Search Unity

Fresh "Pirates of new Horizons" Preview and Trailer !

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by warby, Feb 29, 2012.

1. warby

warby

new trailer new public build we call it a preview not a demo but thats basically what it is ... and we are taking preorders now ... so show us some indie love and spread the word :)

Pirates of New Horizons Pre-Order Trailer - YouTube

you can play it for free in your browser here:

http://www.piratesofnewhorizons.com/

I hope you like it ... there is a ton of sweat and blood of mine in this !

some rad people here from the board are in the credits that helped us big time at some point ! have a look if you are in ^^

2. beck

beck

This looks great! The aesthetic is spot on, fantastic work. From the trailer, the game looks very fun! I will check it out the demo this evening.

I remember the prop pack you made for Dystopia a few years ago. Your work has come a long way!

3. Priske415

Priske415

Always happy to see updates to this game, Ive been a fan from the start. Keep it up!

4. Wattshout

Wattshout

Great Work! Love the style and art.

5. Obatztrara

Obatztrara

Best unity game I've ever seen so far! Great art style and animations.

The movement felt a little jerky, but that might be the webplayer.

Website = bookmarked. ;-)

6. ModernCGI

ModernCGI

Wow looks great! Can you please tell me who the music is by? I love the style and the music makes it 10x better.

7. eteeski

eteeski

this is really awesome! I'm totally doing a video commentary on this for my youtube channel.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The art is fantastic but I think the name is quite bland.

I also have a problem with the logo: the "of new" part of the logo is confusingly small and breaks the logo/branding of it.

"Pirates of new horizons" ? consider renaming if you have even a tiny opportunity to do so. I suspect it is because english is not your native language. Other than this I am really in love with the look of the game.

I think this game will do very well.. but there is the potential to really make a brand out of this, a killer identity.

When playing the game I was really happy with the beautiful visuals but I feel there is a problem with how it plays: when you attack in the air, your movement stops and you drop to the ground - it does not feel too natural.

There seems to a minor bug where she will not reset where she is looking if you attack a lot too (but fixes itself when you stop attacking)

Great work, certainly overall better than what I have been doing so please do not take my comments to heart, I only mean to be critical to see improvement on top of what is already fantastic.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  9. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I love this game :D, ages ago i played a demo and it was great, exept the grapling hook animation i hope you fixed that :D

10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Can't agree that the title is atrocious; I rather like it, and anyway it's certainly far too late to change it now.

--Eric

11. JRavey

JRavey

The game looks great and only adds to the pile of evidence that Unity can produce great games, it's their user base which produces uninspiring work (including me).

12. angel_m

angel_m

This game is AAA level, fantastic art and design.
    Congratulations!

13. nipoco

nipoco

Congratulations!
    That's really top notch!

14. Skjalg

Skjalg

Thanks guys.

The music is made by blake robison (http://www.youtube.com/user/dummeh?feature=g-all-u) and he is a DREAM to work with. Super awesome guy.

Also, the grappling hook has been redone from scratch and I think it works so much better now.

PS;
    regarding the title. "New Horizons" is the area you are a pirate in, so its not that we're not native speakers its just that we're not communicating this fact :(

15. warby

warby

thanks guys ! yeah the title is gramaticly identical to "gangs of new york" i guess ... new york or new horizons being a location.

we had a couple of "dream titles" we wanted to give the game but they where all already take ( mostly by other indie games no less O_0 ) ... i still havent givin up hope that one of them well give up and sell us their domains ^^

16. nofosu1

nofosu1

Dude! Seriously, my jaw dropped. Great work so far. I love checking out the showcase and WIP section of the forum. It always inspires me to want to work harder on my own projects. Thumbs up

17. TBYG

TBYG

Amazing work. Very stunning visually, and seems very good gameplay.

I do have one small critique. When the story/text comes up on the screen it is rather bland. Maybe you could spice up that GUI element a little? Maybe have the page like a book, and when you press E it flips to another page? It just seems out of place to me, because everything else is very colorful and very well done!

Looking forward to trying out the finished product!

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Aha!

But can you fix the logo a little? the "of new" part does seem rather small - a great logo should be understandable from a distance too. I really, really want this game to do well. Just look at the energy behind it, the indie passion. You guys have done something special.

Eric's right - I was a little hard on it because I guess I was annoyed about the small things that might stop this from being truly perfect (from a personal POV ofc!!)

Because in the logo, it has "of new" as lower-case which made me think it was just a boring sentence when it should be:

Pirates of New Horizons :) in which case it is pretty GOOD title :D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  19. Airship

Airship

Awesome work guys!

20. HolBol

HolBol

This is absolutely fantastic. A big inspiration to everyone here, I'm sure. I've been playing this since the first demo, and loved it then- it's even better now.

Would you be willing to give tips on how certain effects where created and the like? I'd love to know.

21. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

My honest, no joking, first thought was "Why is a professional studio title spamming Unity forums?"

Jeez, talk about hitting every angle. You've got the music, the art, and the game. Oh and I like the name, although it did make me wonder if it was affiliated with New Horizons on the SNES.

Now my only question is, console release?

22. Kinrove

Kinrove

Yes, it has a very nice aesthetic, it gives the envy to play it, keep it up :)

23. Ethan

Ethan

Great art, great music, great game!

I love the shaders you are using - especially the one one the characters.

24. Skjalg

Skjalg

Thanks guys :)

25. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

reminds me of zelda/mario sunshine... Insainly cool... Good job and good luck for the future :D

26. Zacker

Zacker

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

We would very much like this game to come out on the consoles and we have for a long while been pushing for that. Getting those release slots is everything but easy though, so we can not promise anything yet. Should anything have any excellent contacts at Microsoft or publishers then feel very free to send them our way :)

27. nukeD

nukeD

I've waited for news on PONH since the first demo. This is inspiring, beautiful and reminds me of the days when games had color, were simple and enjoyable!
    I got the Captain Edition! I know you'll finish it... the universe is counting on you!

28. Ocid

Ocid

Very nice guys.

I remember seeing this over a year ago then it kind of disappeared and was wondering what had happened to it. Love the art style you're going with.

Don't have any money for the next week or two but I'll sure to drop a pre-order on it when I can.

29. Sbd

Sbd

This shows how awesome a game made in Unity can be :D

30. warby

warby

sure dude pm or ask here i am more than willing to reveal(brag) how the fx are done ... i assume you are talking about actual particle fx and such right ? because thats my domain :)

31. warby

warby

the snes game there i have never heared of and at first i thought somebody photoshoped that title in there ... but i will definitely check it out now. (we are also not affiliated with that e-learning company or that nasa probe ^^)