Search Unity

Fulldome Camera for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rsodre, Aug 29, 2018.

1. rsodre

rsodre

Hey!

Want to play in a dome? In a planetarium?

For Unity 2018+, use FulldomeCameraForUnity
    For Unity 5.6, use FulldomeCameraForUnity5

This plugin was inspired by this article, and relies on the Camera.RenderToCubemap method from Unity 2018.1. It will render your game's camera as a cubemap and distort it to a Domemaster format. The Unity 5 version uses a 6 cameras rig.

If we consider performance and quality, this solution is far from ideal. To make a cubemap, we need to render the scene (up to) 6 times, with 6 different cameras, one for each face of the cube. Rendering a good looking game once is already a challenge, everybody knows, just imagine six. Another problem is that some effects and shaders that depend on the camera position, like reflections, will look weird where the cube faces meet, because neigboring pixels were calculated for different cameras. Front-facing sprites commonly used on particles also will suffer from the same problem.

Ideally, Unity should provide us with a custom camera, that instead of using the usual frustum to raster each frame, would use our custom method that calculate rays from the camera to world, for each pixel. Like Cinema 4D plugins can do. But there's no way to do it in Unity :(

There's an issue in Unity Feedback that suggests to solve that problem. The request description don't sound like it, but the solution to the problem is the same (see my comment). Please give some votes.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    fherbst, sharkapps and IgnisIncendio like this.
  2. dpentecost

dpentecost

Hi! Thanks for this great tool. Works perfectly in 2018.3. But am I going crazy or does it not work in HDRP? Would love to put the fulldome camera on some of Keijiro's latest but I can't seem to get it to work with 2019 and/or visual effects graph. His LaspVFX would look great in the dome. Any tips?

3. rsodre

rsodre

Sorry, it doesn't work with HDRP yet, since it's camera is missing some events needed to process the final image.
    I tried a vertex shader approach in ShaderGraph, but also, we're missing some features to make it work.
    Caveats of Preview packages!

You can keep track here...
    https://github.com/rsodre/FulldomeCameraForUnity/issues/1

4. dpentecost

dpentecost

Yep, sorry I hadn't seen that when I posted here. Keep up the great work.

5. DigitalChaotics

DigitalChaotics