Search Unity

From point to point with keyboard

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by lambar, Feb 2, 2016.

1. lambar

lambar

I'm pretty fresh in Unity. I fell in love at first sight and I have an idea for a simple game for my children. It has to be a project that calms restless minds.

Graphically very simple game, because the content is the key to have fun here.
    If I make a demo then I will show it with a big big joy, but now I'm stuck.
    I looked through the basic Unity tutorials, even bought uScript, but I do not know where to start.

I need to make a point system deployed in space. You can only move from point to point always choosing one with the keyboard.

For example, I reach the point A and getting a message describing the contents of this point.
    This points are different rooms in the building.
    Then the system tells me that I can choose the direction to the left, forward, right or back.

Along the way there will be some sounds put in the space. It's for greater playability, this points will emit the sounds of real rooms.

Maybe there is a tutorial showing similar moving system?

I'm not a programmer, so I bought uScript,
    but it will be pleasure to learn something completely new. I mean the base of C #, it's pretty cool challenge.

But for now I sit and shiver with fear that there are so many materials to learn in Internet, and I do not know where to start to save my time. Unfortunately, I have little time, so it's very important to me an effective approach to the subject.

For every tip I will be extremely grateful.

2. jhocking

jhocking

Sorry I'm confused, you are or you aren't willing to learn programming? Because I doubt there is anything out there that's exactly what you have in mind, so you will need to program it.

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It might help if you uploaded a sketch of what you're trying to build. I can't quite picture it.

I'm imagining something like: there are a series of locations on the screen, plus some object that represents the player. When you press one of the arrow keys, the player object moves smoothly to one of the neighboring nodes. Is that the basic idea?

4. lambar

lambar

@jhocking
    I'm sorry, English is not my native language. I understand very much, but I find it hard to write in English.
    I made a mental shortcut in that sentence :)

I meant that uScript will help in the whole process, but probably without coding I can't do the project. So it will be an interesting challenge to learn how to talk to the machine using C#.
    Currently I'm talking in Polish to my beloved machine
    and it looks that sometimes it understand! ;-)

@JoeStrout
    You understood it perfectly.
    For those who are curious what I wrote, and my writing can be a bit unreadable for them, I put schema.

I'm starting at the point Start.
    I got a message where I am.
    I have two options, move left or right (with arrows keys).

I choose to point A.
    The cube pretending a player moves smoothly,
    similar like a point on the map.

Cube stops at point A.
    I got a message where I am.
    Then I can choose one from four directions of movement: point B, point C, point D or go back.

This is the basis concept because messages are generated randomly from a pool possible for certain situation in certain point. The idea is to not blow boredom :)
    Sounds arranged around the points will also affect the playability.

Attached Files:

5. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

OK. I don't know anything about uScript, but I suspect it can do this without any custom (C#) coding.

So, I suggest you spend some time with their tutorials, and then if you're still not sure how to proceed, post on their forums for help.

6. lambar

lambar

OK, thanks.