Search Unity

Full Mouse Control Management

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by cdalexander, Mar 9, 2010.

1. cdalexander

cdalexander

Folks have been complaining about Mouse functionality (or lack there of) for years now. I think it's about time we put this one to rest.

Most recent post:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=272463

I'm developing desktop applications and I can't manage the mouse so the user does not accidentally click outside of the window, or snap the mouse to a point or button (smart mouse), or a whole host of other mouse control problems.

Of course there is the plugin fix, but this needs to be native so we can be compliant cross-platform (Mac vs Windows).

As a development application, it is essentially a requirement to have full control over all inputs and outputs of the game and API.

PLEASE, let's finally get this fixed up.

2. techmage

techmage

I NEED THIS TOO

3. taoa

taoa

4. Jessy

Jessy

What's that? A continent or something? I live on North America; do you have a solution for us too?

5. cdalexander

cdalexander

We lost the solution. It was a neighboring island beside Atlantis. There was said to be 3 copies written, one was on the island, one was brought and hidden in a Mayan Temple, and the last is buried under the right paw of the Egypt Sphinx.

So -- if it's not done right and requires imported DLL's (just like the plugin I suggested originally), it's not SOLVED. :)

6. Vert

Vert

Indeed, you can't compile that to work on a mac or Wii, PS3 or 360. Built in support is necessary otherwise the create once and compile for multiple platforms aspect would be completely useless. Besides, who wants to be tied to Windows? I lke cross-platform support!

7. taoa

taoa

100% true. And then some.

Sorry if I tried. I'll make sure not to anymore.

Again, really, I'm sorry I tried to help. My sincere apologies.

8. Jessy

Jessy

Don't be so negative! :(

PCs disgust me, but your efforts and willingness to share certainly do not!

I was honestly curious if you had/found solutions for not-Windows.

9. taoa

taoa

No, we're probably going to try to get it working on OSX as Steam is coming out on it, but as of now, Windows is the only platform it's working on. However I suspect the equivalent System functions calls would do the trick. I just don't know where to look for C++ managed compiled libraries on OSX, and even less if it's possible to import those in Unity.

Also, not knowing you personally made it quite hard to understand you had something against PCs (which baffles me btw).
    And finally... You live in North America? Don't you ever get some sleep?

10. Jessy

Jessy

I don't like computers much, but I like making things that aren't physical objects. Windows makes me feel like I'm dealing with a computer, but OS X and Apple's hardware makes me feel like I'm dealing with an art/music tool. To each his or her own.

I tend to take a nap after my mind-numbing day job and then stay up in the middle of the night, when my mind is most alert.

11. taoa

taoa

Small frequent doses of sleep, sounds healthy!
    I remember reading about some experience by a solitary sailor (race/competition kind) sleeping 30 minutes every 1h30 during a few months. Apparently is the best thing ever. It's just not adapted to our society.

Have we drifted away from the subject or WHAT?

12. Vert

Vert

Yes, don't be so negative! It's a great solution for those who only want to use Windows and develop a game for Windows.

It's just not fully solved as Unity likes to have cross platform capabilities. Although I have not used it or have a need for your work yet, I do appreciate your contribution that you are giving to the community.

13. cdalexander

cdalexander

Hey Taoa -- I was just being playfully sarcastic (at least I thought) and playing on the words. I knew what you meant -- I use the same "unsolved" solution too since we have to if we want any control.

I'm still learning about Unity's little inconsistencies, peeves, limitations, etc. Short-cuts and Hacks like you mentioned are so important since it satisfies a lot of people who would have nothing otherwise, even though it's not quite the way it should work.

Jesse has the same sleep schedule as I do except sometimes I don't get the nap in (due to 3 children screaming at the top of their lungs).

I wish us all luck in getting this issue fixed! :)

14. taoa

taoa

I know, but add lack of sleep to long hours to absence of recognition from my peers to working for weeks on stuff I hate (GUI) to repetitive headaches and that's what you'll get.

Back on topic:
    OSX: invoking system-provided functionalities for controlling the mouse cursor sounds like the solution. How to do it on a Mac? Nobody knows.

Web player: although it might be a bad idea to restrain the mouse to the game area when you're in a web navigator (reflection on how to get back the system mouse cursor must be made that doesn't involve Alt-tabbing or pressing the Flag key - yes, on windows. replace to whatever key you got on whatever machine you have), the same system-based solution can be made.

Iphone: what do you mean your game isn't running full screen on an Iphone?

XBox: no issue. It's always full screen. Wait. What mouse?

any other platform I forgot?

And YES, it should all be managed by the engine itself, not us. And I curse every day my company still hasn't bought Unity license with the code.