Search Unity

Feedback Frustration

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by ImpossibleRobert, Sep 15, 2020.

1. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Hi,

after thinking wow Cinemachine could be exactly what I am looking for I checked out the tutorial videos and installed the 2.6.2 package and went ahead. My scene setup is like that :there is a VR Oculus rig with the default center eye camera and I have another camera that I overlay to have a non VR editor overlayed on the PC, hiding the VR cam. Now I wanted to create a third camera controlled by Cinemachine to do automatic camera play-throughs throughout the level, following the player I control. Here my observations:
    • adding a new camera and putting the cinemachine brain on it will add the brain also to the VR cam. I never told it to do so. Why is this happening?
    • I created 4 virtual cameras in the corners of the level
    • I let them follow my player, which is a CharacterController, both follow and lookat
    • Now the most weird thing happens, when the cinemachine camera is active, the player moves on his own, does not react to keyboard input anymore and so on. It is completely messed up for some reason that I could not find out yet. If I deactivate it, I can control the player again but the rotation is offset somehow moving it wildly throughout the level.
    Is there a way to introduce Cinemachine into a combined VR/2D camera setup like that less intrusively? All I wanted was to add this additional camera that is controlled by it, not make my game a slave to Cinemachine ;-) And it should behave nicely if I deactivate the containing GameObject again and just vanish.

Has anybody had such effects as well with his character controller?

Cheers, Robert

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

It is quite possible to have a separate independent Cinemachine world alongside your VR one. However, you must take some care in setting it up. Have you tried following this sequence?
    1. Start with a clean pure-VR scene, no Cinemachine.
    2. Create a new Unity Camera. This will be your CM vcam. Add a CM Brain to it.
    3. Create CM vcams as you like. No new CM Brains will be added to anything because there already is one in the scene
    4. The CM vcams will control the CM camera/Brain only, they will have no impact on anything else. When you want to use the CM world, activate the CM Camera, and deactivate all the others
    I don't know why you're having problems with your controller. Is it possible that it's somehow depending on
    Camera.main
    or something like that? This might be problematic if there are multiple Cameras in the scene and you're not taking care to manage which camera it is.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    ImpossibleRobert likes this.