Search Unity

From VS Code to Sublime Text

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by Shushustorm, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Hey everyone!

I have been having trouble with VS Code's speed. When working on files with a few thousand lines of code, Code gets quite slow. So I looked for comparisons and read Sublime is faster.
    And indeed, it is.

Here are some positive aspects, as well as negative, that I encountered while trying to switch to Sublime.
    Also, maybe there are people who know more about Sublime and have some extra info that may be useful.

First, the positive aspects:

- Compared to VS Code, Sublime is incredibly fast. I read about >10x speed up and was sceptic at first, but it really is much faster.

- You can hide most of the UI, which is very useful if you don't need most UI for most of the time.

That said, there are some negative aspects as well, compared to VS Code:

1. I was unable to find a way to enable a small area on the right side of each area that displays errors and find (cmd+F) results.

2. Some of the shortcuts could use better key mapping, most of them are needlessly complicated (fortunately, you can customize that).

3. So far, I haven't found a way to show errore.

4. So far, I haven't found a way to use code completion.

5. Goto definition doesn't seem to work.

6. You cannot push areas when dragging another area's border.

7. It seems somewhat difficult to manage tabs (or maybe it's just unfamiliar).

I am using macOS. I'm not sure if some of this is different depending on OS.

Again, Sublime Text seems like a great code editor so far, its speed is incredible and I like that you can hide unnecessary UI so that it doesn't distract. Unfortunately, right now, I cannot make efficient use of Sublime, though.

Best wishes,
    Shu

2. Enrico-Monese

Enrico-Monese

3. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Thanks for the reply!
    Unfortunately, I have tried quite a few instructions I found online numerous times, including the one you mentioned. I have been failing to set it up for about 7 hours and now, I just leave it like that, without errors or autocomplete, or goto definition. I am sometimes using Sublime now for writing new code, but still VS Code for debugging.
    If someone can suggest something specific that I might not have tried yet, I might try again if required time investment is low.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019