Search Unity

From a hobby to a business for indie game developers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dilmerval, Sep 22, 2018.

1. dilmerval

dilmerval

When you begin making games you simply see it as a hobby, then downloads start and you realize a need to make your dream into a business.

It is also important to look at all aspects of a business and in this video I focus on talking about why is so important to form a business even if you are just starting out as a indie game developer.

Thanks

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Can you like... put [VIDEO] in your thread titles? I keep clicking them thinking it's a place where somebody's asking for advice.

xVergilx, Ony and angrypenguin like this.
  3. Ony

Ony

Same. It's super cool you're making videos but I'm here for discussion mostly. Maybe start a single thread with your videos in it?

4. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

I thought this was a real thread, not another trash ad.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  5. ToshoDaimos

ToshoDaimos

At least he is contributing something for free.

6. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

Is that what you say to spam? If I put you in front of a firing squad, would it please you because you got free bullets.

The people that contribute something for free, is everyone else on the forum. This is a shameful plug, and one of a dozen. I'm going real nice on you because I suspect you are young.

Having said that, there don't seem to be any actual rules about using Unity's platform for shameless advertising.

vlaidusername likes this.
  7. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

I second this. You don't see anyone else making a new thread each time they post to their blog.

vlaidusername, Ony and angrypenguin like this.
  8. Ryiah

Ryiah

A single thread would be more practical too because then people would be exposed to the previous videos in addition to any new content. At least those who like me can't be bothered to follow the video to the YouTube page it belongs to.

Martin_H and Ony like this.
  9. Murgilod

Murgilod

Antony-Blackett likes this.
  10. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I don't personally mind that bit if it's a starting point for a discussion, but these do come across as very "fire and forget". I haven't paid much attention to most of the threads, but from what I've seen once the video is posted there's no actual discussion except from other people. The only responses from the OP I recall seeing are thanking people for comments or referring to another video. As a result I feel that these threads are talking at the community here, rather than engaging with it. This is a forum, it's for discussion.

one_one, Martin_H, Ony and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Link isn't working for me. I'm getting the "requested search could not be found" error.

That's the extent of them (both from memory and searching by post).

12. Murgilod

Murgilod

Eh, just click on his profile and hit "all content by this user" if it's not working. It's just a link to that.

13. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

He has decent content in his videos... I'm sure the moderators will be aware if he's breaking some rules.

GarBenjamin and Ryiah like this.
  14. Ryiah

Ryiah

Videos that, as far as I'm able to determine, are not being monetized in any way. I can understand wanting to minimize the number of threads being created but beyond that there's no reason to overreact in the manner that a certain individual has.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  15. FuguFirecracker

FuguFirecracker

Read the title.
    Immediately recognized the style.
    Just popped in to find the "Ignore" button.

I do hope it works in the manner in which I expect, and I won't have to read anymore of these titles.

16. Murgilod

Murgilod

I COMPLETELY forgot that the ignore button makes it so the threads don't pop up in the listing anymore, thanks for the reminder!

17. ToshoDaimos

ToshoDaimos

He is "advertising" a FREE video. He doesn't want to sell you anything. You are attacking a guy who tries to teach people some stuff for FREE. I understand him. He wants to get some reputation and recognition by doing something GOOD for FREE for you, but you scorn him.

There is also nothing "shameful" in advertising.

18. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Though I agree with you I dont like the tone of some people in here. Get some manners.

19. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

Had to scroll down to the last post to find a decent answer. From all the impolite things you all wrote, the only one that should be here is the advise to keep every video in a single thread. I also prefer text over video because i control the speed and point of reading but the guy is trying to offer something for free, dont bash him.

20. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Me too. This is in fact the main reason that I haven't paid much attention to the threads in general. The way my brain works a video is quite difficult to consume alongside doing other things.

Ryiah, Liminal-Ridges and Ony like this.
  21. Martin_H

Martin_H

22. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Personal attacks vs attacking an entire industry is not the same thing

23. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

You're wrong. You clearly have no idea, they never taught me about shame in my advertising classes though so who knows. He's premeditatedly taking advantage of a nice community, in future hopes of earning money off his bland videos. You're gonna stand there and tell me you don't see a pattern? I'm just a guy with a single opinion, but you called me out personally.

24. Ryiah

Ryiah

Nothing wrong with having an opinion. It's how you express said opinion that matters.

25. vlaidusername

vlaidusername

Its nice if you are making video's, you can be doing amazing stuff but please don't be annoying with it...

26. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

I apologize. I am not in my living room. Somebody had to say something though.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  27. Antypodish

Antypodish

I don't see any issue so far. Just skipping quick through vid, content is relevant.

But that should take indeed single thread. Otherwise point making single post get lost in deep deep ocean of forum posts, to be never found. No one will ever be looking for them.

Also, I see a bit missing point of posting them here at all. Author is not participating in discussion. Hence even if goal is to promote itself, while providing content, is executed badly.

Definitely this.
    It is a bit annoying not seeing form of video tagging, if that what main purpose of it is. Since Unity forum tagging appears to be broken. I feel therefore as click bites. So no suprise, people may get a bit upset.

What is your problem with it? You can make a content, or game, make it public and monetize in a way you like if that is the goal. Is better than for example games, with popping up adverts all over the place. I don't see taking advantage of anyone. If I can help for watching it, to help person earning, no a problem. I don't watch adverts anyway.

Could say, that adding signature to promote content, is "taking advantage of nice community". To be not hypocritical, technically should remove signature.

People complain for things that are expensive. People complain for too much ads. People complain for lack of content .... People complain for free stuff. What a weird world :rolleyes:

You know you got option to ignore watching, reading, or even replaying, if you utilize free will ...