Search Unity

From GameMaker to Unity3D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by realvasion, Oct 27, 2014.

1. realvasion

realvasion

Hi there,

I have used game maker for almost 2 years but now I found it very limited especially in 3D so I searched a lot on internet and finally found Unity3D but I’m still not sure about it that should I use C# or UnityScript I know that there is a lot discussion on forum and I found that UnityScript is a little easier than C# what make me ask is:

1. I know how to code in GML but I am neither JavaScript nor C# developer and I never used any of them so, which one should I learn and In which case Javascript is easier than C# ?

2. According [Unity Blog] only 18% using the UnityScript others are C#. So, does it mean they will stop supporting the UnityScript in future as they did for Boo?

3. If I create a 2D game and decide to create the 3D version of it how hard it will be? e.g [2D Mario and 3D Mario].

Many thanks in advance :)

2. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

1. It's generally always been somewhat of a constant battle between using Unityscript or C#. But I'd say learn C#, since you know neither.

2. I think that has been asked before supposedly it's very unlikely.

3. I'm assuming you're talking about the same exact gameplay/camera/physics angles etc. It wouldn't be too hard. Generally the scripting would remain very similar in terms of gameplay. Just expect much more headache in the animation/graphics/shaders area.

3. RoTru

RoTru

Or use Playmaker and generally not have to do much scripting, it's probably something you could easily pick up coming from Gamemaker

4. realvasion

realvasion

hey! thanks for replying,
    just have one more question How easy is unity script than C# [can you tell me in percentage like 20% or 30% or etc that using UnityScript is easier than C#]?
    and if I choose C# is there any complete training series just like walkerboystudio.com its a complete training series but it in UnityScript so is there any for C# which includes everythings like just like the walkerboystudio.com

5. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

unity3d.com/learn

Has nearly everything a beginner needs.

There isn't really a percentage of C# being easier than Unityscript. They both have their ups and downs. Once you understand the lingo of C# or Unityscript they're both easy. Most scripts can be converted manually from C# to Unityscript. So that there pretty much tells you that it's just the format and lingo of the code.

6. Cygon4

Cygon4

Since UnityScript, C# (and Boo) all target the same runtime, all three require you to do the same thing, just with different keywords and structure.

Still, out of the two, I'd say UnityScript is more difficult. You'll find less help and it's a less tidy language that's mostly there to attract web and ActionScript developers. Personal opinion, of course.

7. realvasion

realvasion

thanks guys I really appreciate it, I found Unity forum much better than GameMaker Forum [where you get answer after 24 hours:mad:] btw I will go with C# so, does anyone know a tutorial series of creating a game e.g[platform or racing orpuzzle or etc..] using C#?

8. Wrymnn

Wrymnn

Me as well, moved from GameMaker to Unity3D after several android games and one survival zombie game(bigger project).

Now I regret I didn`t moved to Unity much sooner.
    From my experience, GML is similar to JavaScript. Like the syntax, but you will have to learn stuff like rigidbody.addforce etc. anyway.

Myself I use C#, why? Because I wanted to learn something completely new.

It was kinda strange to do this:

Code (csharp):
    1.  Vector3 name = new Vector3(0,0,0);
    I cursed why it wasn`t simple enough to do this and it required that stupid new.

Code (csharp):
    1.  Vector3 name = Vector3(0,0,0);
    But when you get to C#, you will get used to these kinds of strange things.

9. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules

There are 4 projects created by the Unity team and a butt load more on YouTube. I suggest you be thorough with the basics found in the learn section and don't forget to use the documentation.