Search Unity

Frustrated with the new Microsoft "Mixed Reality" VR headsets

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by vice39, Sep 23, 2017.

1. vice39

vice39

I'm having a really hard time getting my Unity 2017.2.0b11 project to run reliably on the Acer VR headset. Sometimes it works, sometimes it displays a black screen, sometimes it crashes, right now it refuses to run in the headset anymore. It only shows up on desktop. Reboot didn't help.

I'm pretty close to giving up, any ideas?

2. mrgreengenes

mrgreengenes

I just got my free dev ACER from the vr summit this week. Guessing we'll see some progress
    shortly here. REALLY want steamvr support implemented.

3. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Odd, as I've had no issues with the Acer headset since i received it a month ago. Has only gotten better with newer Unity builds/ creators update.
    So long as you are up to date, you shouldn't have issues.
    *Note, there is a custom Patch beta build for MR, check the Sticky at the top of the thread.

P.S. @mrgreengenes AFAIK, SteamVR support will be after launch (but hopefully before the Holidays :S)

4. ScottF

ScottF

Vice President, Platforms

We are working closely with Microsoft to address issues. Yesterday we released a custom build of release candidate 2 - see the new sticky at the top of this forum for details. Among other things the displaying black screen issue should be addressed.

5. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Thanks @ScottF but it's a shame this couldn't BE part of the 2017.2 release. Leaving it to an unnamed "patch" release is just bad considering how critical some of those fixes are.

6. wccrawford

wccrawford

The patch releases are released early as a courtesy. They're *better* than what you'd get if they didn't do patch releases. I don't see the point of complaining that they exist. Not every fix is ready in time for the main releases.

Ostwind likes this.
  7. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Oh I don't complain about the existence of Patch releases @wccrawford , they help when there are bugs found in the current release.
    What I do complain about is critical changes (which can be breaking) left out of a release (before it's release) only to be added in a Patch release later. We saw this in 5.2 with the UI builds where they API was broken and then fixed in a Patch release, with no mechanism or platform defines to rely on, it broke MANY assets for that.

With the Oct17 official launch looming, leaving such MR critical fixes out of the build yet to release, means titles will either miss the launch or have limitations or broken features until they are resolved (or horrendous workarounds).

I love what Unity do and they do now seem to be changing for the better, but decisions like this still make my blood boil.