Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Frustration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZO5KmUG6R, Jul 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZO5KmUG6R

ZO5KmUG6R

I can't think of a better way to title this.

Am I alone on feeling this way? : Unity is frustrating, very frustrating.

Collab: This is a paid service, yet it needs to be troubleshooted at least a dozen times a week. Not just for me, but for all project members. Sometimes it shows up as a grey box, sometimes it freezes when pushing, etcetcetctc

I'm not exaggerating when I say, from the stress of collab constantly not working, and the stress of working in general, these combined and I ended up in hospital and getting assigned an urgent cardiology appointment because my heart rate wasn't even close to normal. Yes, I ended up *in hospital* from using this engine.

Online builds: Great feature, but why, when a build fails and something Unity side is at fault (ex. the process instantly exiting), does this count towards our build health when our build should've succeeded?

Profiler: Why oh why oh WHY does this force me to use the timeline view so much? The timeline view is beyond laggy when there are millions of function calls, that I sometimes need to just kill Unity from the task manager if I forget to move to the hierarchy view.

One of my all time faaaaaaaavorite (might be some slight sarcasm here) moments with the profiler, is when I connected to a mobile build, and Unity instantly allocated over
    Answers: Why is it that whenever I go to check answers.unity.com, it's down for one reason or another? The answers site seems like it can't stay up for more than a week without going down.

Unity Hub and QOL stuff:
    - It's possible to get recursive messages showing on the bottom, so you always have a popup down there
    - Can't make a project in an empty folder.. why?
    etcetc. Even using this app has gotten frustrating.

iOS Builds:
    Unity makes the default targets "iphoneos" and not "iOS", Among other things.
    I watched a friend make an iOS build and I was amazed that every time, it was a 10 minute setup process after exporting from Unity.

Then when he updated a package, and exported it, the build failed. He had to reimport all assets and redo all the pre-setup things again.

So basically, the simple act of updating a package turned into an hour of lost time.

tl;dr
    All of this is so so so frustrating. I've been in hospital over it once. I'm starting to lose my motivation over issues with the new input system again.

I don't know what I should be doing. I feel like I should just quit development in Unity. There's been so many days where I've cried, I've screamed at the top of my lungs at stuff, etc.

I've been programming for 15 years and Unity makes me want to give up and pursue a different profession. :/

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

You should deal with your health, as furstration over programming difficulties normally does not send people into hospital. Especially when you claim 15 years of experience.

Additionally, I'd advise to try replicating what unity does by yourself. From scratch. This will give you a better perspective and will allow you to appreciate what unity does.

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Consider switching from Collab to an alternative. You really don't need in editor integration.

4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

For specific issues, please pose questions in the appropriate forum with specifics. If you believe you have a bug, please file a bug report.

Closing, as rant threads are typically hyperbolic and don’t really make for useful community discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.