Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Full Switch Case Not Being Executed

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Resilo, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Resilo

Resilo

when the following script is executed in the unity editor the only part that works is Debug.Log("got");

When i run a built stand a lone client this entire case code executes no problem

But when i run it in the unity editor the only line that is executed is Debug.Log("got");
    i do not receive any message for Debug.Log(whosentit.localusername); or any other console messages of any type regarding the execution of the case

furthermore
    I have debugged the whole case and every component possible and it is all working correctly.

I am mainly wondering about situations where a case such as this one stops with no error message

or known unity editor glitches where this can occur? or can there exists a condition where the switch is activated at the same time with 2 separate cases that can lead to an early break?

the only function i can get to work other then the Debug.Log("got"); is if i add a bool and change it to true or false

Code (CSharp):
    1.                 case 3:
    2.                     Debug.Log("got");
    3.                     localplayerobject.GetComponent<Menu>().challengwindoopen.SetActive(true);
    5.                     recivedbattlerequest whosentit = JsonUtility.FromJson<recivedbattlerequest>(content);
    6.                     Debug.Log(whosentit.localusername);
    7.                     localplayerobject.GetComponent<Menu>().challenger.text = "Challenger: " + whosentit.localusername;
    8.                     localstats.playerpartymine = whosentit.playerpartymine;
    10.                     localstats.challenger = whosentit.localusername;
    11.                     localplayerobject.GetComponent<playerstats>().beingchallenged = true;
    13.                     break;

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  2. lordofduct

lordofduct

Have you attached the debugger to Unity, placed a breakpoint at Debug.Log("got"), and see what happens when you step to the next line?

3. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

The username might be blank. Try

Debug.Log("Sent by: " + whossentit.localusername.ToString());

Also, you might consider a try/catch block, might be throwing an exception.

4. Resilo

Resilo

thanks finally an error to work with
    Code (CSharp):
    1. UnityEngine.UnityException: GetComponentFastPath can only be called from the main thread.
    2. Constructors and field initializers will be executed from the loading thread when loading a scene.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
unityunity