Search Unity

full tutorial series? good ones!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aprilx, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Aprilx

Aprilx

hi all!
    I was wondering if anyone knew of a full length unity tutorial series for preferably a 3d rpg game that covers all rpg elements such as levels skills powers etc and possibly a overview on basic modelling?

i dont mind if its not a free tutorial.

i have tried bergzerarcade and the tutorial is very out of date and incomplete.

any help would be great!

April

2. RvBGames

RvBGames

3. RvBGames

RvBGames

4. Aprilx

Aprilx

5. drewradley

drewradley

It's a full tutorial. Just not a full RPG tutorial. You won't find any RPG tutorials better or more complete than the ones at Bergzerg Arcade. The code is not all that out of date and you can download older versions of Unity to work on it. By the time you've finished all 285 of them, you should be able to easily update it and fill in any missing bits yourself. If you are still struggling after watching all of them watch them again.

If you are just wanting to make an RPG, try the Okashi Role Playing kit (or any of the other RPG kits sold in the asset store).

6. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Are you really going to watch a 200 part tutorial. You want something like that for free

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  7. Miziziziz

Miziziziz

look up Brackeys, his 'how to make a survival game" tutorial series covers a lot of the basics of rpg mechanics

8. Aprilx

Aprilx

bergzerg is a good tutorial, if you pay for the models be uses and dont mind that almost every episode is trying to fix errors in the last one...i also have asked him a few times to finish the series to no avail so whats the point...

but yeah a tutorial series like bergzerg but less error filled ? and complete!

9. DallonF

DallonF

There is no such thing as a "complete" tutorial. Programming is an art, and you can't just watch a video and turn into Van Gogh.

Instead of looking for a "complete RPG tutorial", aim to learn abstract concepts (character movement, stat tracking, AI, etc) and put those together like puzzle pieces to make the game you have in mind.

Also, if you're having this much difficulty learning from tutorials, I don't recommend making an RPG, as those are among the hardest and most complex genres to make from a programming perspective. Try a simple hack-n-slash or shoot-em-up instead.

10. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

You could do it, if you had it planned out like a lesson plan reading it from a script and I guess you would have to have the whole project already done before you started the tutorial, but I think it would require too much work especially if it was free.

11. Aprilx

Aprilx

yeah i know that, i already have a masters degree in software engineering and software science...

what i mean by complete is it doesn't just end halfway, when it says "this tutorial will guide you to make this game" i would expect the end result to be that game..not a bug filled incomplete mess, which bergzerg leaves you with. even if you buy his scripts.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  12. gryff

gryff

Aprilx - you might want to have a look at this series by Gabriel Williams from the cgcookie website:

Lunar Landing Series

Also by Gabe Williams on youtube:

Unity FPS series

Very good tuts with a nice calm style - the Lunar Landing series got me started with Unity. You can join cgcookie for a short period and get all the files used to experiment yourself.

Hope that helps.

cheers, gryff :)

13. Java

Java

I haven't browsed everything they have but check out 3dbuzz.com a great site with lots of good videos.

Other then that you can just search online for Unity3d tutorials and a lot of them will create a game. Inifinite Skills has a couple series. Search on eBay. Also if you go to YouTube and just type in Unity3d tutorial you can find a few different series.

14. landon912

landon912

I think most of your time would be wasted looking for a tutorial not covering basic C# since most of them focus on the "new" people to programming. Why don't you browse the documentation/reference manual to orient yourself with this API since you already know OOP programming?

15. dxcam1

dxcam1

Agreed, I don't get why you need tutorial. You should already be familiar with C-syntax and know calculus/linear alg/physics. Should take you a few hours of goofing around in mono to get a game going.

16. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k