Search Unity

Full-screen 1080p on Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by George Foot, Jun 16, 2012.

1. George Foot

George Foot

My Mac Mini's desktop renders in 60Hz 1080p, but Unity full-screen apps only manage 1080i when I request 1920x1080x60Hz. I can't see any reference to interlacing in the documentation or API. Lower resolution modes do work without interlacing. This TV is an LG 47LM620T connected by HDMI.

Presumably the TV advertises two 1080 modes - does Unity ignore the duplicate without prefering the non-interlaced variant?

2. stimarco

stimarco

This is unusual, but some TVs—particularly older / cheaper ones—aren't that good at advertising their services properly.

It's possible that Unity is just confused; it should be getting the available display resolutions and refresh rates from the underlying operating system, so if OS X can run 1080p for its desktop, it ought to be reporting 1080p availability for games too.

Have you tried running other games on the Mac Mini and seen the same results? Or do they usually pick up the 1080p option and use that?

3. UnlimitedEdition

UnlimitedEdition

I have a mac mini... if it isn't the best one they make, he'll have problems starting a game in 1080p let alone playing one.

4. George Foot

George Foot

I don't have any third party games for it, I might be able to find something on Steam though. Otherwise I'll have to look up how to get the mode list from the OS though and see what it looks like.

There isn't really a "best" Mac Mini - this one is the one with better graphics capability though. In other respects, however, it's not as good as the server-optimised one.

5. stimarco

stimarco

Not true. Intel's integrated GPUs may not be setting the gaming world alight, but they can handle 1080p. Lots of Mac Mini owners use theirs as entertainment hubs, so 1080p is important for them!