Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

From 2020.1 to 2020.2 (and URP 8 to 9)

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by transat, Apr 20, 2020.

1. transat

transat

Opened a copy of my 2020.1 project in 2020.2 (and bumped URP from 8 to 9) most things were working aside from 2 issues with assets I have:
    - Massive Clouds... the position of clouds changes in world space when I move my camera.
    - Advanced Terrain Grass... the grass doesn’t draw for the first cascade unless I disable MSA (but keep HDR enabled)

Any idea how I can fix this at my end?

Cheers.

EDIT: turns out this was related to upgrading URP to 9.x. Working fine in 2020.2 and URP 8.x

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hmm... while not strictly an alpha question, it would be a better thing to ask what changed. As you're using URP, it's unlikely to be an Alpha issue but an URP issue.

My initial thinking is that it's probably depth related, or perhaps camera stacking?

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@9.0/changelog/CHANGELOG.html

It'll be the changes from 8 to 9, and is far more likely to be your issue. However, URP 9 is available on 2020.1 if you want to go and check that (to eliminate 2020.2 being the issue).

Can you spot anything that might affect your assets in the list above? Feel free to forward that to asset authors too.

Good luck looking for it but my feeling is it might be worth checking if it is an alpha issue. Because if it's actually a beta issue then the asset authors will be much more likely to fix it as it's headed toward release before too long. If it is a beta issue, submit a bug with those assets in it, and let Unity know - it may be beyond a simple fix your end so determining this early is in your benefit.

(Heck throw a bug report up anyway)

transat likes this.
  3. transat

transat

Thanks. Yeah, I feel it could be a URP issue instead but there was no specific upgrade guide for 9 last time I checked so no way for me to know what’s changed without looking through GitHub.

My plan is indeed to test out URP 9 on 2020.1 to check. Will post here if I find out more. As for the asset authors I’ll give them a head’s up but find that asset devs generally they don’t care too much about alpha and preview versions! Don’t like being the bearer of bad news. They’re frustrated enough as it is by all the changes, which also come as a surprise to them.

4. transat

transat

Confirming this is a URP issue and not to do with 2020.2

ROBYER1 and hippocoder like this.
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Cheers, feel free to chuck 'em a bug report about that please if you can :)

6. transat

transat

Im assuming it’s not a bug but an as-yet undocumented breaking change (not unlike the ones that popped up between URP 7 and 8). So I’ve just posted about in the URP forum to alert the relevant parties. I’ll wait for confirmation that it’s unintended behaviour before I file a bug report. Cheers @hippocoder

hippocoder likes this.