see what you mean about the static noise in dark area's. Its likely something that can't be disabled because its tied in with how the lighting works. You'd probably have to find a way to make it less noticeable/mask it.

37. RB_lashman

RB_lashman

it's worth noting that Sonic is talking about Unity's built-in tonemapping effect ... not something that is added by his GI solution

38. Slaghton

Slaghton

Ahh i see. I don't know to much about unity's technical stuff so i'll chill on the sidelines while people discuss it. It's not that noticeable to me so I don't really mind.

RB_lashman likes this.
  39. IronDuke

IronDuke

I tried the demo on my brother's computer. It's somewhat faster than mine, and his screen is way bigger.
    Processor: Phenom II X2 560 @3.31 GHz
    RAM: 12 Gigs
    GPU: Radeon HD 7950
    Resolution: 2560x1440
    FPS: 20-30
    Pretty cool.

--IronDuke

40. Slaghton

Slaghton

It seems screen resolution is what affects fps the most. Feels like if I had a 1080p screen my fps would be around 60 with 1440p around 35-40.

41. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

70-75fps on mine at 1440p using fraps to measure. Very nice!
    specs: 780 ti mildly overclocked.

Slaghton, sonicether and RB_lashman like this.
  42. Slaghton

Slaghton

ooo that's really nice

43. CWolf

CWolf

This G.I solution looks very good. I'd be very interested in it if support extended to point and spot lights, as mentioned before - space games use a lot of those =).

IronDuke likes this.
  44. Mauri

Mauri

Emissive Materials would be great, too.

45. Seith

Seith

That's right! And even medieval games with torches and mice running around need point lights GI...! :D

RB_lashman likes this.
  46. Elecman

Elecman

The thing I like about this approach is that it will work with dynamic objects. If you have the inside of a car or airplane cockpit, the GI should still work because in relation to the sun, it is still "static". But somehow Unity doesn't get that.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    Slaghton, RB_lashman and hopeful like this.
  47. IronDuke

IronDuke

Exactly! Most image effects are per-pixel, and this one is probably no exception. On my computer, with an ancient 1280-1024 monitor, I get around 50-60 FPS with a Radeon HD 5850. My brother's monitor has 2.8 times as many pixels as mine. :( I'm so jealous... :p

I agree. If I walk into a cave with my trusty knights, and we light a fire, I want to see the bounced light behind the rocks and my knights. In a newer setting, a flashlight tends to illuminate mostly by bounced lighting. Try it with the lights out and look in the opposite direction of the light, you'll see what I mean.

--IronDuke

48. DennG

DennG

Can't wait for this.
    Any news when it's coming?

RB_lashman likes this.
  49. smetzzz

smetzzz

The dev @sonicether just released his great SESSAO on the asset store. He will probably be working on this next and will release it when its ready.

RB_lashman likes this.
  50. RB_lashman

RB_lashman

actually - he's working on an update for his bloom right now :) but yeah - after he's done with that - he'll get back to working on the GI :D

PS. the SSAO is GREAT ... I mean - it has colour-bleeding, for crying out lout!! :D how cool is that?

blueivy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.