Search Unity

From the Ground Up.

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Meanderman, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Meanderman

Meanderman

Hello,

I have the interest to make a game with terraforming. The involved actions would include digging (including "mining"), piling (creating mounds), grading (levelling) and creating slopes. I would like for the terrain to be made up of a grid of cubic 1/3 meters (~13in.) or cubic feet but I do not want a "cubed" world. I would like the corners to be rounded or smooth. I'd like any digging or piling to manipulate in increments of .1 (10%). The only game that I've played of that comes close to what I want is Life Is Feudal: Your Own and I've been told that Wurm is also similar.

I do have some knowledge of coding and can pick up anything new fairly quick but I'm very limited in game development information. Simply put, there's too much information "out there" and it gets confusing. I'm looking for some "direction" to achieve my desired goals concerning the terrainforming aspect of the game I'd like to develop. The game will include hunting, building and farming as well, for what it's worth. Thanks in advance.

- Meanderman

2. tjmaul

tjmaul

I'm sure you're already aware that this is really advanced stuff, but just to give you some pointers that might be interesting for you, here are two excellent videos by Sebastian Lague:

The whole channel is well worth a visit!