Search Unity

Full Screen Video

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by nvarcha, Mar 19, 2009.

1. nvarcha

nvarcha

Hi there,

I need to show some full screen video at some point.

Since Unity's quality for this is not good enough, I'm going to launch an Adobe Director program that shows the full screen video and then kills itself.

I have done the Director file, and I have the code to launch an external app from Unity. Everything is fine.

The problem is, when I launch the Director file (executable file), it loads but does not show at all. It just stays there, like waiting. If I do anything with the computer outside Unity, like, for instance, click into my Unity application window title bar, then the Director finally shows up. I don't even have to do alt-tab. Just clicking on the title bar does it.

I've tried this in full screen, windowed mode, with "Run in background" on and off.

Any idea how to do this?

Also, if anyone is using any other program (maybe faster) to launch full screen video I would love to know.

I'm pretty experienced with Director so I know that side is working properly.

It's like Unity is hoging up the CPU and not letting anything else run.

Thanks!

2. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Why would unity video not be of good enough quality?
    because you use on2vp6 in director through the flash xtra ?

3. nvarcha

nvarcha

Because my videos are 1360 by 768 at 30fps. And in Unity I get "ghosts" if I put it as a GUITexture because I can't make it 30fps, and also the video is compressed with a lower quality than the one I need.

4. livemixlove

livemixlove

NVarcha, did you ever fix your problem?

I'm currently demoing the pro version, and video quality of great concern to me. I can see that they have optimized the video for in game textures, but full screen video (like for a pre-rendered cutscene) is poor quality.

Is there a way to run high quality video, full screen, without skipped frames? Has anybody made any extensions, work-arounds that will do this?

Also, I'm a total newb. Is Unity's extensibility even flexible enough for me to write my own code to fix this type of problem. I guess I don't fully understand what types of things are customizable and what's not. Like can I say "pause render engine for 3d stuff, just focus on playing video."?

5. livemixlove

livemixlove

6. nvarcha

nvarcha

Hi there!

I didn't fix the problem, but worked around it, and that was acceptable.

I had to run the Unity app in windowed mode, instead of fullscreen mode.

I hope this is helps you.

Nico.

7. livemixlove

livemixlove

I'm beginning to think that Theora really *isn't* supported by Unity. Sure, the integration is pretty smooth. And, yes applying video textures is super easy. However, I tested an app where there was just one video texture on one plane, simulating a full screen video, and consistently on Macs (with both 128mb and 256mb graphics cards), the playback has very noticeable frame drops and has video artifacts (whatever it's called when not all of the video refreshes to the next frame at the same time, creating little slices across the screen when there is faster motion.) I thought maybe it was just the unity video converter, but if I convert independently of unity, then bring into the project, I get the same results. Then I thought, maybe it's because Theora sucks, but when I see how beautiful it looks in Firefox's HTML 5, I don't think it's the codec's fault.

I wish I had a screen shot, but my video capture won't reproduce the effect.

If unity people are listening, please clean this up. However theora is integrated, it's not working like it should on my machines (dual core 2GHZ macbook pro, 3GHZ Cuad-core Mac Pro ). Would it be possible to write a cortado (http://www.theora.org/cortado/) port for c# so that I can run Theora vids in my gui, or at least in some way that gets rid of these display problems?

Also, if people are curious why I'm so obsessive with clean video, I'm trying to use unity to make an interactive video+3D installation. Without good video, I got nothin.

8. monark

monark

Why can't you play it in the GUI now? It may not solve the problem but you can just make a MovieTexture and then apply it to a GUI element like a static Texture2D

9. livemixlove

livemixlove

The video playback is the same when the video texture is applied to a GUI element. :(

But maybe not if I write my own little theora pluggin. Or maybe I just need a 512mb graphics card...?

10. Rendang1963

Rendang1963

Hi Livemixlove,

I am experiencing similar problems with QT movie playback in Unity. No way to get a 1280x768 QT at 30fps (I tried different codecs)to run smooth at fullscreen a quadcore and a GTX 260 Nvidia card.

I am also working on an interactive 3D presentation were I need video playback at a professional quality level. So I guess I am stuck with my "old" software. A shame I started to really like Unity 3D. Maybe for other solutions, in the end it is a game engine and not a presentation software.....
    :)

11. rmp

rmp

Maybe you can run another program to read your video. In my project, I need to display a full movie with very large bitrate, so I can't use movieTexture, and a I have programming a little C# player with DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback and I use the C# Process.Start("myProg.exe")in unity script to run the video on fullscreen. If you want I can send to you my code.

aisyahzaki likes this.
  12. aisyahzaki

aisyahzaki

Hye. I also run C# code and i want to play a full screen video and it will be close video if user click x button on that full screen video. can you help me with C# coding? thank you

13. TopgameMediaCrew

TopgameMediaCrew

Is there a video playpack implementation that can solve the issue ?