Search Unity

Resolved Fresnel + Normal Map = Doesn't work?

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by romanpapush, Jun 18, 2019.

1. romanpapush

romanpapush

Hello,

I'm trying to get Fresnel node working with a Normal Map.
    This is my setup:

The preview on the final node itself is the result I'm aiming for. But in scene view it looks like this:

(I'm just outputting the result to Color. Object in the image is a heavily subdivided disk with vertex offset of the same input b/w map)

Am I doing something wrong? I've tried every imaginable combination of different spaces, transforming those spaces, but still nothing.

Thank you in advance.

2. bgolus

bgolus

You have your Normal From Height node set to output in tangent space. That's fine, and necessary if you want to use the Normal Strength node on it, but it does mean you'll need to transform it from tangent to world space before using it in the fresnel node, or using a tangent space view direction.

Also normal blends only really work if both inputs are in tangent space.

pol_sanjuan likes this.
  3. romanpapush

romanpapush

Hello, @bgolus

Thank you for your reply. You're completely right about Normal Blend node. (For whoever stumbling upon this thread in the future: World space blending works with "Add" node).

But in the end, it turned out I was working on such a large scale (building a sky), that I needed to set the normal map strength to the thousands to start seeing the effect...

Sometimes replicating the same shader structure on basic shapes/scale does the trick :)